Page 1 of 3
With all this hype over Vancouver's acquisition of the 2010 winter games I can never stop hearing about the big countdown to 2010, as if all the world's problems will go away, and candy will grow upon the trees, and all the people will be happy and content.

It seems that society glorifies athletes too much. You can make millions of dollars a year, get big sponsorships, and be labeled a hero just for playing a pro sport or winning an Olympic medal. There are people doing more important things with their lives than hitting a baseball or running one-hundred meters in less than ten seconds. I enjoy watching a game of soccer every now and then, but I could care less for athletics.

Athletics are so celebrated that athletes and sports teams have been turned in to products, and have, to my surprise, thrived. Thoughts? Comments?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Did you just get cut from the track team?
Maybe a girl beat him on a street race.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Did you just get cut from the track team?

Well, people deserve the stuff they get for all the training they go through. I wouldn't necessarily call them heroes though. People like fire fighters are heroes, not athletes.
Quote by fob12
Maybe a girl beat him on a street race.

lol! That happened to me once. Of course, she ran a 4:30 mile.
well, athletes work hard but then again, the same hard work goes a lot of other jobs. What I hate is that if you don't play in high school, people think your like not human. At least at my school thats how it is
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yes, very much overrated. Where are the people getting praised for helping people and making society a better place? I agree sports are fun to watch/play etc but they arent THAT great compared to some other stuff people are trying/have achieved.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Big shocker TS: Someone, somewhere, likes what you dislike.

I'm sure many people in real life would say the same about your ****ing metal you listen to, like it is the only good music out there.

It's all the same, over glorified, but with reason.

A kid with nothing sees Jordan getting endorsements for his game, maybe the guy decides to get into basketball; a kid with nothing sees Van Halen shredding, decides to get into music/guitar.

It goes both ways, if you say sports are over glorified and can't say music is, you have a biased opinion.

inb4 flame wars, I am right.
I really don't see what the problem is, there is a lot of hype about other things as well that don't make any "more sense". I guess the athletics thing all has to do with national pride and being the best at something (duh); right now here in China there is, quite obviously, a big hype about the Olympics coming up... wherever you go.

And yeah I also think that doing physical activities and pushing your body is a great thing... no need and try to take something away from those people. (In China it happens that these athletes don't even have much of a childhood... they train every single day in special schools until their bodies break down and they are useless someday)
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by Inertia//Creep

I'm sure many people in real life would say the same about your ****ing metal you listen to, like it is the only good music out there.

A kid with nothing sees Jordan getting endorsements for his game, maybe the guy decides to get into basketball; a kid with nothing sees Van Halen shredding, decides to get into music/guitar.

It goes both ways, if you say sports are over glorified and can't say music is, you have a biased opinion.

I don't listen to metal, I don't like Van Halen... Why would you assume that?
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Canne
(In China it happens that these athletes don't even have much of a childhood... they train every single day in special schools until their bodies break down and they are useless someday)

I've got news for you. Someday we'll all be useless!

-SD
Quote by Mortal Hero
i like athletics.

but policeman, fireman, etc should get paid more than athletes.

When it comes to who deserves it, than yes, but fire departments can't afford to pay that much.

I wish it were different, but it never will be.
Quote by Muphin
I don't listen to metal... Why would you assume that?

Disregard that comment, it doesn't have anything to do with the ****ing thread and was a generalization, plus I am drunk.

Take the other parts into consideration.
Quote by SilentDeftone
I've got news for you. Someday we'll all be useless!

-SD

yes but you know what I mean... for them it usually happens in their mid-20s. Without a normal education the future doesn't look to bright in many cases. But sure it's great as long as it lasts.

edit: and that wasn't really my point. what I was trying to say is that they work/train at least as hard as others for their goals, very often sacrificing other values (as do other people).
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
Quote by -Bloo
Music: Overrated?

lol. Here come the Led Zeppelin/nirvana/beatles/etc sneezes.
Quote by Inertia//Creep

This guy pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

/thread
Sports are overrated. They're great to play, and sometimes fun to watch, but way overrated.
It's all about supporting the best physical achievements the human race is capable of.

But I agree that there is too much money and onus pumped into it.

