Hello!

I've been playing now for about a year, and aside from the 3 times I broke a string, I have not changed my strings. I figured it is well past time as my guitar probably sounds like @$$ because of it.

I had a pack of Ernie Ball strings from the last time I broke a string as backups. Today I picked up another pack of strings, a cheaper brand to backup these. My question is about the gauge of the strings. The EB strings are .010 - .046 gauge and the newer ones are .009 - .042. Does the .01 difference in string gauge make much difference? I don't think I would want to end up mixing and matching these strings, but I don't know a lot about it honestly.

I'm changing the strings on a Jay Turser 6 string electric guitar. If anyone also knows of a good online guide to changing strings that would be helpful. I've never done, but I don't think it is rocket science. So far I know I have to stretch them some before I tune up the guitar.

Thanks in advance...
How did you keep playing the guitar after you broke the string 3 times?!

Those new strings should be fine, but you may need to adjust your intonation a bit. Definitely do not mix and match the strings - just change them all into the new ones.

As for a guide on how to change the strings, here you go! This is the link to part 1, after it's done, just click on part 2 on the related videos. It's a really good step by step way and helped me change my first set of strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHeFA_qlR0I
Last edited by SnoDog at Feb 10, 2008,
Ha.. what I still had 3 strings left man... :grin: No, I was fortunate it broke twice at the music store and the third time I dragged it into the store and they very graciously popped the new one on for me. The store where I get lessons is very good about just making adjustments like that for no charge. Still, I think after a year I should learn to walk at least.

Thanks for the reply and the links. I managed to change them last night and it went ok for the most part, just slow. I do have a little problem with my top 2 strings (E & A). I am getting some buzz when I hold down frets on these strings. Not sure if that has to do with the gauge difference or not. I went with the 10's.

Also, for whatever reason I cannot manage to get the A string to register on the Korg tuner I have. I think I'm just going to have to tune that one by ear instead.
There should be no problem mix & match (some professionals do) but the people on this forum sometimes want you to believe that your guitar is made out of glass. There are general problems with all string changes, and most say once your got a gauge you like to get the getter set up by a store, but I personally was not much for commitment.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Also, for whatever reason I cannot manage to get the A string to register on the Korg tuner I have. I think I'm just going to have to tune that one by ear instead.

Just on that, it is quite normal on lower class tuners or at least mine. Can you set it to fix on one pitch or will it only auto select? (I mean can you set it so when you play E it still shows a flat A) as that may help. Otherwise just tune using beats. Also try plugging your guitar in directly if you can & haven't already.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Quote by bpazolli
Just on that, it is quite normal on lower class tuners or at least mine. Can you set it to fix on one pitch or will it only auto select? (I mean can you set it so when you play E it still shows a flat A) as that may help. Otherwise just tune using beats. Also try plugging your guitar in directly if you can & haven't already.

Yes, I was plugged in directly. And it is auto select. Cheaper tuner so I guess I get what I pay for with it. I just tuned it by ear using the 5th fret E and D strings as a guide. It sounds right now.