Hey guys, For this months BOTM I am doing it on my newly purchased John Myung bass! Heres the Specs.

Yamaha RBX6JM Six String Signature Series Bass. 24 frets, bolt on neck 35' scale, ebony fingerboard with infinity inlay and marker dots on the side. String spacing smaller than a 4 string. dual truss rod.
Alder body with flamed maple top (turquoise green) This bass was shop soiled as there were some large dinks in the finish. Hence the low price of £600 rather then the usual £850
Active electronics (one 9v battery) with pickup balance, volume, bass, mid and treble controls (boost+cut), 2 yamaha humbucking pickups.
Gold hardware

I generally play Indie rock, prog and metal Using Tapping Fingerstyle and a little bit of slap.
I'd say this is a great bass for rock, metal and prog, it's loud and bright & has a very up front sound.I like the EQ to be completly flat with more emphasis on the neck pickup. This gives a punchy tone, and the treble doesn't hiss too loud, like some active pickups i've heard. With some fiddling with the eq, you can get a pretty wide range of tones.

I decided on this model since I wanted a 6-string, and the string-spacing was narrower than a typical 6'er. I have to point out that i have owned an 8 string bass, I also must point out that my hands are medium sized, and some parts are hard to play for me, with the neck width and length. I would recommend that anyone with smaller hands spend some time with this before purchasing. However, it works very well for chords on the higher strings (one of the main reasons I got it) and I get around the neck pretty well.

The inlays are very attractive on the bass, Though it starts on the 13th fret which is a slight bit offputting at first but meh. You get used to it

The bass is a brick !... never dropped it, but I'm certain it will withstand alot of abuse.

One of the biggest problems i have had with the bass is the factory setup. The nut was loose, and cut so the high C was nearly hanging off the fretboard. So a quick adjustment and that was sorted, some of the frets were chipped on the edge, probably because ebony is a very brittle wood and has chipped in the fretting process. Again not a problem, just smoothened off the edges.

And heres some pictures!

Yeha pretty blurry sorry. And the aspect ratio is terrible when i sized the photo down, the bass is alot wider then that.

Anyway, To continue on with the story, I emailed Yamaha asking for the instruction manual and some production specs of the first JM model. Bare in mind i allways put my personal website address on my emails.

They replied to me a couple of weeks later with the manual and specs AND they went on my website and listened to my solo stuff and my band stuff and offered me an endorsment deal ((Note not sponsership)) Basically if i endorse them i can get free strings and accesories and discount off of Yamaha stuff in return I get them pictures of me playing the bass live and at home, and write an article about how great it is.
Also i have to play my Yamaha at nearly all my gigs. Its a small price to pay because it is a fantastic bass anyway!
So i have a very big gig coming up next week, i'll be taking alot of pictures of it then so i will post them up on here and let you guys know about the how the Endorsement deal is going.

I only know of one other person in the local scene who is endorsed by a company which would be Maverick. So i would say im pretty damn lucky!

Rob

Fake EDIT: So more pictures to come on the 16th/17th and a live review.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Hey Guys? I am doing a BOTM on my new Warwick 5-String Thumb. Here is the info on it; this is my first BOTM so give me some slack?.
It?s a Warwick 5-string Thumb Bolt-On, I am not exactly sure on the year but I am pretty sure it was made whenever they were still hand-made, 24 jumbo frets, Bolt-on neck, 3 piece Ovangkol Neck, Ovangkol Body and a Wenge fingerboard, the bass was in very great condition only things about it were the screws on the bridge had visible signs of somebody not paying attention to what they were doing and there was a fret buzz which had been fixed the day I bought it. I got it for an excellent price of $900. It was sold to a local music shop, who I happen to be really good friends with the owner, who immediately contacted me whenever it came in. the person who it belong to played for Nashville?s Little Old? Opry. It has active pick-ups they are MEC active J/J, Electronics MEC active BEC II 2 way, a stacked high low, and it has a volume knob that pulls to make the bass have what I guess to be passive, it also has another knob that controls the pick-up blend. Black Hardware?
Well I play any style there is out there and this bass does the job for it, I mean for like grunge it has a deep heavy growl if you want it, the highs on it cut threw really nice, it has a very nice sustain the bridge on It was set really nice, and the bass hardly ever needs tuned the tuner locks on it are amazing, you can also get a wide variety of tones.
The bass is a solid bass I would never doubt it, it is a really reliable bass.

