Today I was at my cousin's house jamming with him today (Him on drums, me on guitar)

So anyway, I was using a MG30DFX amp, and when to volume on overdrive was 12 o'clock and gain, bass and contour on 3 o'clock and treble on 12 o'clock

When it at these settings, it had more feedback than sound and the feedback was getting in the way the whole time

So, what do i need to do to fix this, and don't say new amp because i only have this amp as a practice amp
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
move away from the amp? thats the only thing you can do other then just go get a new amp. 30 watts of tube will go ALOT farther then 30 watts of solid state

sorry, not much help
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 10, 2008,
It's a low wattage solid state. What do you expect?
Unlike tube amps, solid state amplifiers don't handle being pushed very well. It results in harsh distortion. You do need a new amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah, but i was using a small 2-3 meter cord, i also have a 6 meter cord, should I try that instead?

And is the feedback the reason for these amp's hatred?

Anyway, I wanted a 50w but instead my dad got me a 30w
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

one of the extended lists and endless lists of hatred
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
Try turning the gain down? Stand further away from the amp? Or you could buy a noise suppressor/gate, but if you take the cost of that plus the pedals you want in your sig, that money would be better spent on a good amp since MG's aren't great for band practice/gigs.

30 tube watts goes farther than anyone thinks (at first anyway). I've played good sized gigs with the volume on my classic 30 on 4 out of 12. 30 solid state watts don't carry anywhere near as well.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
your problem is like my mine although they are just practice amps they are mg series marshals and they are not that good

i end up just plugging head phones directly into my behringer pedal and play with that.

we can't really sell them either cause no one wants them
song stuck in my head today

Yeah, but they re alright practice amps

I might save up one time for a proper marshall, i'll just have to see
Quote by Bartleby

Quote by UncleCthulhu

Quote by rageandlove04
30 tube watts goes farther than anyone thinks (at first anyway). I've played good sized gigs with the volume on my classic 30 on 4 out of 12. 30 solid state watts don't carry anywhere near as well.

+1 (except that you are referring to 30 watts valve and 30 watts solid state as different units - they are the same thing)

I've had my Laney VC30 for a few days, with the volume at 3 it shakes the house. not taken it to a band practice or gigged with it yet, but i can't wait to for bedroom practice i usually have the volume at 1
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
People make me laugh with the whole "I got an MG and it sounds bad and the feedback's bad what can I do about it to make me sound like a proper Marshall without buying a new amp" There IS nothing you can do but by a new amp. The MG is bad. Practising on your own you may be able to get away with it (though I wouldn't want to) but for anything other than that you need a decent amp, preferably tube for most styles. Unless it's one of the exceptions to the SS rule, like a JC-120 or something.
Put it on a chair or a table, it will seem to be louder and you don't have to crank the volume that much to keep up with the drums.
I'd be scratching the Boss DF2 off your wish list too...sounds like the last thing you need is MORE feedback
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
put the amp in front of and pointing away from you.

put the amp on a chair, like said.

lower ur gain, like said.

use the longer cable.

save for a good amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Dimster Ds
Yeah, but they re alright practice amps

I might save up one time for a proper marshall, i'll just have to see

That's tough in general. In Australia, it's near impossible.

Maybe you could look to sell both amps you have listed in your sig, and find something like a Peavey Bandit or Roland Cube 60. Neither should break the bank, and they'd each be a big improvement in sound and volume over what you're currently using.

Good luck!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You have the MG30 for a practice amp...and the FM15 for...gigging? It's fine having two practice amps if you have...two houses. But +1 to Slats' advice.
wait is this harmonic feedback or the other disgusting kind?.....
- cuz putting your amp on a chair increases some types of feedback as its on a level with ur strings