I want to set up a home recording studio i have been looking into this for days and found what im going to buy. My recordings will be just my electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and vocals.

Mixer:
Behringer Xenyx 1202FX
Found it on Craigs List for $65, its a definite steal.

Audio Interface:
Rolls CGi 404
This one, Final.

Monitor:
MAudio StudioPro 3 Professional Desktop Audio Monitors
Just need something not to expensive to start out, i think these would be perfect

Mic:
OnStage Stands MS7510 Mic Pro Pak
Seems cheap but still good for me.

Now since i have all of this how would i hook it up to my computer exactly?
My guitar to my amp, my amp to my mixer to my audio interface to my computer right?
Do i need any extra special cords or ect?
Last edited by Rokkstar64 at Feb 11, 2008,
if your software has built in amps and mixers then buy a DI box and get rid of the amp, just straight from your guitar to the the DI to the interface, believe me it sounds better and saves alot of time. but if you have dont that then mic up the amp then to the interface.

Btw what kinda computer are you running.
Quote by NightEmbers
if your software has built in amps and mixers then buy a DI box and get rid of the amp, just straight from your guitar to the the DI to the interface, believe me it sounds better and saves alot of time. but if you have dont that then mic up the amp then to the interface.

Btw what kinda computer are you running.

Im acutally getting a new computer so i have to reinstall all of my programs like FL studio, mixcraft, adobe audition,

The new computer is hand built and just perfect and running XP i dont trust vista.
Quote by NightEmbers
good job just get what you need and scrap the rest and with any new thing like vista you'll run into a whole bunch of snags

I dont really know much about softwares cause Im a mac guy but good luck dude

Now you were talking about a Di box, what does it do and how would it fit into my set-up?
Why do you need that mixer?

The M-Audio 410 would be well worth the price you're paying, but I can't really suggest any alternative if I don't know your requirements.

I'd reconsider that mic as well.
The interface has on board preamps and inputs, you dont need the mixer at all...save your money.

Interface, the Mackie Onyx Satellite works with XP but not vista and it's lower in price, great unit...I highly suggest it over the one you're looking to get.

Your monitors are fair but don't expect bas out of them...look into the KRK RP6 or RP8, you can normaly get a pair on ebay for a good deal.

That mic is not great at all...I had one for a while and its currently on ebay, the stand is amazingly good though. The mic, being cheap will break and distort at lower volume and it just didnt sound all that great to my ear...

Go with a Shure SM57 or SM58 mic. The 57 is great for all around use but if you want to record an acoustic guitar I suggest the MXL 990 and 991 condenser set.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 10, 2008,
no need for the interface and the mixer
one or the other
get the mixer and a good sound card
or the interface
i like air moving in recording so i would say get a good mic and no DI box
but that is just me
Quote by guitaristd
no need for the interface and the mixer
one or the other
get the mixer and a good sound card
or the interface
i like air moving in recording so i would say get a good mic and no DI box
but that is just me

Well how do i hook up my mixer with out the interface?
Quote by moody07747
nice catch

you can't

O so if i get the cheap m-audio buddy thats good right?
Quote by Rokkstar64
I want to set up a home recording studio i have been looking into this for days and found what im going to buy. My recordings will be just my electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and vocals.

Now since i have all of this how would i hook it up to my computer exactly?
My guitar to my amp, my amp to my mixer to my audio interface to my computer right?
Do i need any extra special cords or ect?

How many tracks at once? And how many plugins will you be using?

If it's not more than two (singing and playing the guitar at one time), I'd go for a Soundcraft Compact 4 (it has a built in DI box), M-Audio Delta 44, two XLRM-XLRF cables, two XLRF-TRS cables, one SM57 (used) or Samson CO1/CO3. The KRK monitors are a good thing too. Don't forget good headphones (AKG's or Sennheiser HD280's). I'll assume you have appropriate cables for the guitar, and don't forget stands.

