Alright guys I need a good graphics card that has the ability to play-

Counter Strike Source
Age of Empires 3
Other games with similar graphics

Apparently my computer's card can't handle playing those games and it's getting irritating for me not able to play the games I buy.
So I come in asking the Pit..
..What would be a nice graphic card that could play those games?
My system specs are-

Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor- Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2140
Memory- 1024 MB
Hard drive- 320GB
Graphics- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Optical Drive- DVD/CD Burner with Lightscribe technology

I tried researching myself but all I found was like "ATI Radeon 9800" or "Nvidia GEForce" and it all seemed so foreign and weird to me.

A graphic card under $50 would be great but if it has to go over it just so I could play those games then so be it.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
do you know what type graphics card slot your computer has? thats the most important thing
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

Quote by pringa
do you know what type graphics card slot your computer has? thats the most important thing

*facepalms self*
Well, I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
I don't want to be arsed into doing it at 2:00 am.
I don't really know anything about graphics cards so right now I'm trying to learn what to buy, comparing cards, how to install them, etc.
Basically any input on anything graphic card related would be a big help to me.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Yeah, they're about £70. I have an 8800GT and it's pretty cool. I'd like to get another and go for SLI but I don't play many games so it aint worth it.

I'd also buy some more memory if I were you man - Vista munches memory as it is.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by NemesisX
Yeah, they're about £70. I have an 8800GT and it's pretty cool. I'd like to get another and go for SLI but I don't play many games so it aint worth it.

I'd also buy some more memory if I were you man - Vista munches memory as it is.

I think you just spoke the equivalent of latin to him.

TS, down load a program called CPU - Z, search it on google. It will tell you wether your graphics card slot is AGP or PCI-EXPRESS.

Then go on ebay and you can get a nvidia geforce 8600 for pretty cheap

btw your slot will be empty right now when you look, because you dont actually have a graphics card, which is part of the problem. You are currently using an ONBOARD chip, which is basically a chip soldered onto your motherboard.........is also really **** :P
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Last edited by x0rsist at Feb 10, 2008,
Very true. Apologies.

I'd actually expected your response to be some kind of "Get a Mac"/"Get rid of Vista" bull****. Well done, lol.

Yes, and also TS, pray that you have PCI Express, because AGP's are going out the window at the moment.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by NemesisX
Very true. Apologies.

I'd actually expected your response to be some kind of "Get a Mac"/"Get rid of Vista" bull****. Well done, lol.

Yes, and also TS, pray that you have PCI Express, because AGP's are going out the window at the moment.

Macs suck, vista will be the shiz when they iron out all of the bugs and some hacker finds a way of back compatability with older games.

TS PCI EXPRESS is like a space shuttle in terms of speed, and APG is like a high speed train. They are just the 2 different types of grahpics car available, you dont need to know any more than that.

With Nvidia graphics cards, basically the higher the number Geforece 8600 or 8800 etc means better.

It then will say something like 256 mb ram or 512 mb ram, same applies more is better.

Forget about SLI(what NEMESIS X mentioned), thats basically just 2 graphics cards workin simultaneously, but i doubt your motherboard would support it atall.
Gear:
id rather say why the **** did you get a brand machine, theyre just plain ****ing ripoffs. i swear that you could get 10 times the bang for the same buck.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Lagrance
id rather say why the **** did you get a brand machine, theyre just plain ****ing ripoffs. i swear that you could get 10 times the bang for the same buck.

Not everyone realises that/ even knows about computers enough to build one themselves
Gear:
If you have an AGP, you're pretty much screwed...

if you have a PCI-e, then get an nVidia 8800.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
That's a pretty new looking comp, I'd be shocked ifit didn't have PCI, but then probably not all that surprised since the manufacturers would prefer you buy an entire new system than buy a few new components.

EDIT: people keep suggesting an 8800, if anyone knows where you can get them for the TS budget (<$50) please let me know so I can buy 10 and sell them for enormous profit to noobs buying them at >$200

didn't think so.
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by Kid Fisto
If you have an AGP, you're pretty much screwed...

if you have a PCI-e, then get an nVidia 8800.

wouldn't be totally screwed. theres a couple of decent cards available that would suit.
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

You should be able to settle with something in the GeForce 7 series, the 8 series is more for really high-end games like crysis and call of duty. Hell, I'm running CS:S on highest with my 6150 right now, but with a low resolution.