Who needs to pour money into fighting the worst diseases or feeding the hungry when a new cycle-drome is required for the cycle events!
You can say this for any part of culture. I think many artists are way overpayed, some more so than any athlete.
Athletes get paid a million dollars for keeping us entertained, teachers get paid $50,000 for giving us a future. Honestly, wtf? Athletes are ridiculously overpaid.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by Ringtone
Athletes get paid a million dollars for keeping us entertained, teachers get paid $50,000 for giving us a future. Honestly, wtf? Athletes are ridiculously overpaid.

Actually it's our fault.

Morally, teachers deserve more, but economically, they don't. NOW NOW hear me out!

The reason professional athletes deserve the money is because they produce the entertainment. We consumers buy the entertainment at an extremely high rate.

So while the players may not do something as important as teach, what they do earns them more money, and we are the ones who fund it. Back in the 50's and 60's, professional athletes made 15-20 thousand a year TOPS. Most had second jobs. It wasn't until it became commercialized that they started making more money.
UK has never shut up about the 2012 Olympics since it was got.

It is a good thing to encourage people to stay active and try and have a healthy life as this can contribute to many diseases.

If the Nobel Prize was recognised more then it would be great because there is as much value if not more in the contributions these people bring to society. They each have their parts to play.

The sports stars do earn too much money though. They should earn the same as an average doctor because realistically they do the same if not less each to contribute towards the health of the nation than doctors.

Teachers don't earn as much but then they don't each have as widespread an influence towards the public as an average classroom holds 30 kids and an average teacher may influence a few thousand people through their career, and not always for the positive.

Music is overrated financially. Music can have psychological advantages but some of these well paid musicians are a bad influence on the health of the general public, with alcohol, smoking, soft and hard drug taking.

Politicians are also over paid because a lot have their own agendas, can influence the health of the public but choose to not unless it appears to give them a better chance of winning the public vote, and a lot will undermine the healthcare system if it will lower taxes or because the press is giving the healthcare system they won't improve it because of fear that a rise in taxes will lose them the next vote.

There are many more people who are overrated.
Quote by tyronelab
UK has never shut up about the 2012 Olympics since it was got.

It is a good thing to encourage people to stay active and try and have a healthy life as this can contribute to many diseases.

If the Nobel Prize was recognised more then it would be great because there is as much value if not more in the contributions these people bring to society. They each have their parts to play.

The sports stars do earn too much money though. They should earn the same as an average doctor because realistically they do the same if not less each to contribute towards the health of the nation than doctors.

A professional athlete doesn't do squat for preventing diseases. Especially not when compared to a doctor. Nor does he have to go through 10+ years of schooling before he can even perform his job.

Quote by tyronelab
Teachers don't earn as much but then they don't each have as widespread an influence towards the public as an average classroom holds 30 kids and an average teacher may influence a few thousand people through their career, and not always for the positive.

Everyone a teacher influences has a large effect, because that's how you find out what job you want. That an athlete is good doesn't mean very much in that sense.

Quote by tyronelab
Music is overrated financially. Music can have psychological advantages but some of these well paid musicians are a bad influence on the health of the general public, with alcohol, smoking, soft and hard drug taking.

Many athletes (and celebrities in general) experiment with drugs and smoking and alcohol... so that's an irrelevant point. Plus, musicians at least produce something physical and material. You can buy a CD and actually see the author's tangible work. All you can do with an athlete is watch him hit a ball.

Quote by tyronelab
Politicians are also over paid because a lot have their own agendas, can influence the health of the public but choose to not unless it appears to give them a better chance of winning the public vote, and a lot will undermine the healthcare system if it will lower taxes or because the press is giving the healthcare system they won't improve it because of fear that a rise in taxes will lose them the next vote.

Politicians lead and decide the future of our country. Few things can compare to how important that is.

Although I do agree that many of them have their own agenda, and pork-barreling is stupid and ridiculous.

Quote by tyronelab
There are many more people who are overrated.

But few who are as overrated.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Actually it's our fault.

Morally, teachers deserve more, but economically, they don't. NOW NOW hear me out!

The reason professional athletes deserve the money is because they produce the entertainment. We consumers buy the entertainment at an extremely high rate.

