Hi everybody, after playing guitar for 8 yrs i finally got into more effects like chorus, phase etc..., ive been running my effects straight from guitar to effects to amp input. i notice on my amp there is an effects loop input jack on the front of the amp. i searched google to learn hot to use an effects loop and every amp they explained this process on had a return and send input and output jacks. my amp only has that one jack that says effects loop. the amp is a crate vintage club-50 tube head. any help would be much appreciated.
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
I'd plug the effects send into the phase then the chours, in one chain then plug that into the effects return.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
the problem is there is no send or return jacks, there is just one jack on the head that says effects loop, so i could plug my pedals output to the effects loop jack but then where do i plug my effects input into on the amp
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
You need a stereo cable with one split end for that.. plug the end with one plug in the amp and connect your FX to the split end
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Remember that if you place anything it the effects loop, you're placing it between the preamp and power amp, rather than in front of the preamp, as opposed to placing it between the guitar and amp, as you would otherwise.

You see, some effects are supposed to come before the preamp, such as compression (important - so you can drive the preamp further), and many place overdrive, or clean boosts before the preamp as well.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Welsh Guitar: Relax man, I guess the TS got that point all right It's just that with his amp there's no seperate preamp out and power amp in.. they're combined in one jack on the back of the amp, thus he needs a Y-cable

edit: also, I wouldn't be using a compressor to drive my preamp harder, that's where clean boosters are for. It is possible though, but I'd use a compressor as, well, a compressor

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Feb 10, 2008,
ok cool so i just need a y cable. thx for the help guys. the only effects im running thru the loop are the delay,phase, and chorus. the tuner and noise suppressor im putting straight to amp from guitar
It might be a good idea to try your noise suppressor as the last pedal in your fx loop too that way it also supresses the noise from your loops' pedals and the noise from your pre amp It's not a must or anything, but you should at least try it

oh and you're welcome

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
now in the near future i will be getting a boss mt-2 metal dist pedal, i know this does not go in the loop, but would it be better to keep the supressor in the loop or then take it out of the loop and put it in front of the mt-2 out of the loop?
hmmm it depends on how much noise your other stuff is generating.
As a general rule I'd put a noise suppressor last in line but feel free to experiment with it It's not like you can blow something up or anything

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