I will add pictures when i can get them resized... and if you have any qeustions just ask me....
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Last edited by pink chili at Dec 19, 2005,
The January Bass of the Month is... the everlasting Tacoma Thunderchief CB10 4 String Acoustic Bass Guitar!

There a lot of acoustic bass guitars out there now. Very few of them, are worth a crap. In my experiences, Fender's aren't very loud unless you pick.
Takamines can be loud enough, and with this, they are the only ABGs I recommend other than the Tacoma Thunderchief.
However even at that, the Takamine never produced nearly as much volume as the 'chief.
I never played a Michael Kelly, but I read in several reviews their tone was nice but their volume sucked; and they were basically there for looks and not for sound.
And with that, I bought a Tacoma Thunderchief.

It comes with a nice hardshell case (custom because the bass is... not going to fit in any other case other than this one).

The reason the Thunderchief produces so much more volume, is because of one main reason.
The location of the soundhole. I'm not sure why this does anything at all; but it says that on the Tacoma site, and I'll believe them since they do it with their guitars, too. And acoustic guitars tend to be loud enough to be heard over acoustic guitars, while acoustic basses do not.

As you can see, the pickguard is clear and the looks are none too fancy. However, the sound is LOUD and VERY nice. My only complaint is the pickup gets quite a lot of bad sound if you turn it up too much, and is a guitar pickup so the highs and lows... aren't... really that effective. lol

Still, it is THE perfect acoustic bass for acoustic situations. Don't believe me? Watch this vid. It takes an updated quicktime (taken from my cell phone... as with all the pics here! heh. lol), but if you really want to see how loud this thing is compared to an acoustic guitar...
dayamn son. Be warned.

http://utbrocks.com/sounds/MOV00001.3gp
(Note: this is from a "gig" that is basically just a bunch of friends at a party. And the camera is my cell phone. And the camera man is a girl who likes to flirt. As you will be able to tell if you actually watch it.)

I also used this in acoustic jam with 2 acoustic guitarists. I read in reviews before purchasing it that "will be heard fine over one, but won't do crap over two".
And that's wrong.

If you pluck lightly, you can be heard over 1 guitar. If you pluck hard, you can be heard over 2 or maybe even 3 guitars. Check out the vid. The thing is loud.
The tone on it is very nice, gives a very gentle and easy tone; when plugged in it sounds a lot like the bass on STP's "Creep" and I like it like that. It can also sound like an upright bass if you mess with the settings enough.

I've never changed strings on it, but I do plan to. I've only owned it for about a month and I have some acoustic strings (Ernie Balls) waiting to be put on before my next acoustic gig. I'm just holding off and milking these strings dry because acoustic strings aren't easily accesible.

It stays in tune well, but doesn't slap for crap. However, you don't buy an ABG for slapping and with that, no points taken off.

New these babies can cost around $1200, I bought mine off a friendly user called K-Dubb at talkbass.com for $700 (or, my parents did as a Christmas gift.)
And what a great gift it was. It's been gigged twice in the past month, basically.
It's well worth it. Even without too many acoustic songs, its good because at any time if real practice gets too loud, we can all just head inside and pick up acoustics.
And the bass, for once, will be heard.

Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Last edited by UtBDan at Dec 29, 2005,

Most basses these days have an active pre-amp. A few also have an active pickup to boot, and very few have two active pickups.

The MusicMan Bongo was designed from the ground up to give total control over your EQ/tone. The HH version is, in my opinion, the way it was meant to be: active pre-amp, and two active neodymium humbuckers.

The neodymium is what separates these pickups from most humbuckers. MusicMan was researching ways of improving its pickups and found out these magnets caused a greater tonal control. Scientifically speaking, why? I have no idea. But rather than slap them on a bass they were already making, they figured a special pickup should be on a special bass.

