my blues phrasing needs some improvement. I can imrpov some blues stuff (i can't really improv anything that doesn't sound bluesy except chord progressions) but my phrasing needs improving. any help would be appreciated.
well, my thoughts on improv is - IT'S IMPROV!! if you are thinking about it then it's not improv. it should come from the soul. the only thing you should know before doing an improv is what key you're in and when the chord changes are. anything other than that means it isnt improv.
so, i guess my answer is - stop thinking about it too much. just let it flow. listen for the chord changes and then try to make a "song" within the song with your improv.
Quote by vjferrara
well, my thoughts on improv is - IT'S IMPROV!! if you are thinking about it then it's not improv. it should come from the soul. the only thing you should know before doing an improv is what key you're in and when the chord changes are. anything other than that means it isnt improv.
so, i guess my answer is - stop thinking about it too much. just let it flow. listen for the chord changes and then try to make a "song" within the song with your improv.

yeah it does flow really well, i don't really think, but i finish what im doing too early, so i have to add somethig stupid in, ruining the effect of what i've just done. the phrasing is good when i think about it, but the notes i play sounds better when im not thinking.
This is just my 2 cents, but to improve my phrasing, I just think of a melody that goes well with the progression, but not just any melody, but something that triggers something in me, from melancholy to aggression, whatever you want to let out, then once you have the melody, it's a matter of transposing it to your fingers; then maybe it could be the theme of your solo, then you just build of that one meaningful melody, keeping in mind the chord changes and other dynamics of the progression.
Quote by Zeppelin08
I busted a nut because my g-string was too tight.

Quote by rexreeper99
Hendrix. he played jazz right? lol. im real bad with names.

i guess jazz could work

add me up http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/cactus/
to improve phrasing, one must improve one's sense of timing and structure...

you should work on playing impov licks, but always have a set number of bars in mind. the more you get used to filling "X" number of bars with your phrases, the more natural your phrasing will become.

as for how to improve the phrases themselves... practice. you gotta make up your own style, pinch a few licks from your favorite players, alter them to suit your style, etc etc etc... it's a long-term, never-ending process. as long as you KEEP DOING IT, you will get better.
Quote by Nick_
sing what you play while you play it.

+1, This is good advice, I do it all the time in my head.
The obvious thing to do is work on licks that don't simply ascend or descend down a scale.

Harder than it looks.
Quote by Nick_
sing what you play while you play it.

ah very good idea. thankyou sir.
and to the guys with vai and scott henderson vid, thankyou too. great help.
Here's something that I can't ever stress enough in terms of improv. Someone said that they didn't consider it improv if you thought anything out beyond key of the song and chord progression; for me, I like to hear something in my head, and then express this immediately on the guitar while I'm hearing what I think should be in a given spot. This takes some knowledge of theory and the ability to hear intervals and know which ones are there, though.

Playing the major scale over and over in an effort to improve my technique helped give me the ability to do this. Then someone showed me an excercise using thirds that also improved my ability to hear and recognize different intervals. Then, one day, I was at work listening to Metallica's "Orion" and decided the next day that I wanted to play it. So, it got to the solo, and I heard myself playing the solo note for note. This was a good starting place, because it's not overly complex.

The point is, when you can hear something in your head and express it on the guitar, that's when you can really make your improvs come to life. That's the ultimate goal. This doesn't happen immediately, though.

Of course, there are different opinions on improvisation, but mine is that I want to hear a solo in my head for a song, even while playing it, and having it come out exactly the way I wanted it.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)