Page 1 of 2
Hey, hope this is the right section. Lately I've been seeing a lot of comments about bands (the likes of BFMV) saying that their music is very generic and boring, and that they are copying Metallica. I was just thinking, what makes a song non generic? There aren't many metal bands that stand out as being very different compared to the rest, so are they generic too? How can musicians be "original" anymore?
I don't think you should break your back and try to be way original. There will always be room for GOOD metal thats similar to Metallica or whatever other band.
imo.
everyones different to some extent
if they try to add somthing new and not follow a certain recipe for music (theory if you will, not to be an ass =P )
then it should turn out different.
lots of elements go into one band, and instruments.
so its a matter of filtering out the generic crap.
Quote by Floydyboi
simple, play what you want to play

if you want it to sound like someone else be my guest

but if you want to be original, you gotta play something that no one else has done before or change things, don't just stick to the generic pedal note riffs, im so sick of them.

simple riffs , IMO, are the new way forward

yea of course its hard to come up with original riffs

but even harder to come up with good catchy riffs, which inturn will probably make your songwriting and guitar better

No matter what you're always going to be subconsciously playing similar stuff to whoever you listen to. Anyway, what are generic pedal note riffs?
I think being original nowadays is more about how creatively you apply your influences rather than coming up with something entirely new. there are many things you can do to make yourself sound unique.
One of the things i've been trying with my new band is that every time we write a song we approach it in a different way to what we've been used to before. eg. some songs are born of jams and don't need too much work other than sorting out a structure. other songs we come up with an idea and talk about where everyone thinks it should go and build it up from there. there are loads of possible ways you can approach writing a song. So far trying this has given us some interesting results and produced some greatly varied music while still being similar in style and having a signature sound to it.
Another way to sound original is technology. Using crazy effects and combinations of effects has been done for decades, but there's still new innovations being made and loads of potential variations on what's been done before. There's new synth instruments being made all the time that have yet to be fully explored and applied.

But make sure you don't get carried away with a pursuit of originality. At the end of the day your music should still sound "good".
not follow a certain recipe for music (theory if you will, not to be an ass =P )

Lolwut.jpg

Theory isn't a set of ways to play something, it just shows you what sounds good and what doesn't.
Call me Batman.
the only way to play original is to really feel your music. no big bands like BFMV feel it they just play...no heart/ i really feel that music is going to go back to like the 60's style....RETURN OF THE HIPPIES!
As someone said above me, if you're tying to sound completely original, you're going to fail. You can't. You just have to take your influences and stick them together however sounds good.

Take Sublime, my favorite band, and, IMO, one of the most original bands ever. Nothing they played was really anything new, they just combined reggae, punk, hip hop, rock, ska, into something that, while not being groundbreaking, sounded like nothing else, but more importantly, sounded like themselves.

If you're trying to come up with a new scale, a new chord progression, a new drum beat, you're going to have a hard time. But let's say you take a bluegrass bassline, a metal drum beat, a reggae guitar bit, and, I dunno, a kazoo, you're going to be playing something no one else has played before.

In a nutshell, it's not the components, but the final part that ends up being original. But liking what you write is a lot more important than it being original. There are literally thousands of songs using a I-IV-V progression, and I enjoy most of them.
Quote by crazie_guitar
the only way to play original is to really feel your music. no big bands like BFMV feel it they just play...no heart/ i really feel that music is going to go back to like the 60's style....RETURN OF THE HIPPIES!

uh huh...... and we should probably stop learning theory and thinking about what we're playing and just play how we FEEL..... right.... anyways.....

you CAN create original sounding music, the main thing is that normally musicians are so influenced by all the music they've heard before that its harder than one would think. as for genres they've all been done (or so we think) but we've heard just about everything mixed with everything else. i've heard big band music mixed with techno mixed with opera mixed with hip/hop. eventually someone will come and make a new genre, it's just a matter of time. i say just play what you wanna play, if its metal then play metal, if its country play country. if yer like me and you like mixing all sorts of stuff together then do that.
Quote by crazie_guitar

Thats a harsh and unfair judgment. All of their songs are sincere and are written about real events such as his fathers passing, his newly born child and the his friends passing when he was young. So, how do they not "feel" the music? Matt clearly writes very emotional and sincere lyrics.

Quote by bananaboy
As someone said above me, if you're tying to sound completely original, you're going to fail. You can't. You just have to take your influences and stick them together however sounds good.

Take Sublime, my favorite band, and, IMO, one of the most original bands ever. Nothing they played was really anything new, they just combined reggae, punk, hip hop, rock, ska, into something that, while not being groundbreaking, sounded like nothing else, but more importantly, sounded like themselves.

If you're trying to come up with a new scale, a new chord progression, a new drum beat, you're going to have a hard time. But let's say you take a bluegrass bassline, a metal drum beat, a reggae guitar bit, and, I dunno, a kazoo, you're going to be playing something no one else has played before.

