hey! I'm getting a VJ copy next week, and i was wondering if i should buy replacement tubes with it right away, cause there's probably really cheap ones in there stock.... my question is that would i need to bias the tube and stuff?
No biasing needed. And see if you like it first.... Take into account if it's a combo, the speaker will take about 4 months to break in, and tubes will be Sovteks.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Mabe not, it will make little difference but, im pretty sure you'll be happy with it off the bat
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by MrCarrot
No biasing needed. And see if you like it first.... Take into account if it's a combo, the speaker will take about 4 months to break in, and tubes will be Sovteks.

4 months! You can get it 90% there in a couple of hours.
Quote by mr_hankey
4 months! You can get it 90% there in a couple of hours.
It took mine 4 months of regular 1hr+ per day playing.

Cokeisbetter noticed the same with the VJ combo too.

The speaker they put in it is REALLY stiff.
TS, I think you should wait 'till you get it. See what kind of tubes are in it when it arrives; they're probably not worth replacing right away unless they're broken. If they're JJ's, GT's, TUng Sol's, EXH, or even Sovtek, they'll do well enough.
I'd suggest you change the tubes. There's only two of them, so it's cheap enough. I swapped out the tubes in my VJ head with great results. Besides, it's wise to have spare tubes lying around. So why not upgrade your tone and at the same time put the stock tubes away as your spares? Win-win.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
TS, I think you should wait 'till you get it. See what kind of tubes are in it when it arrives; they're probably not worth replacing right away unless they're broken. If they're JJ's, GT's, TUng Sol's, EXH, or even Sovtek, they'll do well enough.
Actually, it's worth noting (I just remembered) that the V3 VJ - and the variants might have this mod too - have the Black PCBs, properly matched output transformer, and come with an EHX 12AX7 and a JJ EL84!
Quote by MrCarrot
Actually, it's worth noting (I just remembered) that the V3 VJ - and the variants might have this mod too - have the Black PCBs, properly matched output transformer, and come with an EHX 12AX7 and a JJ EL84!

Oooh, tastey. I ended up with a V2b, I think, with an EXH 12AX7 and a Sovtek EL84. Feh.

Edit: I just realized...I think the TS is getting a VJ clone. So there's a good chance that it'll come with unbranded pieces of Chinese tosh. If so, I'd take Slats' advice.
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Feb 10, 2008,
I had a V2 combo, with a Sovtek 12AX7WA (cheapest you can get) and a Sovtek EL84, and the mismatched Output Transformer.

And then I tried modding it and it's half-dead now. I'll fix it this half-term actually.
Quote by MrCarrot

any idea what serial numbers are for that version? i'm guessing mine's an older version, but you never know.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just got a Grainger Valve 5 (same as VJ) and noticed the power amp tube was Electro-Harmonix, but the pre-amp tube was unbranded - it just has 12ax7 Made in China on it.

Guess it's a good idea to get a decent pre-amp tube first...
i wouldnt change the tubes until its time to change the tubes. thats wasting my money man. You probably wont even notice a difference.
I was planning to get a spare set and I figured it would be a good idea to buy better ones and use them, keeping the standard ones as backup....

Guess they last a while anyway...My amp has been modded with a standby switch so that should increase their life right?.
yep.... they'll last you a few years probably. some people who play shows every weekend and practice a lot on their tube amp might need to change every year but most will last every few years. A lot of people here replace them for the hell of it lol.