As a little experiment im trying to build an electric guitar out of random parts of wood that i have laying around the house.

So what i did was i found a nice sized chunk of cedar for the body and i started to carve out the shape (custom MrNick shape). I know cedar isnt ever used for electrics but i want to try it out and see how it works.

But what i cant seem to figure out is how wide to make some of the holes. im not talking about pots but rather the pickups themselfs. im going with some single coil pups and i cant find the exact measurements of them on any website.

Does anyone have the measurements of the pups on a strat? thanks it would realy help.

Just in case i decide to use humbuckers does anyone have those measurements?

Also if im useing a tune-o-matic bridge (i dont want to mess with a tremelo) what distance from the bridge should the intonation adjuster (sorry forgot the name) be?

Ill post up pics as soon i as have them.
What I would suggest is to determine all dimensions with the parts in situ. That means you can best proceed in the following order;

Obtain a suitable neck and carve a neck pocket to suit it.

After you have carved the outer shape of the body and fitted the neck and know where the frets are you can get the stop piece (or string holes if you want to go string through) lined up and fitted and start to figure out the exact position of the bridge. This can be done by putting the partially assembled bridge wedged underneath the strings floating style. Set the action by shimming it up with wood or carton (obviously you have fitted the tuners, topnut and strings in this stage) Intonation measurements will show you then where the holes should be drilled to accomodate the threaded bushes that hold the bridge.

If everything is working well and the project is on the right track, buy the desired pick-ups and then determine the place where they should be. You can use the pups as templates to figure out the cavities you'll have to mill out.

Trying to make holes in advance and expecting them to be in the right place is too big a leap for an amateur. Without using the most advanced CAD, high tech measuring devices and CNC tooling even professionals won't pull it off to prepare a one off prototype to take up crucial parts that still have to arrive at the workshop.
I for myself can't even make a barn door fit by measuring in once place and fabricating in another.