So, I was thinking of putting some 9's on instead of 10's. Then I thought, hell, why not some 11's or 12's after that?
My question being, would I need to have the nut filed or anything to fit the larger gauge strings? I know I'd have to adjust string height and intonation and crap, I just don't wanna permanently alter my guitar just so I could try some different gauges.

My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I never did anything to my nut, and I went from Zakk Wylde Boomers ( Boomers - .10, .13, .17, .36, .52, .60 )

to DR .09s ( .09 - .42 )
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
If you change string gauge, GET THE FRGGIN TRUSS ROD ADJUSTED. Believe me, If you don't and go from .10's to .11's or .12's, the neck WILL bow. But otherwise, no, no nut filing is needed; most nuts can be fitted from .09's to .12's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's weird too, my neck didn't bow one bit going from essentially .12s to .09s? haha all I had to do was adjust my intonation and all was good.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
going back in forth between 9 and 10 is not a big deal, but you will have to get it set up for 11's or 12's
Yeah, I figured. If I just went to 11's though, it wouldn't bow THAT much, would it? I can imagine slightly, but not horrificly
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by ibanez_rocker
It's weird too, my neck didn't bow one bit going from essentially .12s to .09s? haha all I had to do was adjust my intonation and all was good.

No, I'm saying if you change the string gauge to a heavier gauge, the neck has too much relief and will bow.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ Yes.

Changing string gauge can require careful checking of setup. BTW, my Parker can handle .09s only. If I go >.043 (i.e. .010-.046), the nut will require recutting on the bass strings. They simply won't fit into the slots.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1