In a nutshell, it's not the components, but the final part that ends up being original. But liking what you write is a lot more important than it being original. There are literally thousands of songs using a I-IV-V progression, and I enjoy most of them.

Wow, great reply, I've never really thought of that. I'm totally going to do that in the future. Thanks.
If you put some effort in finding original music, maybe you'll find it. Its not even that hard, just go to prog archives, or metal archives, or ask in these forums. You'll find some new original stuff faster if you look for it, than say just watching Mtv.
Quote by diminishedtobme
If you put some effort in finding original music, maybe you'll find it. Its not even that hard, just go to prog archives, or metal archives, or ask in these forums. You'll find some new original stuff faster if you look for it, than say just watching Mtv.

I'm not asking about original bands that I want to listen to. I'm asking about what makes musicians non-generic, because I've noticed a lot of musicians being called "generic" over the last week.
Well let's see, I play in a band that mixes elements of ska with screamo with punk and our lead guitarist plays metal. Our singer sounds like Haley Williams.... I consider us original
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
To make original music, do something different. Something that no one else has thought of. If we could tell you what to do to make it original, it wouldn't be original anymore.
originality.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
you don't wanna be too original either...or you'll end up being one of those bands that are "gotten" 20 years later
not trying so hard to be original and instead focusing on your muse - what is inside you IS unique, and if you can get it out, people will respect that.
Originality comes from not just what you do or include in a piece of music, but HOW you incorporate it. HOW you play that common chord progression, HOW you phrase your solos, etc. Each and every one of us are original in our own rights, simply for the fact that we have a unique (even if similar) way of going about creating music/art/anything.
I suppose what I am trying to ask is what makes music generic? A lot of people say BFMV's new album is generic. What makes them any more generic than any other metal band?
There are billions of different possible melodies.
Making a melody that doesn't sound like other countless ones is difficult.

My band for example. Like Led Zeppelin, the drummer and I lock in more so than the bassist does, so we get this tight dynamic going on. But we don't play classic rock really, we play more indie with prog influences.
My favorite bands are Foals, Minus The Bear, Interpol, Oceansize, Radiohead and The Beatles. So finding a middle ground where elements of each influence can be used, and then manipulated to sound like your own.
For example, I love the lyrics of Radiohead, the eccentric rythyms of Foals mixed with Minus The Bear prog influence. Combining them all gives you possibilities for songs.

Just play what sounds good and different.
Last edited by FreedomFighter at Feb 10, 2008,
Who is BFMV?? I suppose people saying that may be referring to how they blatantly emulate other bands without putting any real effort into pushing it in a different direction. I don't know, I've never heard them; besides, what they are saying is simply an opinion and has no solid truth to it at all.
Last edited by Paquijón at Feb 10, 2008,
^ bullet for my valentine. personally i like some of their stuff, it was a bit of a shot in the arm to mainstream rock.
Bullet For My Valentine have that song "All These Things I Hate," and it's got the coolest guitar part at the end of the chorus that sounds so sick! I'd call it original because I've never heard anything like it before.

The people calling BFMV generic are probably the people who call all metal music generic. To an extent, a lot of it is, because it's basically something along the lines of "mute mute, staccato rhythm, mute mute mute" or something. Metallica were cool, for me, because not all of their songs had this staccato rhythm playing for the whole song. I bought Slayer's "Reign In Blood," however, after hearing that they were a part of the big four of Thrash Metal in the '80s (along with Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth, and I liked 2 of those bands at the time), and the whole album sounded like basically one song... It was kinda just "let's see how fast we can play each song." I saw an interview on YouTube where Tom Araya was proud that they squeezed a song that had I think 2 verses, a solo, a bridge, and a chorus or two into a minute and a half.

Anyway, to the point, I didn't like that album, but there are people out there who probably really love it. I have my opinion, and they have theirs, and that's all it is. I think it's a pretty generic album for metal, considering I've heard a lot of songs/bands just like them, but that's just what I think. That doesn't necessarily make me correct, either.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by crazie_guitar

i agree 100% alot of todays bands dont play with heart

and what ever happend to playin that hot sound type stuff with guitar solos?

most of the **** popular nowadays is that gay punk/emo ****
^
A song doesn't have to have a solo to be a good song... Have you even listened to any of those popular albums? For all you know, those albums do have guitar solos. So don't just talk **** about the stuff you hear on the radio. The Dire Straits' self titled album, the one with Sultans of Swing on it, sounds nothing like the hit song on there. So don't just jude the stuff you're hearing on the radio.

And, just because a song doesn't have this really sad sound to it doesn't mean that it doesn't have any heart in it. A lot of metal bands write lyrics about very deep topics, or write riffs that stand as a memory of the time that they wrote those riffs. If they were really angry about something, then it would have shown up in the riffs/lyrics. Music is a very powerful form of expressing whatever your feelings, whether you do it consciously or not, and we're not to judge who does and does not play with heart. Not to mention, you're not them, so you wouldn't have a clue about their reasons for doing it
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
being diverse all around as a musician will show in your sound.

