My Crate VC5115 died on me last night. Was playing it and it made a loud pop and then a sizzling sound that faded away. Here is what led up to it, what I've done, and what I am willing to do. There is a low humming sound that doesn't change volume at all.

The input jack had been acting up a little weeks ago but tightening the nut seemed to alleviate that. Just before it went "pop and sizzle" it started cutting out again and I wiggled the jack and it came back but then 2 minutes later while playing at a fairly low volume, it went bye bye.

I opened her up and found what I think is a ton of busted joints on the power tube sockets and a few on the pre sockets. I carefully melted the solder on the joints because I don't have a de-solderer. The joints on the input jack (pcb mounted) seem solid. I cleaned all the pots and jacks with Peavey Funk Out. Replaced all of the tubes with new ones and still the same. Silence.. Doesnt work. I tested the speaker and that works fine. All the filaments in the tubes all light up fine.

I would appreciate any help please as I have no money for a tech right now and need this amp to work. My expertise is next to nil. I have a meter but if I need to use it I would have to have someone tell me exactly what/where to test and what setting to have it on. I can post pics if you need me to and I can offer to maybe trade you something for the help but I have no money.

Thanks in advance.
it might be something really simple like the fuse in the plug, try changing it? might get lucky :p
Yeah, check your fuse. Give us an update with some pics.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
And just because the tubes are glowing doesn't mean they're working.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
That cap is bad news. Replace it. Even if it didn't cause this problem, it will mess up something sooner or later.

I don't know what you checked, but traces on the tube sockets usually happen on the other side (bottom).
Last edited by mr_hankey at Feb 10, 2008,
Yeah I checked the joints on the other side of the board. I just didn't post any pics of that cos my camera doesn't really show where the busted joints were. I am going to replace that cap as soon as I can but I don't think it's what is causing the issue.