ive been wondering lately, what are the differences, (besides the obvious ones like tone, and price ect.) between my amp, a fender hot rod deluxe, and lets say a deluxe reverb? I mean as far as electrical components go, whats different in these amps? especially when it comes to tone stacks and stuff. I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff. Also, is it at all possible to make my HRD sound more deluxe reverb-y?
thanks for any help at all, and i apologize for such a stupid thing to ask.
Last edited by chea_man at Feb 10, 2008,
for one thing, your HRD is made in Mexico (or something like that) while a 65DRRI is an American made amp...=more expensive. Its a similar debate to MIM vs. MIA guitars. Are the MIA's really worth that much more?? I think they are, simply for the attention to detail, and the wood. For amps its the same thing, and I much perfer a 65DRRI to an HRD, although both are nice.
Quote by hawk5211
for one thing, your HRD is made in Mexico (or something like that) while a 65DRRI is an American made amp...=more expensive. Its a similar debate to MIM vs. MIA guitars. Are the MIA's really worth that much more?? I think they are, simply for the attention to detail, and the wood. For amps its the same thing, and I much perfer a 65DRRI to an HRD, although both are nice.

thanks for the response, but those are kind of the obvious things that i wasn't really looking for. burt also you said the wood is different. I read once somewhere that ALL fender tube amps are made from pine, not particle board. However Ive never beleived it, so you just reassured me.
^sry, the wood i was refering to was the guitar body, with MIA being 1 piece and the cheaper MIM and squire being 3piece.

When it comes to upgrades and such, I believe the higher quality amps come with better tubes, better/higher rating speaker (Ie your HRD has a 50W speaker, 65DRRI has 100), and just generally higher quality components. Im not a good authority on this subject, and this is just what i have gathered over the past while.
oh ok, well thanks. haha.
i was kind of hoping someone would say something like "the HRD has x components on its pcb, and the DRRI has y. you can make the hrd sound more like the drri by doing z"
Quote by chea_man
ive been wondering lately, what are the differences, (besides the obvious ones like tone, and price ect.) between my amp, a fender hot rod deluxe, and lets say a deluxe reverb? I mean as far as electrical components go, whats different in these amps? especially when it comes to tone stacks and stuff. I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff.
Actually, the tonestack is one of the few things that's the same, between the DR and the HRD. The HRD also has a presence control and the "middle" has a pot on the HRD, where the DR is just a fixed resistor. That's about where the positives for the HRD end. It also has more stages of gain (4 instead of just 2) before the PI. But many argue that the increased gain is not all that attractive, because the HRD doesn't have a great OD sound.

The output stage of the HRD is 40 watts, and uses 6L6 valves.
The output stage of the DR is 20 watts, and uses 6V6 valves.
imho, 6V6s sound much sweeter than 6L6s.

The power supply of the HRD uses a solid state rectifier.
The power supply of the DR uses a valve rectifier.
Valve rectifiers cause the voltage to sag, under load.
This might seem like a drawback, but it's just the opposite.
Sag sounds great. It adds to the distortion and is similar to compression.

The HRD uses solid state ICs to drive and recover the signal to the reverb springs.
The DR uses valves.

There are other differences, but those are the main ones that I can think of, right now.

Quote by chea_man
Also, is it at all possible to make my HRD sound more deluxe reverb-y?
Any modifications to the circuit, or a complete circuit re-design, should be performed by someone with more experience than you say you have.
And it would take some major re-design to make a HRD into a DR.

Quote by chea_man

thanks for any help at all, and i apologize for such a stupid thing to ask.
Not your fault.

Fender should have called it a Hot Rod Vibrolux. At least that used 6L6's in the output stage. The only thing the HRD and DR really have in common are they both use a 12 inch speaker. The Eminence speaker in the HRD is better than the Oxford in many of the DRs, but not as nice, imho, as the Jensen in some of them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
wow thanks alot SYK. when i asked if anything could be done to make it sound more deluxe reverby, i meant is there anything my guitar/electronics guy can do to it haha. so do you know of any mods i can do?