They asked the award winning BMW design team to design a bass. Now, that?s not exactly something they?ve done before. But what they came up with was the MusicMan Bongo.

It doesn?t come with a hardshell case, but mine did because I bought used from a nice man on talkbass (and the ernieball forums) called bovinehost? real name Jack. His website is a great place to look at some Bongos and hear the factual history of Bongos from a man who was very close to there.
http://www.bovinehost.com/
My exact bass is on that site under former basses: http://www.bovinehost.com/currentbasses/bongo4.html
But the history of the bongo is at
http://www.bovinehost.com/bongo/bongoinfo.html

The gyst of this bass goes like this: If you know your tone, you can have it on this bass. If you don?t know your tone, with enough trial and error, you will find it on this bass.

I always wanted a hip-hop like tone when I play root notes, a very 70s, high (not necessarily tinny but very close to it) slap tone, and sometimes something in between.
It took me a while to discover the beauty of it all. But I found them in time. lol

I may record my renditions of certain tones later - that's why I held off on doing this for so long. But in the end I really don't have THAT much free time so I'm sorry if I let anyone down.

Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
The Musicman Stingray is a bass perhaps mentioned more than any other on these forums. Most bass suggestion threads come down to it being unanimously approved, and I?m sure there are a fair few users on this site who have faked ownership of such a bass for the thrill of bragging over the internet. More or less, it has achieved ?status bass? status.

However, this instrument should not be talked off due to its infamy. This bass, in my opinion, is more than deserving of such wide praise.

THE LOWDOWN

Physical Aspects

This is a hefty piece of equipment. As of yet, I have avoided any permanent shoulder damage, but pushing ten pounds, it is a fairly heavy instrument. Body wise, I?ll refer to the oft mentioned comparison of Stingray to Sterling as Precision is to Jazz. It has a thick, prominent, fat body. The neck is very securely attached with six bolts. It also is unvarnished, and in unison with its relative lack of girth feels incredibly fast. The downside to this, however, is the dirt accumulation that prompts obsessive handwashing. The truss rod is situated at the bass of the neck on the body, in wheel form. Much easier to adjust than the customary headstock location. The tuners, Schaller BM?s, are marvelous. I have had to tune seriously maybe once every two months since I bought it. The bridge is ?fixed?, which I?ll admit I don?t entirely understand, but it has 8 adjustable (via an insanely small allen wrench) screws, and you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want with the action. The fretboard comes in maple or rosewood. Nothing much to say there.

Electronics

No doubt this section will be comparatively lacking, so feel free to note me on any errors or lack of crucial information. My model, from the brilliant year of 1997, was pre multi-pickup phase of development. It has the single high output humbucker in the customary position, with a powered 3 band active preamp. The battery was put in used and has yet to die on me after 6 months of continual use. Not bad at all. Shielding consists of a ?Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and chrome plated brass control cover?, to quote the EBMM website. Interpret this as you will.

My Experiences

First off, this instrument made my 15 watt Crate Practice amp sound good. This comes after a year of warnings about how the amp is 105% of your sound and buying a new bass first was a stupid idea. Obviously the tone was not as thick or rich as on a superior amp, but the change in quality from an Ibanez starter bass was unfathomable.

However, we?ll take my main impressions of tone from my GK 400RB, with the tone controls at 12. In general, the bass has a very rich tone, full of detail. It is fairly bright with an equal EQ setting, and very punchy, one of the trademarks of Stingrays and EBMM in general. Cranking the bass up slightly and slapping a low E produces a feeling one similar to orgasm. Vibrant and full of nuance, it just screams ?bass?. The low E string is very articulate, almost nothing getting lost or muddied. Slides are particularly fun. A and D follow suit. Then we get to the G. The ?quiet G? is almost always talked about when this bass is mentioned. Truthfully, its not very noticable at all. Pickstyle or fingerstyle, there is no difference in volume between any of the strings. The only time I really notice it is when I lower the treble and mids significantly and pop. Even then, I wouldn?t describe it as quiet so much as understated. It just doesn?t stick out as much as a pop on the D or A string. A bit of equalizer fiddling minimizes the issue, and overall, to not buy this bass based on that ?problem? would be stupidity comparable to trying to pass a bill allowing POW?s to be convicted without ever seeing the evidence against them.

