hi, i want a new tube amp. Budget= <$1000 i want an amp that can do The Who, and SRV, a really awesome overdrive...but also good cleans for jazzy stuff. I like the Hiwatt DR103 but its monies. What amp do you guy think i should get for this sound. ALso, i play a fender amer. strat and tele...
also, what pedals could i use to try and get a SRV type overdrive?
Fender Deville
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Use an Ibanez Tube Screamer for SRV overdrive.
I plays guitars.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Are you looking for a stack or a combo?

His budget would provide for a much better combo than stack.
peavey delta blues fro shizzle.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by wylde_overdrive
His budget would provide for a much better combo than stack.

Well.....there's the Bugera 6260 head & 412 BK cab for like...$700!!
The heads 120 watts of ****ing tube power!!!!

BTW, I'm buying the Bugera 6260 head. .
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Well.....there's the Bugera 6260 head & 412 BK cab for like...$700!!
The heads 120 watts of ****ing tube power!!!!

BTW, I'm buying the Bugera 6260 head. .

That would totally give him an SRV tone...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
^^i wouldn't mind a stack or a combo, aas long as it sounds good. 120 watts is alot for the stuff i do, gigs at schools/parties/ etc. but i will look at the Bugera...and peavey...i recently borrowed a Deville, and it was a great amp but not quite what i wanted...

edit: Would the BYOC Screamer be a good pedal for SRV tones, and does anyone know any mods to do to it for more SRV-like overdrive.
Last edited by play th' geetar at Feb 10, 2008,
Peavey classic is a nice amp. Not sure if it'll do SRV as well as you'd want it though. It's more of a british voiced amp, I don't listen to alot of The Who, but I think it should be able to get pete's tone reasonably well. It has a quite marshally sound to it.
For getting an SRV type overdrive, either crank an amp's clean channel, or a nice tubescreamer, or both .
If you need an example on what kind of sounds a peavey classic can get, there's some recordings on my profile showing a range of sounds it can get.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I would definitely look at some older reverbs, or maybe a vibrolux. Add a tubescreamer or an OCD and you'd have all the clean and overdriven tones you could ever want.

Edit: and by older I mean like a reissue or something, because you ain't gonna get a pre cbs deluxe.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
I would definitely look at some older reverbs, or maybe a vibrolux. Add a tubescreamer or an OCD and you'd have all the clean and overdriven tones you could ever want.

Edit: and by older I mean like a reissue or something, because you ain't gonna get a pre cbs deluxe.

This is good advice. Look at Fenders that are NOT part of the hotrod series. These will absolutely nail the SRV tone w/ a Tubescreamer (or 2 ).
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by play th' geetar
alright, ill look at the fenders...
2 tubescreamers? ahhh!!

That's what stevie used. Had the first one on lower gain and level and used it like a preamp for the next one.
What did he have the next one on?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
A higher setting I would assume. Probably not much gain still as his amp was probably already fairly cranked. I know sometimes he used neither and just turned it up to 12.
hmm, interesting. i might have to get 2 tubescreamers, maybe with different specs?
I looked at the fender website and found a couple of amps that looked good....

'65 Deluxe Reverb
Custom Vibrolux Reverb
Blues Junior
Blues Deluxe Reissue

Are any of these suitable for the tone i am looking for?
Last edited by play th' geetar at Feb 12, 2008,
All of those are pretty close to what you're looking for. It really just depends on wattage and price.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.