Page 1 of 2
Alrite guys, a few weeks ago my mate gave me a battered old "satellite" guitar from the seventies or somethin for me to have a go at renovating. He just found it in the street apparently. Its not great and made of plywood so it doesnt really matter if i go wrong I'm plannin on doing a white burst kind of effect like the pic below:

The guitar started off like this

and now looks like this
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Sorry the pics are so big lol.... I'm goin into town tomorrow to pick up some spray paint and stuff and i'll update some more soon
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
When we saw Presidents of The United States of America they were using a Satellite tube head and it sounded really nice. I wonder if it's the same company that made that guitar.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I am seeing a vintage white LP custom relic coming out of this. I think that would be perfect for an old 70s custom.
DIO FOREVER
^ do you mean something like this?

or just plain white/ cream?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Why do you think it's plywood? The top seems carved, but hasn't gone through any layers...
how do you get the pictures so big?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
hmmm, when i post pictures using imageshack i cant get them like that.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Thats just the size my camera phone made them... It is plywood but it's a bit strange because there's the main body which is plywood and then there's a thinner piece of plywood on top with bends over the top if you know what i mean?

This is the control cavity

This picture shows what i tried to explain the top of the guitar is thin plywood that curves over the body:
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
wow, im surprised that the top hasnt caved in or something.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Wow... there's cave underneath the top? Crazy... Nowadays you'd force such a top into shape with vaccuum, but I'm guessing they'd have used a big sack of sand or something to weigh it down.
Here are a few questions... im not sure whether to buy a new neck or not to replace the one i already have. that one i have is not in good condition and the frets are really worn down and i'm not good enough to do a re-fretting job but also the top MOP inlay has fallen out and the neck doesnt properly fit in the neck pocket and has a gap of 2 or 3 mm between it and the cutaway side of the pocket

Missing Inlay:

big gap

smaller pics this time ^^
Another question, what sort of paint should i use? would some sort of plasti-kote paint work? would Plasti-kote Super Enamel White work for the front? Or would Plasti-kote Matt Super be better?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Well i went out yesterday and bought black matt super and white primer super and some clear super acrylic laquer.

Today, after spending an hour or so looking for masking tape i decided to just use electrical insulation tape instead. Here's the guitar taped up:

First coat:

On the third or fourth coat i kinda messed up with the spraying because i was trying to fill a small crack around one of the bridge holes and i wasnt reli thinking and sprayed too much paint and tried to move the paint into the crack with my finger Needless to say i made a bit of a mess but im hopin i can sand out the bumps tomorrow? can anyone give me some tips on what to do now? My camera didnt pick it up very well but you can just about see:

Also I'm still looking for advice on what to do about the neck (see post above) so any help on that would be great.

Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
nice job so far anyway

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
just use some 220 grit sand paper 24 hours after you painted it, but dont sand it down to bare wood, just enough to get the bumps off, then re-spray, and it should be good
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
also, if you wanted to fill in the crack, wood filler would have worked too.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Thanks guys. Yeh but i didnt realise the crack was there until i had already sprayed a couple of coats. Theres a large crack on the back as well, near the control cavity which i will definitely use filler on. I'm not sure what to do now though, i've started to like it being white and so im not sure whether or not to do the burst anymore :S any opinions? More updates tonight

Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
wow i didnt even know you could use plasti-kote for guitars ?
i coulda saved myself a whole lot of trouble lol.
im still using plasti-kote primer though.

but anyways, its looking good man.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
haha i didnt know you couldn't? i just assumed it would be alright? it's been fine so far... what did you use?
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
^ im sure you probably can its the laquer i thought might have been a problem but its acrylic like the one i bought, so i suppose its just the same stuff, i bought car spray paint for mine, not used it yet though.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Yeh i spose. Well i'll let you know how it goes anyway. Todays updates aren't as much as i would like.... i filled the cracks with wood filler and then realised it took 2 hours to dry so i was sat waiting for quite a bit.. Then i got a few more coats of white on the front but i'm not sure about the burst anymore! :S :S i was thinking maybe doing a black racing stripe and having the back and sides black too. And also i was thinking of painting the binding black because i thought it looked pretty cool when i was gettin ready to paint and had the black tape over the binding.

So any input is greatly appreciated!

Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Have you tried the clear yet?
Im pretty sure I tried to use that clear coat only to find that once I sprayed it on my guitar it was really strange; I dont know how describe it, it was like it was really thick and completely different to anything I was expecting. I might be wrong, but just thought id let you know so dont ruin your paintjob like I did. Just make sure you try it on some scrap first, good luck!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Quote by 595escape!
Here are a few questions... im not sure whether to buy a new neck or not to replace the one i already have. that one i have is not in good condition and the frets are really worn down and i'm not good enough to do a re-fretting job but also the top MOP inlay has fallen out and the neck doesnt properly fit in the neck pocket and has a gap of 2 or 3 mm between it and the cutaway side of the pocket ...

If you're thinking instant gratification, balanced by self-recognition of limitations (skills with tools), I'd say buy a neck!

Once the modding bug has bitten hard and deep, then you can tackle the challenge of re-fretting that old neck and installing the missing MOP.

Far-out idea here: Set it up like it was a set neck! ... Install the neck bolts but without the neck plate, fill in the holes and mask the gaps between the body and neck, paint it the same color where it joins the body, etc.

A set neck on a plywood body! ... and through a beefy tube amp, it'll rock (hopefully)

Or, if you don't want to re-fret the thing, you could always set the action high and use it as a slide guitar. Humbucker in the bridge, humbucker-sized P-90 in the neck......it'd be awesome.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Since it's plywood and if you want it to sound decent, you might want to put some kind of active Pickups in it. Passive would sound terrible, imo. I have a plywood guitar. Trebly as hell.
Quote by 595escape!
^ do you mean something like this?

or just plain white/ cream?

plain cream.
DIO FOREVER
Awesome. I have an old plywood encore that I was thinking about painting for my son (just to hang on his wall, he's 9 and doesn't play... yet). It looks just like yours without the huge cavity.

I was also throwing around the idea of converting the standard bolt on neck joint to something like the AANJ on the JEMs.

Keep us updated

DS
Well i've decided to to the burst and now the back is black and i'm in the process of painting the sides but the paint keeps running! It's getting pretty annoying, does anyone have any tips on avoiding this happening? I'm probably going to need to sand out the drips that are already there. but here are some pics

Back with first coat:

Upper Side:

Front:

In the front picture you can see where the paint has run and dripped which i will have to sand off.

Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
to stop it dripping hang it instead of spraying when its lay down, and dont go so close with the spray, it'l come out thinner but a few more coast will solve that.

it looks pretty nice as it is though, good job up to now.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
to stop it dripping hang it instead of spraying when its lay down, and dont go so close with the spray, it'l come out thinner but a few more coast will solve that.

it looks pretty nice as it is though, good job up to now.

+X^0 !!!

Other things to consider:
  • Make sure to shake the cans twice as long as recommended to avoid spitting
  • Keep the cans warm by parking them in warm tap water, again to make the paint spray evenly
  • When spraying, start a few inches outside of the body and end a few inches outside of the body. Don't start spraying on the body itself.
  • Add a few inches to the recommended spraying distance.

Since you'll be doing the burst next, it's important to "mist" the paint instead of spraying. Misting means you almost double the recommended spraying distance.

This will ensure that the Black to White burst has the nice subtle blending instead of a stark Black and White contrast or demarcation line.

When in doubt, practice on a scrap piece of wood. Good Luck!

i watched someone do a burst once, and they had a piece of cardboard cut out where it'd just have the outer edges of the body showing, and to make the burst, the piece of coardboard was elevated off the body like this |----| so the spray could still get under it to give it that burst effect, i'm a complete n00b at painting and don't know what i'm talking about, but just trying to help out, as that actually made a good looking burst
+X^0 !!!

Quote by Chad11491
i watched someone do a burst once, and they had a piece of cardboard cut out where it'd just have the outer edges of the body showing, and to make the burst, the piece of coardboard was elevated off the body like this |----| so the spray could still get under it to give it that burst effect, i'm a complete n00b at painting and don't know what i'm talking about, but just trying to help out, as that actually made a good looking burst

+X^0 !!!

That's exactly what Project Guitar recommends. After looking at the above picture more closely, the Burst would come out really funky, unless that was intentional by 595escape!

lookin good dude
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
actually Ippon, if you want to say +X^0, you must first specify that x does not equal 0, in order to follow the laws of exponents.
Page 1 of 2