Page 1 of 2
Much to my dismay, i have finally come to a point in my playing that i know that im not going to make a career out of it. so...

So i finally found out what i might wanna do,
It puts together my love of playing music and guitar and a career goal which i might hope to achieve.

im still in high school, 3 years from Uni and i was just wondering what jobs, career oppurtunities tehre are, and how much $$ there is.
what i might need to study or anything. any suggestions are good

like what do u call a person who is at the forefront of building new amps or guitars for the top companies? is tehre anyone that works in this field?
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
haha i had that same question, for one who designs amps, or say a multi effects pedal. Electrical Engineering?
I believe they're called Luthiers.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
music composition and sound production is the course i hope to get into in uni next year. that course is awesome. music management maybe?
find a music college, where are you located?
im from melbourne AUS
but i know for sure that i wont get into any good unis outside of AUS so yea.. and EE is super hard ive heard... and u have to be awesome at maths.

i cant do anything to do with music theory eitehr, so yea.

is it worth it money wise? (taking away the love of guitar)
if it were purely money we're talking bout here. hows the ch-ching swing?
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at Feb 10, 2008,
well of course i love it y else would i want a job in this industry in the first place?
it'd just be nice to know that i can financially cope too??

~Napoleon Bonaparte
do you have any idea how many bands form in university years then get big following? don't give up your dream man, you have tons of time
Quote by succi
do you have any idea how many bands form in university years then get big following? don't give up your dream man, you have tons of time

i dream man... but tbh i really am not good, i know dozens who play better, know more, and still get no where.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Well my dad works at a ford ad agency. within it they have a recording studio for commercials. He's planning on getting me a part time internship through my school when I'm a senior. Through that I'll learn the recording business and maybe become a studio musician. Getting into luthiery is sort of the same, there's always a first stepping stone, like getting a job as a repair man at a guitar store first, build guitars or amps in your spare time, start selling them, etc. etc.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by dayvbayb
i dream man... but tbh i really am not good, i know dozens who play better, know more, and still get no where.

Getting famous isn't only skill man. It is more luck than anything. And you're 3 years away from college, do you realize how much better you can get in 3 years if you REALLY practice?
^^^
My thoughts exactly.
To add on, even if you're not a shred good, you can always be a rhythm player in a great band if you get to where you have your own unique style. If your band is creative and new, you can be big even if you can't shred.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
I'm going to to Electronic Engineering with Music Technology at York University next year. It's basically Electronic Engineering but with a music aspect to it.

Should be really interesting.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
how about working in a music shop.
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Well you've all mentioned what courses you're learning and so on but what would that mean if i were studyung from high school? and 3 years til Uni means 3 years of stress, work and hardly any time to play the guitar...
I go to an academic selective school, so the work is pretty heavy on. since the pressure is on us to do well in our exams.

Electrical Engineering?
that means physics and maths right?
what does this course actually lead to, i've only just begun thinking about where i want o go when i leave school so i dont know much about this and or anything to do with Uni courses. I dunno what to look for in the courses available in Melbourne, Aus.

Quote by ManicBluesist
how about working in a music shop.

and where can that lead to?

thanks all

Quote by eXperiment63
Getting famous isn't only skill man. It is more luck than anything. And you're 3 years away from college, do you realize how much better you can get in 3 years if you REALLY practice?

Quote by PimpedOutSquier
^^^
My thoughts exactly.
To add on, even if you're not a shred good, you can always be a rhythm player in a great band if you get to where you have your own unique style. If your band is creative and new, you can be big even if you can't shred.

note: I've played 2 years self taught, under very limited circumstances. big holes in my music theory knowledge and skill. plus I've become more of a guitar enthusiast lately...