The Soundcraft has brilliant sound quality, and it'll even provide zero-latency monitoring (you'll hear what you're playing when you play it). The M Audio will handle most of what you throw at it. The Mackie Onyx is also a great alternative, especially if you don't want to get a soundcard.

Alternatively, if you don't plan on upgrading and will do one track at a time, a Samson CO3U should handle all recording you throw at it...just get the monitors and soundcard and control levels through software.
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Feb 11, 2008,
the audio buddy is a mic preamp, its no interface so it would not get you any better sound.
the interface you listed and I listed both would work alone to power any mic.

you could run the audio buddy or mixer into your stock sound card in your pc now but it wont give anything near good results...
Quote by moody07747
the audio buddy is a mic preamp, its no interface so it would not get you any better sound.
the interface you listed and I listed both would work alone to power any mic.

you could run the audio buddy or mixer into your stock sound card in your pc now but it wont give anything near good results...

Ok so how about i get a
Rolls CGI 404 Audio Interface and Mic Pre Amp
How about this instead of the audio buddy?
Mackie Onyx Satellite
Rolls CGI 404
PreSonus FIREBOX
M-Audio FireWire 410

each of these are firewire interfaces. Paired with any type of mic, they are enough to get you started recording with good quality.
If you get a preamp like the Audio Buddy you would still need an interface but since most interface like the ones I listed above already have preamps on board, you would not need the Audio Buddy...

interface
mic
cords
computer
software

Those 5 things are all you need to get started....well that and some mixing/mastering skill
I was looking through mixers and stumbled upon the perfect mixer.
Behringer Xenyx 1202
I saw this and said thats what i want and for that price. I have been looking to get a 60's/70's sound and all the reviews said yes but i have hit another dilemma. I found one thats an upgraded version with more effects.
Behringer Xenyx 1202FX
And i found it on craigs list for $65, brand new still in the box should i for it or just get the Xenyx 1202
Why are you still trying to get a mixer? Moody7407 has already explained to you that in your case a mixer probably won't due you a lick of good, and thus you should focus on getting a quality interface. Also - as listed above read this http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Why are you still trying to get a mixer? Moody7407 has already explained to you that in your case a mixer probably won't due you a lick of good, and thus you should focus on getting a quality interface. Also - as listed above read this http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

I want it for my turntable. Also i want the mixer for future use, I just don't want to spend a lot on something then later realize i still need the mixer.
Quote by guitaristd
my mixer has phono outs
which i run into my audiophile 2496 soundcard
aka no interface

ah but the 2496 PCI card IS an interface...just without preamps or XLR inputs...
even a stock sound card is considered an audio interface.

Behringer mixers are not all that great and I would never get one again after trying one myself...
Try tapco.

You can run a turntable directly into your interface with some adapter cables...
turntables only require a preamp which the interface has on board but if you MUST get a mixer, read this page first to figure out the proper mixer to get:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_hookup_a_mixer.htm

a proper mixer being something with a 3-4 bus
I run the Yamaha MG 10/2 here and now that I have a better sound card coming in, I wish I had gone with a larger setup like the MG12/4 or similar as the 10/2 only has a single mono bus.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 11, 2008,
i think you should consider spending more on a mic, because condenser mics are a little more expensive but much more worth it. i first bought a really cheap mic couldn't record worth **** so ended up recording DI, but recently i spent 100$ on a set of mics and am really happy with my quality
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Ardie12
i think you should consider spending more on a mic, because condenser mics are a little more expensive but much more worth it. i first bought a really cheap mic couldn't record worth **** so ended up recording DI, but recently i spent 100$ on a set of mics and am really happy with my quality

I just kinda want the mic to hold me over for a few months while i work over the summer to get a better kind. Im not hitting high notes or whatever, but after awhile i do see myself upgrading to a better mic.
what do di boxes do? like i know it's for direct in recording, but does it make your tone better or something? like why would i want to use one as opposed to just plugging straight to the line in?