i have a squier affinity stratocaster and i would like to know if putting in emgs/cheaper solution would improve my tone, or to get a new guitar. id much rather change my pickups, because ive herd of squier custom jobs have worked well, but i am exetremely comfortable with my squier.
thanks.
if you like the guitar and feel really comfortable with it, buy a good amp and then switch pickups, ive never played a squier tho :S but i love my strat
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
new guitar, definately
the effects of a decent guitar with alright pickups are probably better than a mediocre guitar with awesome pickups.
and also if you do upgrade you will probably find the new guitar nicer to play if you choose the right one and look back and wonder how you ever managed.

happened with me anyway
^Yea, get an Epi Les Paul standard. sounds good, lotsa sustain, looks nice too. If the flame top version is too much, there's a plain top version for ~$100 less.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 10, 2008,
new amp + possibly pickups if you're still not happy
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
i have the same guitar. however I also have a Fender MIM Strat, and it beats the squier by far.

if i were you, i'd get a new guitar, then modify the squier.
I know what you mean, my Squiere Stagemaster's neck feels better than any guitar I've ever played, and is really comfortable with the picking hand also. The pickups would help some, but a new guitar would help more. A standard strat is pretty cheap if you can't afford an AM strat.
yea a low end squire like that with pickups that probably cost more than the guitar is just stupid. if you have money for emgs just save like 120 more and you can get something nice
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
Yeah, a new guitar would be way better.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Id say new guitar. Since a Hammet/Gilmour pre-loaded pg wouldnt fit, it would cost more to put in 3 EMG singles, along with new electronics than it would to buy a new guitar i think, especially if u dont do it yourself. Since it seems like u want a heavier tone, i suggest an Ibanez RG321 or an Epi SG.