hello all, i'm just wondering (in your opinions) what is better-- having stomp boxes on/in a pedal board or one of those digital programmable effect jobs? I want to add to what I already use, (overdrive/distortion, wah-wah) flanger/ phaser / chorus perhaps compressor, but not sure what is the best way to go thanks for your insight
Donlee
single effects are generally better quality sounding than multis
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i like to use all stompboxes i think that you have more musical freedom that way. its allitle more expensive but i gets u a way better sound
i think i agree with you ,, i went to the local music shop,, was going to get 2 pedals,, (flanger and phaser) let the sales guy talk me into that friggin all in one digitech -- got it home,, went through all the presets, tried to set my own , with certain levels etc... I hate it!! way too complicated, I just want to plug in and play for gods sake. thats going back to the store as quickly as i can get it there-- thanks for your insight
I hate those Digitechs. I have an old crusty zoom pedal... most people crap on them but I have tried alot of different stuff and I haven't found anything better than what I got dialed in on my Zoom. Of course... it took a while to dial it into a good tone... but now that I have it I'm set.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I think individual pedals are better than multi-effects because:

1) individual pedals tend to have better tone than all-in-one digital modellers.

2) if you don't like the sound of an effect you have, with individual pedals you just replace it, while you are stuck with whatever sound has been paired with your multi-effect pedal.
it depends on what you get. if you get something like a boss gt-8 or other high end multi-effects pedal then you will be able to get great sounds from it. it might have a steeper learning curve, but you can do things with one of those that you cant otherwise do.

then again, if you dont have that much to spend, its better off to grab one or two single effect stomps and build over time. but dont judge quality on a bad example. thats like judging all single pedals by those cheap lyon ones from target.
Quote by jof1029
it depends on what you get. if you get something like a boss gt-8 or other high end multi-effects pedal then you will be able to get great sounds from it. it might have a steeper learning curve, but you can do things with one of those that you cant otherwise do.

then again, if you dont have that much to spend, its better off to grab one or two single effect stomps and build over time. but dont judge quality on a bad example. thats like judging all single pedals by those cheap lyon ones from target.

Target has effects pedals? Hahahaha, I bet they are horrid.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
single effects are generally better quality sounding than multis

+1

Unless your gettting a really good one like the Boss GT-8 or the Vox Tonelab, which cost as much as a fair sized pedalboard or a few real good ones, than just get singles.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
+1

Unless your gettting a really good one like the Boss GT-8 or the Vox Tonelab, which cost as much as a fair sized pedalboard or a few real good ones, than just get singles.

it wasnt happy with the gt8, sold it a few weeks ago thankfully, sucked a lot of tone from my amp, for some reason the delays in the gt8 didnt sound right to me
I have both kinds. The stompboxes win hands down for control of the tone, but that's not to say you couldn't strike gold with a multi. I've got some lovely tones out of my Zoom FX pedal and if you're one of those people who is likely to want loads of effects (thus probably meaning individual tone is less important to you) then a multi is the practical, sensible option.

However, you'd need to be careful about what you go for. Some have a terrible reputation and a lot are difficult to setup. I've had mixed experiences with multi pedals at gigs. Recently I used my cruddy gear because it was a party and I didn't want to risk any of my expensive equipment, and I got some excellent auto-wah and phaser out of the thing. Other times you turn up and it just doesn't sound right. Especially if you're not using your own amp.

FYI, multi-fx compressors usually suck ass.
you guys make perfect sense to me-- i did see a high end multi that looked like it would provide more control over individual effects,, but at 450 bucks I'm going to stay with the stomp boxes, build my pedal board, adjust each effect accordingly and go for it

peavey lead
fender amp
crybaby wah
dist.
flanger/overdrive/phaser/chorus
looking for marshall amp