Slapping, as hinted at earlier, is a dream. This is, in my opinion, the definitive funk slap instrument. (It is not quite suited to Les Claypool, and ill equipped in general to anything Victor Wooten-ish in nature.) Every not just sounds awesome, punchy, and rich. This bass is also quite adept when used pickstyle, perhaps due to the growl of instrument. Fingerstyle produces almost as much joy as slap, especially when dwelling on the high end, one of the few times a Victor like tone can be obtained. Each note, again, sounds very, very rich. Elsewhere it sounds just as good. Deep fat reggae pulse tones can easily be achieved. Punchy fast funk lines, in which each note on the top two strings sounds similar to a pop, are just as easy. Plain growling punk rock or metal works wonderfully. Don?t Forget Me, for some reason unknown to me, is a joy to play on this bass. Overall, there are few things lacking.

THE DOWNSIDE

Every bass has one, and this is no exception, small as it may be. The natural punchocity of the bass will infuriate some users. If you don?t want the bass to be very present, this is probably not your instrument. It also makes ultra smooth lines slightly difficult. The unvarnished neck has a tendency to get dirty. People may criticize the single humbucker for limiting tonal possibilities, but now that can be remedied with the multi pickup combinations. It has a woody tone, but not the woody-ness and acousticness of Victor Wooten or the roll of Mike Gordon. It is pretty heavy, and pretty big. The pickguard no doubt will not suit all tastes. I can?t seem to find a good low action for tapping, which is frustrating.

VARIANTS

Left handed, 5 string models. As of 2004, double humbucker or single coil and humbucker combinations are now available, each with a pickup selector switch (as on the 5 string model). Newer models feature a ?compensated nut? for better intonation. Humbuckers now have thumb rests...

OVERALL

A brilliant high end instrument, suited towards styles of music with a very present bass tone. Lots of punch, richness, and vibrancy. Wide range of tones provided by the preamp and humbucker. Great for slap, fingerpicking, and fingerstyle.

I hope someone learned something. We really, really needed a new BOTM, and I was bored.

SOUNDCLIPS

I'll probably update this, but for now:

http://www.myspace.com/ntkmusic

Just for Name This Song. High End Stuff.

Furry Barmaid Ska Instrumental. It needs crits. I busted my ass for this. Do what you must. You owe it to me.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431265

For the UG 2 Note Challenge. An example of slap tone.

http://bluemelon.dmusic.net
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Last edited by Yertle at Sep 11, 2006,
hey guys, this is my recently acquired Washburn XB925. it is the top of the line bass from washburn (W/O going custom shop) made in Chicago. I paid 620 for it used. new they are 1,200 to 1,500 depending on where you go.

Features 9/10
the bass is stock, and i dont think there is anything i would want to change on it.
# Built in the USA Custom Shop
# Swamp Ash body
# Zebrawood top
# Neck Scale 34"
# 24 Frets
# Maple Neck
# Double truss rods
# Rosewood fingerboard
# Bartolini® Custom pickups & preamp (3 band EQ with passive/active switch and blend)
# Bartolini® control knob
# Football chrome jack plate
# Grover® bass tuners
# Buzz Feiten Tuning System™

the bridge is a Takeuchi bridge similar to a Hipshot A style bridge. nice, sturdy, lots of mass. one thing i have had problems with is the pots. mine came somewhat dirty, and ive had problems cleaning them. also, the fretboard is kinda pale, but that may be fixed with some more oilings of the neck.
i also added some straplocks last night. now i feel better about hanging this on my shouder with locks instead of just my ernie ball strap.

Reliability 10/10
the bass is sturdy as hell. its built strong, it stays in tune for days. was gone for a few days, and it was in tune. when i pulled it out of the box, the thing was in tune. also, the thing is pushing 10 pounds. it dont feel like you can break it. ive seen with other basses in its price range. i dont think i would bring a backup bass because if a string breaks, i can have it repalced in less than a minute.

