Page 1 of 2
why is it that every teacher, instructor, whatever, emphasizes and makes it clear that Puppetz HAS to be downpicked?? (not that i can't do it, its just...why?)

anyone know?
Check out my music, if you please.
because thats how it was originally played?

and its how you get that even sound for metalz rythm guitar
because its br00talz
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

I want to see someone do it with all upstrokes

of course, theres the slap bass version done by les claypool
About 3 or 4 years ago I downpicked Master of Puppets to my guitar teacher and he told me I should use alternate picking...
That's how Hetfield plays it, it sounds better for that song, you get the chugging sound which is required when you downpick, shut up, playing properly.

Why do you need a teacher for the MoP intro? N00b.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
About 3 or 4 years ago I downpicked Master of Puppets to my guitar teacher and he told me I should use alternate picking...

wut a deutsche
Quote by freddaahh
Why do you need a teacher for the MoP intro? N00b.

i dont....first day i went in he told me to play somethin for him and i played it alternate, so he told me go home and play downpicking
Quote by GuitaristXakk
wut a deutsche

u hav n0 idea lololololololol
it sounds better and its a nice way to improve your picking if you want to play metal
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
It sounds much heavier. For a while I played it w/ alternate picks before I could get up to speed.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
In the words of my guitar teacher:
"who the **** cares, you're not James Hetfield."
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
Quote by GuitaristXakk
i dont....first day i went in he told me to play somethin for him and i played it alternate, so he told me go home and play downpicking

Same happened here. and ts, try playing it with alt picking, and then with all down picking. Which sounds better?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Just play alternate. I can't play with all downstrokes and i can play it ( litteraly ) 2x faster with alternate. you should learn to ( almost ) always play alternate. It's easier, faster and in most cases, will sound better if you do it right.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
^The down pick thing makes it a decent excersise though. If you can downpick MoP, you can downpick pretty freakin' well. Alternate picking is a valuable skill though (I alternate pick everything, easier for me as a bassist).
It's good practice..and when you're singing,you would be able to sing better in a much constant pattern..therefore the repeated downstroke. Both ways are as good as the other.

I prefer the downpicking style..cause it's just br00talz.
Apparently upstrokes and downstrokes have different sounds. A downstroke gives you a bit more "chug" than an upstroke.
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
Just play alternate. I can't play with all downstrokes and i can play it ( litteraly ) 2x faster with alternate. you should learn to ( almost ) always play alternate. It's easier, faster and in most cases, will sound better if you do it right.

Well, in MOST cases it does sound better. Ever tried playing puppets with alternate picking? Sounds really awful.
Quote by Led_Zeppelin992
Apparently upstrokes and downstrokes have different sounds. A downstroke gives you a bit more "chug" than an upstroke.

Just quoting this so this thread sees two decent and right posts.

Edit - ^ damn you. Now it's 3.
Who the hell says "Puppetz"?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Magero
^The down pick thing makes it a decent excersise though. If you can downpick MoP, you can downpick pretty freakin' well. Alternate picking is a valuable skill though (I alternate pick everything, easier for me as a bassist).

Pfft.
Real bassists use their fingers.

I hear no difference from me doing it all down and alternate... your up and down strokes shouldn't sound different, unless you're playing chords.
lol down picking it for me was easy. when i was self-taught i played everything with a down stroke so master of puppets just came out easily.
anyone saying to alternate pick Hetfield's parts are ill-informed and are not correct. There are two distinct sounds from down-picking and alternate picking. IF you want to imitate the correct sound for Master of Puppets, down pick. It may take some time and I know how most people on this site don't like to hurt their little fingers and forearms nor have the patience to excel at a pretty basic technique, but the correct way to reproduce that sound is down picking
--
--
I'm Always Thinking...

--
--
yeah downpicking gives you the chugga chugga sound
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by Hexagram
anyone saying to alternate pick Hetfield's parts are ill-informed and are not correct. There are two distinct sounds from down-picking and alternate picking. IF you want to imitate the correct sound for Master of Puppets, down pick. It may take some time and I know how most people on this site don't like to hurt their little fingers and forearms nor have the patience to excel at a pretty basic technique, but the correct way to reproduce that sound is down picking

I'm pretty sure when you do all downpicking, you're just a bit more aggressive then you are with alternate. Doing alternate a bit or aggressively seems to sound the same.
Downstrokes sound more aggressive because the movement is consistent and you pick harder.

With alternate picking you get differences between the up and down stroked and you aren't picking as consistently.
I prefer playing it alternate. But I use middle+index+thumb, and like the sound of that.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
I didn't know this, but i guess it makes it sound more even.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

It's easier to play but more difficult to get the same palm muted sound picking upwards than picking downwards.
For some reason (probably strength), downpicking makes a heavier sound when palm muted.
Listen to the difference in the palm muting of Judas Priest, and then check the palm muting of Sonata Arctica.

Sonata's one is faster, but less heavy.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by GuitaristXakk

Your guitar teacher is a legend.
Funny words.
thats how its originally played...

and i find it easier like that.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Page 1 of 2