hey UG,

i've noticed that my rosewood fingerboard is starting to have little cracks in it.it's like a lot of small streaks of gap in the wood.it's not very deep but there's a lot of it on the surface and it's starting to get me worried because i think it's getting worse.what do i need to do to fix it?does it mean that the wood is drying out?i'll get pics if i can find my camera but for now,i described it as best as i can(english is not my first langauge)

suggestions would be appreciated
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
get some lemon oil. if you go to most guitar shops, and ask for fretboard conditioner or lemon oil, they should give you some stuff. you're right that your fretboard is drying out, and although its not too bad.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
sounds like the wood is drying out.
im lucky enough to be able to keep my guitars in a basement where temp is always about the same and i have a dehumidifier keeping the air humidity in check (i believe it should be about 60-70% to be idle for guitars, dont quote me on that) but....

the thing that keeps the finger board moisturized and clean is every once in a while wiping it down with lemon oil (sometimes i use pledge with lemon oil in it and i dont see any negative effects) the lemon oil moisturizes the wood, just dont crazy with it
Quote by pa3k_2414
hey UG,

i've noticed that my rosewood fingerboard is starting to have little cracks in it.it's like a lot of small streaks of gap in the wood.it's not very deep but there's a lot of it on the surface and it's starting to get me worried because i think it's getting worse.what do i need to do to fix it?does it mean that the wood is drying out?i'll get pics if i can find my camera but for now,i described it as best as i can(english is not my first langauge)

suggestions would be appreciated

Don't worry about it. That is just the natural grain of the wood, it's not cracking. Lots of people oil their fretboard to stop this but you dont need to. I'd suggest you don't use lemon oil because it makes the wood feel better at 1st but it eventually starts to cause the wood to dry out more than it would have to begin with. Synthetic oils like you get in GHS fast fret or the stuff you can buy at www.lmii.com are the best. If you can't get synthetic oil then use linseed oil. Just remember not to use too much of any oil. 2 drops on the end of a Q tip is more than enough for a whole fretboard.
Not taking any online orders.
i just bought fast fret last week and i've been wiping my strings with it about about once a day.how much do i need need for the fretboard?do i apply it to the whole fretboard when i change strings?and how about the cleaner/prep and conditioner from dunlop,is that any good too?
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Give your strings a good wipe with the fast fret after each time you play. Your strings will last longer if you do it after you play, but typically you will get a nicer feel if you do it befor you play. You could always do both. Don't bother trying to work it into the fretboard, that will happen on it's own. Remember, fretboards don't actually need the oil at all. We put it there because we think it feels better.

I've never used the dunlop conditioner but I've heard good things about it.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 11, 2008,
i practically soaked my fretboard in fast fret yesterday, it was soo dirty. Fast fret really does bring strings back to life, i love it
this sig rocks....