Sound 9/10
this i think is kinda tricky for me to answer. mainly because ive been having problems with my cabinets. and i never really cared to tweak my 13 band EQ. but it will do what i want. i can make it a deep church-esque bass, where there isnt much bright to it. then i can make it sound all poppy like a jazz bass. the active/passive switch i dont use that much mainly because i like the tone of it better when active. slapping on this thing sounds great. also tapping on this thing is the easiest ive ever done.
i have had problems with trying to make it sound somewhat woody, like an upright. but i havnt tried and i wouldnt know where to start.

Value 8/10
this bass is worth every penny i paid for it. the bad thing about washburn electrics, is they have a very low resale, which can be good for the buyer, but terrible for the seller. but i dont plan on selling this anytime soon, so im not worried about that. however, this bass will do what i want without any problems. i dont think ill get another 5. and if i go for a 4 or a 6 string, im going with this line of basses.

Overall 9/10
this bass is great, some things that may cause an issue down the road will kinda make me go "shoulda got a _______ i can get my money back on that" but thats the real big thing im worried about. but as of now, this bass is great for what i need, and what i want. like i said, only reason i would get another bass is for the amount of strings, and it will be an XB bass.
these are what i have, ill get better ones in the next few days if i feel like it

Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by skull277
woah nice, havent seen a wood style like that before

its called zebrawood (for obvious reasons) i was talking to my luthier friend about zebrawood and he was telling me that it isnt that fun of a wood to work with because it has a tendency to break somewhat easily.

theres a better picture of the grain
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
NB, Yes i play BC Riches, No I am not a n00b who buys them because they look Metal and cool. I have been playing longer then most of you kids on here, Been on tour twice, Been endorsed by a famous bass company was an SMOD here and recorded many CDS, So if all you here to say is "BCRICH SUCK" **** off. I bought this bass for the functionality first.

Anyway on to it

BC-RICH Mockingbird 1982 NJ Full Electronics.

1982 Jap-made 4-string bass. 34" scale 24 fret maple Bolt on with rosewood fingerboard and Dot fret. Mockingbird body shape - that is, sort of a smaller curvaceous whimsical take on the Explorer. Big Grover tuners (smooth, hold tune quite well), heavy brass Hi-Mass Bridge.

Electronics are two P-Bass pickups (one in about the normal position, the other very close to the bridge), I think DiMarzios, going into a complicated control layout with lots of switches. The pickups are passive but there's an active preamp available. There are many varieties of Mockingbird basses around, but this is fairly representative of the early models, except that in '79 the body shape was briefly changed, and it's a bit smaller and has a shallower cutaway than all the other years. Also some of the early ones have passive electronics, and though most have maple necks and bodies, some have koa. Today's standard Mockingbird is also pretty similar, except for a P/J pickup combo, passive electronics, pointy inline headstock, and possibly different bridge and tuners. Mine did not come with any sort of case or accessories. As an aside, though I thought finding a case would be very difficult for this unusual shape, a slightly-wider-than-normal Alvarez 6-string case did the trick. The features are somewhat difficult to rate because there aren't as many as on some modern active multi-laminate basses, but it's pretty close to the cutting edge for the late 70's.

I'm going to get rather long-winded here, so the short version is: massive sound with massive sustain and lots of available tones. The controls are complicated, which allows for a lot of different sounds, including some that aren't probably very useful. In "normal" passive mode, the sound is very full and massive, but with a bright and sensitive attack. It has a lot of bottom, which can be somewhat muddy, but that often is just the thing needed underneath a big wall of guitars or whatever. With the tone all the way down, it's all rumbling low low end. There are series/parallel switches for each pickup (similar effect to a coil tap), a phase switch, and a 5-position varitone switch, which all emphasize the high end at the cost of the bottom. The varitone makes it sound very Rickenbacker-ish, and the phase switch makes it even thinner, almost guitarlike in the upper register. The series/parallel switches make things brighter and more delicate but somewhat wimpy, but I really like the sound with one pickup is series (normal) and the other in parallel mode. There's also a preamp, which boosts the signal, but it boosts it less if it's quieter - this effectively reduces the sustain by a whole lot. I don't like how the preamp colors the tone, however. More sounds than anyone would need, perhaps, but what I like so much about this bass is that it can be low enough to sit happily underneath a baritone guitar, or bright and clear enough for playing chords or soloing over another bass instrument, or unearthly rumbling noises, or whatever. It can also sound very good and full all by itself, as well as produce some ridiculously thin and useless tones - but someone else might like them... By the way, engaging the preamp with a dying battery and playing with the varitone can yield some intereseting lo-fi noises... However, that does not mean that this bass can do it all. One thing it will never do is sound "classic" or "vintage", because it has a very different attack from the familiar Fender "thump", and way too much sustain. The best way I can put this is that its tone is much farther removed from an upright bass than any other electric bass I've played. Definitely not for everyone.