Not only what you play, but what you listen to is a big part of it as well
its funny what can be considered original. You can take someone else's entire song, and just remake it, using different soloing and effects, maybe some way or instrument transposures or even just make an old song acoustic.

And you will probably be considered creative and original for doing it.
but if you want to be original just use uncommon chords. Its hard to know what their gonna sound like to improv, but IMO when im making a song, i HATE the sound of normal major and minor chords, Ive heard them used WAY too many times that the sound so plain and empty to have any really emotion to me.
Quote by Manjinken
but if you want to be original just use uncommon chords. Its hard to know what their gonna sound like to improv, but IMO when im making a song, i HATE the sound of normal major and minor chords, Ive heard them used WAY too many times that the sound so plain and empty to have any really emotion to me.

A chord on its own is limited and often carries little emotion regardless of what notes you change/add. What makes them special, and makes them sound rich and deep with lots of feeling is the way they're put into a progression. Saying major and minor chords have no emotion is a very negative way to look at it. It's like colours to an artist or flavours to a chef. To get the most out of them you need to learn how to contrast them effectively.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
i agree 100% alot of todays bands dont play with heart

and what ever happend to playin that hot sound type stuff with guitar solos?

most of the **** popular nowadays is that gay punk/emo ****

What gives you the right to say someone elses music doesn't have heart? If you actually listen to the lyrics behind the song Matt's are very emotional and real. "Say Goodnight" was written about his dads passing and the birth of his child, which was a very emotional time for him, how dare you say that it has no emotion.
Quote by Page&HammettFan
Bullet For My Valentine have that song "All These Things I Hate," and it's got the coolest guitar part at the end of the chorus that sounds so sick! I'd call it original because I've never heard anything like it before.

The people calling BFMV generic are probably the people who call all metal music generic. To an extent, a lot of it is, because it's basically something along the lines of "mute mute, staccato rhythm, mute mute mute" or something. Metallica were cool, for me, because not all of their songs had this staccato rhythm playing for the whole song. I bought Slayer's "Reign In Blood," however, after hearing that they were a part of the big four of Thrash Metal in the '80s (along with Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth, and I liked 2 of those bands at the time), and the whole album sounded like basically one song... It was kinda just "let's see how fast we can play each song." I saw an interview on YouTube where Tom Araya was proud that they squeezed a song that had I think 2 verses, a solo, a bridge, and a chorus or two into a minute and a half.

Anyway, to the point, I didn't like that album, but there are people out there who probably really love it. I have my opinion, and they have theirs, and that's all it is. I think it's a pretty generic album for metal, considering I've heard a lot of songs/bands just like them, but that's just what I think. That doesn't necessarily make me correct, either.

SLAYER!!! yeah, thrash metal. thrashing, playing fast. thats their thing yo.
Quote by david_safc
What gives you the right to say someone elses music doesn't have heart? If you actually listen to the lyrics behind the song Matt's are very emotional and real. "Say Goodnight" was written about his dads passing and the birth of his child, which was a very emotional time for him, how dare you say that it has no emotion.

hah its not emotional
ps drop d bar chord metal most unoriginal music of all time... but this is kind of dumb just play what ever u want and try to be as unlike BFMV as possibe ! hah that and be more like jimi or black sabbath cuz they pwn all other bands hands down
^ omfg..... don't listen to this, dear god please don't listen to this. draw inspiration from everything you enjoy.
Quote by z4twenny
^ omfg..... don't listen to this, dear god please don't listen to this. draw inspiration from everything you enjoy.

minus bfmv and draw extra influence from pple who can actually play like jimi and black sabbath... IM SURE THIS IS WHAT Z4twenny meant to say
^ we both know thats not what i meant to say. when i say draw inspiration from everything i mean EVERYTHING. if its BFMV, Alice Deejay, Kanye West, necrophagist , david allen coe, ella fitzgerald, eminem. whatever the hell you enjoy, use it.
awe z4twenny butt than there music is gonna suck do u want more drop d bar chord metal bands:O! or worse the return of the boy band *shudders* and thanks god Jesus (johnny rotton) slayed the beatles
^ dude if it sounds good i don't care what tuning they play in. and since taste is subjective and a matter of opinion your fail sir is quite epic.
hardly i am nate i do not fail... it is you who has failed for stifiling creativity whats next play how u feel!
Quote by david_safc
Hey, hope this is the right section. Lately I've been seeing a lot of comments about bands (the likes of BFMV) saying that their music is very generic and boring, and that they are copying Metallica. I was just thinking, what makes a song non generic? There aren't many metal bands that stand out as being very different compared to the rest, so are they generic too? How can musicians be "original" anymore?

bring something new. Style, voice, sound etc..
Page 1 of 2