If i was to switch out the 4 ei preamp tubes in my marshall for tungsol tubes, how much would this affect my gain? Would it be a difference in 2 numbers or 4 or what? It would give more gain right? But how much?
Last edited by I7arkside(Moon) at Feb 12, 2008,
You're not gonna get MUCH more gain. Maybe a bit more. Tubes really tweak tone rather than drastically change your amps character.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
You're not gonna get MUCH more gain. Maybe a bit more. Tubes really tweak tone rather than drastically change your amps character.

Okay that's what i thought, its just ive heard people saying the got so much more gain by replacing their pre-amp tubes with these. Any suggestions on how to get more gain then?
Quote by ECistheBest
about 10%.

Can anyone else confirm this, because that would be perfect. Thanks in advance.
How old are your power tubes? Old ones lose gain, so if yours are two years old you can change the power tubes and get a good amount more gain.
Tung-sol tubes are a tiny bit hotter than EIs, so you might get a little more gain there. A 10% increase would be the maximum I'd expect.
Quote by Roc8995
How old are your power tubes? Old ones lose gain, so if yours are two years old you can change the power tubes and get a good amount more gain.
Tung-sol tubes are a tiny bit hotter than EIs, so you might get a little more gain there. A 10% increase would be the maximum I'd expect.

The power tubes are new but are ruby tubes. If i were to change the ei preamp tubes to tung sol would that also give more clarity.
Quote by gnr_axeman74
did you even read the tube sticky?

Yes i did like 5 times, did you even read my question? I know Tung sols would probably be the best way to go in terms of tubes. But that sticky didn't give me an estimate on how much of a difference it would make. Trust me i try and do my research before posting anything.

I need more gain, and im torn between get a set of tung sol tubes which i know for sure would help my tone a lot and give me a little more gain; or getting a high gain distortion pedal to run on the clean channel (which isn't as bad as many say it is considering several artists with great tone do this) but this might take away from my tone.
I have Tugsols in my JVM. A TAD bit more gain. Its more about the tone structure than gain though.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by ECistheBest
get these if u want gain:
http://tubedepot.com/jj-ecc803s.html

They aren't the high gain ones!

Read what Mr Eurotubes writes of them here: https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=2

And he's a JJ rep...

The high gain JJs are the matched regular 12AX7s.

But yeah, there won't be a dramatic gain increase with the Tung-Sols, but if you replace every single preamp tube with a Tung-Sol, you'll probably notice it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.