So while the players may not do something as important as teach, what they do earns them more money, and we are the ones who fund it. Back in the 50's and 60's, professional athletes made 15-20 thousand a year TOPS. Most had second jobs. It wasn't until it became commercialized that they started making more money.

Why not just donate the money in ticket sales to charity or something? Hitting a ball well doesn't mandate earning millions of dollars...
Quote by JuicyMango
Why not just donate the money in ticket sales to charity or something? Hitting a ball well doesn't mandate earning millions of dollars...

Hitting the ball doesn't, but when people buy a uniform with your name on it, aren't you entitled to some money from it? Like I said, it's our (consumers) fault, if we don't like it, we can stop watching/buying.

As for them donating, it's their money, they can do whatever they want with it.
Quote by Muphin
With all this hype over Vancouver's acquisition of the 2010 winter games I can never stop hearing about the big countdown to 2010, as if all the world's problems will go away, and candy will grow upon the trees, and all the people will be happy and content.

It seems that society glorifies athletes too much. You can make millions of dollars a year, get big sponsorships, and be labeled a hero just for playing a pro sport or winning an Olympic medal. There are people doing more important things with their lives than hitting a baseball or running one-hundred meters in less than ten seconds. I enjoy watching a game of soccer every now and then, but I could care less for athletics.

Athletics are so celebrated that athletes and sports teams have been turned in to products, and have, to my surprise, thrived. Thoughts? Comments?

im guessing ur a fat kid?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
well, athletes work hard but then again, the same hard work goes a lot of other jobs. What I hate is that if you don't play in high school, people think your like not human. At least at my school thats how it is

thats exactly how it is at my school.

i ****ing hate sports more than anything and every time i tell someone that they think im insane.

i just prefer to spend my time doing more productive things.
i mean, i stay in shape and stuff i just find it pointless to devote hours of my day to it.

i like to play/listen to music and hang out with my friends, not wasting my whole week, or season for that matter, doing something i hate with people i hate.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Athletics rules. Asafa Powell is the fastest man who has ever lived. How is that over-rated? If anything they're underrated, nobody seems to care that much.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Athletics doesnt bug me as mutch as religon does. Think of all the great minds and all the funds that have been wasted through the turns of time.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
I bet you dont think Musicians are overrated do you.

EDIT: You guys are all such ****ing hypocrites. I like sports, but I prefer music. But I believe Athletes are no more or less over-rated then musicians. We should over-rate both musicians and athletes more then we do. It takes aload of dedication and skill to make it as a musicians and as a professional athlete. Both Athletes and Musicians can inspire people to do things. If we placed more importance on both creative and physical things we could greatly improve society. More physically fit people and better musicians and artists. I think that would be ****ing great.

Also winning the olympics is a way better achievement then being a good musician. Sports are entirely objective, your either good or your not. Music is way more open to interpretation, meaning some aspects of it can be completely over-rated or criminally under-rated. If you hold the world record for 100m sprint, then you've got something too be really proud of, more so then making a good record.

Anything people get enjoyment out of can not be over-rated. Maybe to you but not too them.

Next time you try to make a point don't leave yourself so open to attack.

EDIT2: I prefer music to sports though, by a long shot. Im just being reasonable.

EDIT3: Athletes deserve their salary as much as musicians or actors do. In an ideal world, the shouldn't get it. But if thats what is payed for entertainment, then athletes deserve it as much as musicians.

And all you people who are talking about hitting a ball, when your playing guitar your just pulling a string to make a noise. Both are equally primitive.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by highway62
you can sya the same about music nubface

Did I ever say that music wasn't overrated?

Popular music is also gratuitously glorified. Not to such an extreme extent as athleticism, but yes, you call it overrated. However, what country funds a musical artist with public money? What city uses public money to book a concert? Some popular musicians may be rich and famous, but it's private business, and my money isn't going to them unless I want it to.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
well i love sports so im biased. Im also biased because i am good at sports.

But i dont think they are, go to a colllege football game and then tell me they're overrated.
What's the big thing about naming stuff overrated? There's a thread like this everyday.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by kidsilcon
What's the big thing about naming stuff overrated? There's a thread like this everyday.

Thank you for contributing, sir.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Page 1 of 3