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at Feb 11, 2008,
So beef up your work ethic. There are plenty of great guitarists on this very site who taught themselves everything they know, including theory. It just takes time and effort man.
Quote by eXperiment63
So beef up your work ethic. There are plenty of great guitarists on this very site who taught themselves everything they know, including theory. It just takes time and effort man.

should have mentioned ive taken care of that, this school year is purely based on music for me. im doing a music performance class and music composition class as well as theory lessons.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
im doing music industry at tafe as a tvet course along side school, starts tomorow if that goes well, then i will recommend it to u.

btw im in year 12 this year, so u've got plenty of time to decide.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
what do u do in music industry?
and what were u learning in years 11 and 12?
im from VIC and we call teh subjects VCE subjects i dno about NSW though.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by dayvbayb

Just go to Box Hill man.
I did, it was great.
Quote by Gymmeh
Just go to Box Hill man.
I did, it was great.

unfortunately its not that simple mate. family pressure...
dont wanna get into it.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote by dayvbayb

It's basically training to be roadcrew, music production, music recording, performance, business side of music and all that.

I'm doing:
English
Maths
Music
Legal Studies
Business (have to drop after a few weeks of music industry)
and Music Industry

last year was practically same thing except i did I.T as well.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
what maths?
and i definitely know that i wont be ALLOWED to do any arts subjects in 11 and 12.
most likely

English
Maths Methods
Maths Spec. (still thinking..)
Accounting
biology
physics

idont know about the last 1 or 2 subjects though..

~Napoleon Bonaparte
general maths, if i do 2 unit, i'm gona have to make maths my life and i cant stand maths.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
lol neither, its become such a chore.
no expression at all. its all so plain and robotic.

too bad i can do it, though struggling.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
lucky my parents let me make my own decisions, i just wanna do something that i love.
i'd rather just barely survive on a musician's paycheck than be rich and do something that i dont enjoy.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
lucky my parents let me make my own decisions, i just wanna do something that i love.
i'd rather just barely survive on a musician's paycheck than be rich and do something that i dont enjoy.

lucky you, i cant make that decision, i have to support my whole family... we're poor as **** andi probably will be liveing with them till i'm 40...kidding
i'm out of here once i get the cash and find teh place

~Napoleon Bonaparte
That blows man.
I got to make my own choices, and I love my life.

I only ever get pressure from my parents to actually GET a job whenever I quit one. It rules, cause it means I constantly have money.
YEAH.
Well, you have a few options depending on what you like.

Luthier (building instruments) - talk to Ormsby about this (he's Perth based)
Electrical engineering (designing/building circuits for amps/pedals etc.) - talk to The Random Hero about this (he's currently studying this and is based in qld)
Sound Engineering (setting mics etc. up, mixing etc.) - Doesn't really have formal qualifications.
Acoustic something (architecture for concert halls and stuff) - if you like architecture/design
Management - if you like business/commerce
Reviews - if you like writing

Probably more that I missed.

What year are you in and what subjects are you doing and what scores are you getting?
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Well, you have a few options depending on what you like.

Luthier (building instruments) - talk to Ormsby about this (he's Perth based)
Electrical engineering (designing/building circuits for amps/pedals etc.) - talk to The Random Hero about this (he's currently studying this and is based in qld)
Sound Engineering (setting mics etc. up, mixing etc.) - Doesn't really have formal qualifications.
Acoustic something (architecture for concert halls and stuff) - if you like architecture/design
Management - if you like business/commerce
Reviews - if you like writing

Probably more that I missed.

What year are you in and what subjects are you doing and what scores are you getting?

thanks,

I see that u go to melbourne uni, any courses at MU that would fulfil my interests?

i'll probably look toward the first 2 options.
im in year 10 at a selective school so my grades would be pretty good compared to teh states average as im doing pretty well (last year anyway). it too early to determine how im going so far this year.

im doing jus the basic subjects, general elective are history/politics (no idea y i chose this), VCE biology unit 1
arts electives are music craft (basically, music performance class as well as learning music theory and review writing etc... really good i like it, but we have to sing every class...) and music compostion which is pretty straight forward.

are ormsby and random hero both on UG or do i have to go find them elsewhere?

~Napoleon Bonaparte
They're both on UG hence I suggested them.

