Page 1 of 2
Ive been in the market for a new guitar for a while now and ive narrowed it down to a Jackson KE3 Kelly of an RR3 Rhoads. Anyone have any advice as to which one I should get?
Rr3 Ftw!
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
RR3 if you do a lot of standing KE3 if you sit down.
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Peavey Valveking halfstack
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
i got guitar hero 3, but without the controller.......my moms IQ is below 60.
Ke3 because you can sit down with it. Other than that they are very similar guitars.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Kelly.I rarely see people here with KEs.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by SideshowRaven24
neither.

evidence why you shouldn't have kids. go listen to death cab for cutie in the corner and slit. ty.

anyway, the specs are identical, just go with what shape feels best. a right angled cable will make sitting down with the rr3 much more comfortable.
RR is fine for sitting down if you hold it like a classical.BTW,is kelly better for sitting down and holding guitar 'normally'?
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
The next person that says you can't sit down with a Flying V is going to get slapped.
the kelly is based off the explorer shape, which in my opinion is one of the most intuitively designed guitars for playing posture. so yes, it's good for sitting and playing 'normally' and also amazing playing while standing.

the rr3 on the other hand, has very good upper fret access and looks mean as f*ck.
I've been gassing for a Kelly for a while now and I've got a RR. The RR nose dives a more than the Kellys that I've tried, but the KE's never dived at all. I'd say KE for me but just try both of them out and see which shape is better for you, like they^ said.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
I'd go for the RR3.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by SideshowRaven24
neither.

faggot.

my firend has a kelly, not sure what model, but it is such an awesum guitar!
i havnt played an RR before but i want to, they look so sick
im giobng to say get the kelly cuz its one of the best guitars ive ever played, and i love explorer guitars
I don't really like either one.............

BUT the Rhoads is one sexy "metal" guitar, I'll give it that.

Get that one.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I have a KE3...the only issue I can find with it is that its neck heavy and that the bolt on heel isnt contoured so its harder to get to the higher frets, but tahts with every single Jackson which is freakin retarded.

The main difference is the shape and how many frets you want....I'd go for the kelly, it turns peoples heads too.
id go for kelly, waaayy to many Vs in my school.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
thanks for the help....ordered the rhoads today but the guy said it could take up to 2 months cause they get backordered a lot or something
ive played both and both rocked hard. honestly they are pretty much the same axe with a different shape. just depends what you like. either way they are awesome for sure
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
RR3.. Kelly is ugly in my opinion
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Seems like you got the Rhoads already.. nice choice
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by noodlegts
RR3.. Kelly is ugly in my opinion

yeah thats what i meant. sorry if i sounded immature. I just highly dislike jackson guitars.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
one of the "cool" things about kellys is that they can fit in a regular gig bag if you dont feel like splurging for a new case right away. but you will make a tear in the bag over time.
Quote by SFSGSW
thanks for the help....ordered the rhoads today but the guy said it could take up to 2 months cause they get backordered a lot or something

Feel free to join the group.

What colour is it? The RR3 is one amazing guitar.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
AHH NOO not another RR3 player....we need more Kelly's! jesus.

haha oh well have fun waiting for it................or cancel and order a kelly!
Slap me. I have an RR24 and it's horrible to play sitting down. I had to buy a chair specifically for playing that guitar. It's horrible. Sure, you can put it on top of your leg like the picture at the beginning of the thread, but that's kind of an un-natural feeling when I play the lower frets. But it's the most beautiful thing ever created. I'd have to say don't go with that design if you sit down more than half the time you play. - sd
Last edited by hbtaj2000 at Feb 12, 2008,
Quote by hbtaj2000
Slap me. I have an RR24 and it's horrible to play sitting down. I had to buy a chair specifically for playing that guitar. It's horrible. Sure, you can put it on top of your leg like the picture at the beginning of the thread, but that's kind of an un-natural feeling when I play the lower frets. But it's the most beautiful thing ever created. I'd have to say don't go with that design if you sit down more than half the time you play. - sd

I find them fine to sit down with.

To the post above the one I quoted.

Kellys are nice, my second favorite Jackson model.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Randy Rhoads...all the way...if i could afford one i'd get one
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
What are you talking about? They make guitars with varying neck widths? Why the HELL didn't anyone tell me???? And why has every single guitar I've picked up in my entire life had the stupid thicker neck??? I have NEVER seen or held a guitar with a neck that felt like the appropriate size for my hand! Are they rare??? What other models are made with the thinner neck?

And that means the strings must be a bit closer together, right?

Dammit, I'm pissed. Here I am thinking about getting finger lengthening surgery when there are friggin' thin necked guitars???

AARGGGHHHHH!!!!

I wasn't really thinking about surgery. Well, I did, but such surgery doesn't exist. - sd

Quote by smellofcanada
get the kelly. My friend has one and the thin neck is soooooo comfortable.
Sure, different guitar companies can have different nut widths, thus bringing the strings closer or further apart.

However, I think your quote is about the flatness of the neck, IE not strings-closer-together thin, but less-chunkie-neck thin. I hope that makes some sense.

Page 1 of 2