as the title says, So what exactly is a tube, and what does it do?

i'm really new to this thing. (building, amps, guitars)

i used to just think guitar in amp amp makes makes sound, that was digital sound i ve recently found out. so how does the tube make this sound and y do pple then decide to make digital amps?
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
thanks, lol should have wiki'ed first, but i hoped for less verbose explanations
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

~Napoleon Bonaparte
well obviously the first guitar amps made in like the 1930s weren't digital! Tubes sound really nice, all warm and smooth. The reason people make digital amps is because in theory you have access to hundreds of really expensive tube amp sounds for about 1/10th the price of one of them. Of course you have to spend about £1000 to get one which actually sounds any good. I hope you're not planning on building one btw because if you didn't even know what a valve was then i really wouldn't reccomend it!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
nah i just assumed that everyone in this forum would be experts on this thing

~Napoleon Bonaparte