A while back, I bought a yamaha rgx520fz. Its a sexy all mahogany set neck with deep, rich tone and pups that sound like Rosanne singing Eiddie Murphy's "Party all The Time". My guitar tech advised me that if I put active pickups in it, they would overpower the sweetness to the tone wood. I am pretty dumb. I will believe anything. It would be nice go get a few more opinions from y'all to aid in my pup choice. EMGs or SD JBs.
The passive pickups usually have their own identity to them, and work with the wood to achieve and individual sound. Active pickups pretty much make every guitar sound the same, which is good for cheap guitars and CAN be bad for nicer ones. It's all preference really. Both are great, but I would go with the SD JBs.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
I have HEARD (so don't quote me on this) that Seymour Duncan's Blackouts (active) depend on wood a little more than EMGs. As a result, a mahogany-bodied guitar will sound different from a basswood-bodied guitar, even if you swap out the same set of Blackouts.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
yes active pickups don't really utilize the tone of the wood
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
having EMG's in a guitar will make it sound like a guitar with EMG's in it.. I have two Les Paul guitars with EMG's in them and one with burstbuckers and to be honest the passive burstbuckers have a richer tone to them. I really don't think I'll own another guitar with active's in it. Well let me also say that I won't be getting rid of my current setup, but if I could only have one or the other I'd choose the Duncans or some other passive PUPs
dude actives dont just take away the tone of the wood...they take away all tone there ever was...if you put emgs in a guitar, or you put them in a trashcan, both will sound identical tonewise...only buy active pickups if your guitar is a piece of crap with no tone...if you care anything about teh sound of your guitar, go with passive duncans
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I like active pickups a lot, but they definitely have roughly the same sound in every guitar. So using them in a guitar with cheaper wood quality is a better idea.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Zack Wylde, Kerry King, James Hetfield (who utilises a mahogany body) to name but three people who use EMG's and they sound different.

Discuss...
Quote by bi-ah!
dude actives dont just take away the tone of the wood...they take away all tone there ever was...if you put emgs in a guitar, or you put them in a trashcan, both will sound identical tonewise...only buy active pickups if your guitar is a piece of crap with no tone...if you care anything about teh sound of your guitar, go with passive duncans

You obviously have never played with active pickups. You're just on the bandwagon.

I prefer the tone of active pickups. They have a lot more guts, the 81's have a dry tone, the 60's have a really punchy tone, the 89's have a really round tone. They have their own character to them. The only thing I've noticed switching from guitar to guitar with EMG's is that they all have the same area of headroom. They all go to the same general volume in which passive pickups, even ones from the same company same pickup can differ.

The disadvantage of EMG's in my view is that they don't sell any normal sized 7 string pickups, they're all EMG sized.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by TheForge
Zack Wylde, Kerry King, James Hetfield (who utilises a mahogany body) to name but three people who use EMG's and they sound different.

Discuss...

Zakk Wylde - Marshall
Kerry King - Marshall DSL
James Hetfield - Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Marshall, Roland, Wizard...the list goes on.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Zakk Wylde - Marshall
Kerry King - Marshall DSL
James Hetfield - Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Marshall, Roland, Wizard...the list goes on.

I was just going on bi-ah! said in his post, so to clarify if I put an EMG 81 and an EMG 60 on a "trashcan" and played it through "Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Marshall, Roland, Wizard...the list goes on." I would sound like James Hetfield??
EMG's have a tone shaping op amp that will make you hear more of the pickup and less of the tonewood. Thats not a bad thing for some people and it is for others.

If you like your current tone so much why are you replacing the pickups at all?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by TheForge
I was just going on bi-ah! said in his post, so to clarify if I put an EMG 81 and an EMG 60 on a "trashcan" and played it through "Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Marshall, Roland, Wizard...the list goes on." I would sound like James Hetfield??

Well, the amp is most of the tone, probably 70%. The speakers and cab you use are probably a good 15%. The cables, body wood, hardware, body design, paint, pickups, picks and string gauge cover the last bit.

You could put any pickups on a trashcan, play through a diezel and sound badass...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
First off you need to answer these two questions - what amp do you have and WHY do you feel you need to change pickups?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheForge

probably and you would look like a bad-ass too
Although the tone is sweet on my guitar, it is still a little bit thin and a lot noisy compared to my other guitars. Also, nickel covered JBs look sweet. Lets just say I have money to burn. Thanks for all the tips, guys. I also got some good ideas for my next project. I call it `...Hetfield in a can.
If you think your tone is thin you probably don't want a JB....they aren't really known for their gutsy tones, besides which they aren't active anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I am looking for a zacky vengance like tone. Zacky uses SD JBs run through dual rectifier. While they arent quite as chunky as other passive pups, they are versatile enough to play genres of music that dont benefit from rediculous output. And they are shiny. when I started this thread, I initially was humoring the idea of active pickups because raw power is nice, but so is my guitar. I want to take advantage of its potential tonal properties. I have also been eyeballing the shecter hellraiser series. They all have active pickups and look sexy. When I get that "I need a new guitar right now or I'll die" feeling again, I will give those a try.
Ugh...nasty tone! Besides, his tone is far more down to the amp than the pickups. The JB isn't all that versatile IMO, i'd class it as having a ridiculous output level and it's too trebly and thin for most styles. And nobody in their right mind puts a JB in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc