Do you guys slightly change parts of a song you're learning to make it easier? For example, the tab I found for 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' by The Scorpions uses 3 string power cords but I changed it to 2 string power chords because I can switch those faster.
Also, when I learned the 'Stairway To Heaven' intro I used a pick and only strummed single notes. I think the 5th note of it should be played on 2 strings, right? There's other times when I'll change a fast triplet and skip the middle note if my fingers can't quite do it yet.

Anybody else have any examples?
I'm a perfectionist. If theres a difference, I'll notice it, it'll bother me, and I'll think it sounds like crap. Its why I can't use tabs, because generally they're not perfect.
Real eyes realise real lies.
dude thats not cheating, thats just playing it your own way...just because a tab says something, all that means is thats the way the author wrote it, not the way you HAVE to play it...a tab is more or less a guideline...nothing more
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I don't have any idea that comes to mind right now... I guess I don't do that much. Except for the arpeggio part in "The glass prison" by Dream Theater. I do it all on E, B and G strings, and he does some of the parts on B, G, and D strings. It sounds exactly the same, but I play it in an easier way for me.

For the intro of Stairway To Heaven, he plays it with his fingers instead of his pick. I think its easier with fingers, than pick the strings, and to the 5th note, pick the D string and the E string with a finger ... too much trouble.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Sometimes when something is in tremolo picking, I'll just pick the notes regularly, but only because I think it sounds better.
two and a half men.
Quote by Zeh
I'm a perfectionist. If theres a difference, I'll notice it, it'll bother me, and I'll think it sounds like crap. Its why I can't use tabs, because generally they're not perfect.

I agree that tabs are pretty often not perfect, but if you listen the song, and compare it to the tab, you can usually pretty easily fix it. That's what I do with most songs.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
If you "cheat" then the only person you're cheating is you. The whole point of learning new stuff is to broaden your knowledge, if all you do is adapt things so you can keep using the same simple techniques then you'll get nowhere. By all means play something differently if you want to put a different spin on things, but learn to play it correctly first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If it sounds good,who cares?
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Someone trying to improve their technique?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I've "cheated" on a few songs, but mostly to make it sound better. Like on the first solo on Wish You Were Here, I changed a few parts because it sounded better. Don't know if that's necessarily cheating though.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
i do it all the time with tabs. mostly its just changing fingerings or positions where it would be much less movement to just go to the next string.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
In the MoP solo, I use whammy harmonics instead of trying to figure out what Kirk did in the recording.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1