Well the first two you really need a background in those types of areas. If you want to get into luthiering you gotta start working with wood, also des tech would help. If you wanna do electrical engineering you need to do physics and chem as well as maths methods or spec.

Also, would you be able to make your sig a big smaller (vertical-wise)? It's kinda long.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr
They're both on UG hence I suggested them.

Well the first two you really need a background in those types of areas. If you want to get into luthiering you gotta start working with wood, also des tech would help. If you wanna do electrical engineering you need to do physics and chem as well as maths methods or spec.

Also, would you be able to make your sig a big smaller (vertical-wise)? It's kinda long.

haha sure.

des tech??
maths and science are my archenemy, but I'll persist if it means getting into this business.
when are these two on UG? do u know how often? probably not, but yea.
with EE, would i just do that course alone or do anotehr too? (something along those lines, i really have no idea what im talking bout.)

anything offered at MU?

EDIT: well i just checked the two guys out, ormsby is on quite alot and he seems cool, bu random hero is never on and i was think more of getting into EE. btw what would that lead to? EE? get a job at a guitar store whilst studying repairing amps and stuff? then where?

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by dayvbayb
haha sure.

des tech??
Design and Technology - unit 1/2 and 3/4 subject. If its offered at your school itll be offered at other year levels too.
maths and science are my archenemy, but I'll persist if it means getting into this business.
To be honest, if you struggle with maths and science then this may not be the path for you.
when are these two on UG? do u know how often? probably not,
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ormsby+guitars/
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/the_random_hero/
but yea.
with EE, would i just do that course alone or do anotehr too? (something along those lines, i really have no idea what im talking bout.)
Just EE. You could do a minor in music if you can take minors from other faculties, but it would probably be pretty worthless.

anything offered at MU?
MU?

EDIT: well i just checked the two guys out, ormsby is on quite alot and he seems cool, bu random hero is never on and i was think more of getting into EE. btw what would that lead to? EE? get a job at a guitar store whilst studying repairing amps and stuff? then where?
TRH is on every day pretty much. If you come into chat you might be able to catch him during evening hours.

I'm not exactly sure how you would get into the industry, but you'd probably have to get some other job or internship first because all those guys would want experience.

Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr

Design and Technology - unit 1/2 and 3/4 subject. If its offered at your school itll be offered at other year levels too.

my VCE subjects are basically predetermined for me... I'm asian therefore I'm doing the "asian 5 (or 6)" I try so hard not to but im having some doubts with this battle of mine.

Quote by xifr
To be honest, if you struggle with maths and science then this may not be the path for you.

Not really struggle, but i get lazy sometimes which causes me to miss important things and not understand in teh future. but, like the asian that i am, i'm getting tutoring for Methods and spec. in advanced. I'm trying really hard to up my work ethic thius year. so by the end of the year, i'll know if its my path or not

Quote by xifr
Just EE. You could do a minor in music if you can take minors from other faculties, but it would probably be pretty worthless.

Quote by xifr
MU?

Sorry, I meant Melbourne Uni, i dno how u abbreviate it.

Quote by xifr
I'm not exactly sure how you would get into the industry, but you'd probably have to get some other job or internship first because all those guys would want experience.

yea i'll talk to TRH bout this probs.

thanks for ur help

Quote by Gymmeh
Just go to Box Hill man.
I did, it was great.

just wondering... what did u do at box hill TAFE?

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by dayvbayb at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by dayvbayb
Sorry, I meant Melbourne Uni, i dno how u abbreviate it.
Melb isn't really renowned for their engineering program these days. For engineering I'd try to get into either monash or rmit.

Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Instrument Tech
Producer
Roadcrew
Promoter
Lighting Tech
Songwriter
Merchandiser
Agents
Managers
Event Organiser
Film clip Director
CD/DVD Distributor
Music/Gear Reviewer
Instrument Sales/Repair

Just a few cool jobs that you could do that's music related. Went to my first lesson of Music Industry yesterday, seems like its gona be an awesome year.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
tagged
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
tagged

??

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Page 1 of 2