I just bought a bass and I was wondering if it is bad to have your thumb anchoring your right hand on pickups or neck. Also, any other beginner advice would be cool.
i personally anchor my thumb on the E string while playing on any other string. but i don't anchor my thumb on anything in particular when playing on the E string. remember that the pickup placement will change when you get a better bass in the future so it would feel weird to change you hand placement after you just got it down on your first bass.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Feb 10, 2008,
if youve read any "how to" book on bass u would realize that thats what u r supposed to do...cept when u move to a higher string then u anchor on the E...or low b if its a 5
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
its all about preference some believe you can reach further, and its more comfortable to anchor their thumb on their lowest string (usually the E) I personally find it more comfortable to anchor my thumb on the pickups.

The neck isn't a very good place to put it, as it doesn't give a very good tone.
ya i forgot to mention that zar. if you rest your hand on the neck you will get a lot of clanking from your strings hitting your frets. maybe not so much on your first bass because they tend to have higher action when they're cheaper but on my Made In Japan Ibanez the action is so low I'm having to learn to play softer...and i play at the bridge about. But man is the neck comfortable.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
ya i forgot to mention that zar. if you rest your hand on the neck you will get a lot of clanking from your strings hitting your frets. maybe not so much on your first bass because they tend to have higher action when they're cheaper but on my Made In Japan Ibanez the action is so low I'm having to learn to play softer...and i play at the bridge about. But man is the neck comfortable.

the action on nearly all basses is adjustable, so if that's causing you a problem, go ahead and raise it a bit. But if you like it, more power to you.