I've wanted a cello for a while now, but they seem to be very expensive. So I decided I'm going to buy a violin as they seem to be much cheaper (and I like them too ofcourse).

Does anyone know the price ranges of these instruments? Good models and makes or a good place to get one from in the UK or Europe.

I'd like to know how much I have to spend to get out of the idiot beginners range... i.e. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a £50 guitar because they 9/10 times they are terrible. I want to know how much I have to spend to get something that I won't want to replce in 2 weeks.

Thanks!
A little off topic but.... if you do end up getting a Violin... Please learn Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve. <3 Sorry if this is classed as spam ;[
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Well, the one thing I do know about violins and cellos it that they have 4 strings, and you can either pluck them, or use a bow on them.

Good Violins are around $250 to $300, beginners are near $50. And like all instruments, the extremely expensive ones that have been hand made by an American dude are ~ $500.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Well, I played my grade 4 exam (one point off honours ) on a chinese made violin which cost about 100 pounds. If you're a beginner you won't notice the difference, trust me.

Well, the one thing I do know about violins and cellos it that they have 4 strings, and you can either pluck them, or use a bow on them.

uhhh, not really correct.

Violins and cellos have four strings yes, but that's not why you can bow them. You can bow them because the way their bridge is designed(arched not flat like a guitar) the bow can pass on one string at a time. If you tried to play guitar with a bow, you could only play chords, because since the bridge is flat, all the strings are at the same level.
Last edited by confusius at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by confusius
Well, I played my grade 4 exam (one point off honours ) on a chinese made violin which cost about 100 pounds. If you're a beginner you won't notice the difference, trust me.

uhhh, not really correct.

Violins and cellos have four strings yes, but that's not why you can bow them. You can bow them because the way their bridge is designed(arched not flat like a guitar) the bow can pass on one string at a time. If you tried to play guitar with a bow, you could only play chords, because since the bridge is flat, all the strings are at the same level.

you can play the e strings independantly if you've got a high bridge type e.g les paul, tele.. as well as chords
Get a silent cello.

My mate has one, he feeds it though his guitar amp and gets some fucking incredible sounds from it.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
the one thing i do know about them is that there string instruments

hope that helps!

seriously though i know **** all about them