I didn't get this new, but the setup was fine, requiring only minor intonation adjustment, which was probably because of climate change. The strings that came on it were very heavy 115s, But i changed it to 95's and all was well! The playability of this bass is very good - the neck is wide with a flat radius, but for whatever reason (perhaps the very nicely dressed flat and wide frets) this plays much better than most other basses with the same string tension and action. Upper fret access is unimpeded to the 21st fret, and possible all the way to the 24th, thanks to the very nicely sculpted neck/Bolt/body joint and slight neck angle, which really help. The craftsmanship is of high quality, better than any Fender or Gibson I've seen, but it's not perfect. The inlays have a fair amount of filler around them.

The fingerboard wood is very nice - not especially "rosey" but the grain is straight and highly visible. The control cavity is about as neat as it can be considering the amount of knobs and switches cramped into it, but the circuit board for the varitone's caps and the battery are floating free and attached to nothing. But i managed to drill them down. It's shielded on the back with aluminum foil, but the control plate wasn't shielded till I put aluminum tape on it myself. Also, the cover plate isn't countersunk, which would have been nice. So give it a 9 for playability and 8 for quality. It's very well built, but considering it's mostly handmade, it's not exactly perfect.

Nearly 25 years old and still going strong. A bit of oxidation on the saddles is all. The finish has some dings, but very few of them go through to the wood, which is indicative of a very tough and thick finish. The complicated electronics with free-floating parts were the only cause for worry, but they seem very solid where they are now.

The sounds will not be to everyone's liking, but are to mine. I got this because I wanted something with truly massive bottom so I could use it underneath a baritone guitar, but also like to play chords sometimes, so I needed an extremely broad tonal range. The only things I could afford that would suffice were this and some used high-end Peavey models, and I chose this because it's an old handmade instrument with much more character, and certainly not an imitation of anything else. Right now BC Riches are a great value because of their use by unfashionable metal bands, but they weren't designed for metal, just adopted by those bands because they didn't look like anything used at Woodstock, so the perception that they're only good for hard loud playing isn't true of all of them. Buy unfashionable gear anyway and don't pay for looks!

So i am happy

So i have to say goodbye again guys, its not often i have time to write this much So to wish you all a happy Christmas Enjoy whatever you get and hope you have a good drunken new year.

Rob.
Last edited by Asomodai at Dec 14, 2006,
this month's Bass of the Month is me Conklin GT4 4 string electric bass. the body is a solid piece of swamp ash, bolt on 5 layer wenge and purpleheart neck with a purpleheart fretboard. two Bartolini MK-1 active humbucking pick-ups and toggle on-off active electronics. i like the unique shape and especially the locking input jack.

the knobs: from right to left top row: master volume, pickup pan, bass-active off
right to left bottom row: treble-active off, active electronics toggle switch, mids-active off

Pros:
locking input jack
paning pickups gives total control over mids and tone
toggling active electronics
beatiful sounding active pickups
fast neck from middle to lower register
thin frets, rarely make that horrid clacking
unique look
very balanced
tonal variety that can perform any type of music
harmonic can sound through extremely clear when dialed in right

Cons:
thick neck at higher register, can be hard to finger
can get pitchy in the very high register
bit heavy
neck requires constant oiling
treble booster can cause hissing when cranked

Samples:
Sienfeld, very old sample

im working on getting my sample of Portrait of Tracy up, but all the internet video sites seem to be down tongiht.....

Price Paid:$600

the family
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Specs: Warwick Streamer LX4

24 Frets

P-J Config

Maple Body with flame top.

Violin burst

My Streamer is a 2005 model that I bought second hand on bassworld.co.uk. May as well have been brand new though. It’s a beauty. One of the best looking basses out there, if you like compliments get it with gold hardware. My model has a Tobbacoburst Finish, which is as tough not a scratch or a dent in it so far!
This is the second Warwick I have owned. I used to own a 96’ Fortress bass that I just didn’t get on with. The neck was very large and the sound was just completely dead. But I thought I would give it another go with this streamer.

The bolt on neck, is a beauty to play, It’s pretty chunky as Warwick necks are, but fast as well. As usual It may not be to everyone’s taste. The wood used though, stunning is the only way to describe it. It’s the usual Wenge, ovangkol combination.

The MEC pickups are good, not outstanding but they do the job without complaint. The controls are breeze to use and responsive.

The two piece bridge not only looks stunning but is one of the most adjustable bridges I have used. Any which way you like your bass it can be adjusted with an Allen key (supplied) in a flash.

The adjust-a-nut 2 is awesome. Now you can, pretty obviously, adjust the nut in a jiffy, with the strings still on. Again using the same Allen key. However it seems a bit brittle as it is only made out of plastic, I have heard lots of complaints about them.

Everything else: tuners ETC are excellent quality. The battery enclosure is really simple to get at, no fiddling with screws so it’s as easy to change the battery in the heat of the moment.

I play a wide range of music, Rock, Funk, Metal, Blues, Prog and this bass handles everything without any problems.

It’s got huge variety, as well as that famous Warwick growl you can dial in some great slapping tones, some awesome high end that remarkably lacks that high end buzz as well as the best least muddy low end boom I’ve ever heard. When the battery starts to go however which is every couple of months it sounds very weak so keep a spare battery handy always. I haven't used it in the studio but live It’s a dream.

I bought mine second hand so the setup was probably done by the previous owner. The finish however was flawless. No complaints here. Over time however the brass hardware oxidizes and one needs to polish the hardware to get it gleaming again. It does look stunning though.

Solid as a rock. No loose wires. The only wear and tear I have experienced is the paint rubbing off the pickups. It comes with strap locks that are fairly solid

I string up all of my basses with Optima Gold Strings, These are the best strings money can by in my opinion, And if they endorsed people I would fully sign myself up for them.

Most of you know about my collection of basses so I wont bore you with that. I do get through a lot of basses all the time, and swap and trade them out. But hopefully this one is to stay. I may exchange it out for a 5 string version at some point, But in a P-J config which hasent actually been produced.

However it does the specific Job I ask of it very well (Modern Funk jazz stuff, Along the lines of Jamiroquai.)

UPDATE:

Heres A band recording using the Warwick in todays studio session, The horn section is not in place but the main things are all there.

I used a old Dual valve trace elliot through a peavey 2x10 and a 1x15 home made cab.

http://www.geocities.com/theadvocategenerals/picturesgigs/RobertQuickWriteitdown.mp3

Rob.
Last edited by Asomodai at Apr 17, 2007,
The Long Awaited Jazz Bass 24 V!

Specs:

-34” scale
-Licensed Hipshot Tuning Heads
-Maple Neck Rosewood Board
-24 frets
-Tobacco Sunburst Quilt Maple Top
-Seymour Duncan Basslines Pickups
-Volume Push/Pull Active/Passive Pot
-Panoramic Potentiometer (Pan Pot )
-Low (30 Hz)/High (5.1 kHz) Stacked Knob
-Mid (650 Hz) Knob
-Slap Switch (-5Db@633Hz, +5Db@83Hz)
-Hi-mass String-Thru Bridge

How She Feels:

The feel on this monster is amazing. The neck is smooth the body is perfectly contoured, virtually no complaints of feeling here. The neck has a satin polyurethane finish on it which, after coming from a high lacquer finished neck, feels spectacular. The neck feels like silk under your thumb. The neck is also relatively thin coming in at 1.875” at the nut and, surprisingly, feeling virtually no different than my 1.625” P-bass. The neck never really becomes a hunk of wood if you know what I mean. On some basses higher up on the neck it feels like you’re playing a log. This bass has a contoured neck that perfectly allows for access up to the 24th fret, although for full comfort it’s more realistic to say 21st or 22nd fret, invaluable to adventurous playing. The bass is light weighing at a grand total of: 9 lbs. (4 Kg) which for a fiver is pretty decent. The bass feels great on the knee and really feels nice standing too, with a nice 3” strap of course.

You can see the contour of the higher neck there.

And here you can see the sexin, er, I mean contour of the body.

How She Sounds:

The sound on this bass is spectacular. The pickups have a nice hot output and a touch of roar to them. I like the sound on the bass mostly because it’s a great middle man. The passive J’s often sound a little too tame for what I want and a hotter bass like Schecters usually sound way too wild. The J 24 hits the perfect middle ground with enough classic in it to achieve an old bassy rock tone, and enough modern in it to get the modern rock roar. With the neck pick up soloed the bass has a real big thump to it. The only thing I don’t like about the neck pickup is that it’s a little too thumpy so I do need a little bit of bridge pumped in there. The bridge pickup on the other hand is fantastic. It gets a very crisp sound without the nasally tones coming out of the bridge pickup of MIM basses. Overall I like a pretty heavily leaned on bridge pickup with some neck in there too. The other great thing about this bass is that the pickups are so individual and the versatility is outstanding. The EQ on this bad boy is fantabulous (did you know that’s actually a word). The frequency of each pot is at a good point to make the EQ sensitive enough to only need a little tweaking therefore the sound of you bass is kept for the most part. The bass is at 30 Hz offering a big boom which in small doses makes for a really great low end thump. The high is set at 5.1 kHz giving a fairly piercing addition to the sound but again in small doses it really works to achieve a tone different enough, but still close to the pure sound of your bass. The mid is a gripe I might have but it’s easily corrected. The only problem I have with the mid control (650 Hz) is that it is only a cut knob and there is no way to boost the mids. It’s easy to correct by just pushing up the mids on your amp a touch no worries really. Beyond that I find the mids in a nice place to boost that extra little punch without adding the wine or the guttural cry of a too low or high mid setting. Overall this bass is a quite classic sounding bass but with dashes of modern thrown in. It’s like some fried potatoes are a Jazz Bass and a bottle of basil is a Schecter. The Jazz 24 would be the fried potatoes with some basil cooked in perfectly.

A shot of the knobs

And one of the pickups

Complaints:

If someone stuck a gun to my head and said
“Complain about this bass or I’m going to shoot you and through doing so, splatter you brains all over the beautiful finish of your bass.”
I would reply that, “I don’t like how the bass has no mid boost ability. I also wish the bridge pickup was in the 70s pickup position.” That’s literally it. This bass is basically perfect for what I need right now. Although there is a slight fret… I’m loathe to say “buzz” because it’s not really that… it’s more of a slight noise when lifting off the fret, easily dialed out by the EQ or some better technique.

Some General Pictures:

A picture of the backs luscious textures

A general full frontal nude spread.

The sexy Fender logo.

And that's about the gist of this bass. I'll be happy to field any questions in 10 days when I return from Virginia. In the mean time there's a couple other people on this board who own this and can answer your questions.
Finnally a music man stingray (Moon)

34" scale
earnie ball tuning heads
maple neck and finger board
21 frets
transleucent gold finish.
moonstone pickguard
Alnico Humbucker pickups
Volume knob
3-Band Bass EQ
standard bandaxal circuit centered approximately 500 Hz
Low max 40Hz
High Max 12 Khz
mid-centered 500 Hz
music man bridge

How Moon plays
Amazing. The strings are spaced 3/4" from the center. Plenty of room there.
With there only being a bridge pickup this stinger is ideal for any slap. The satin polyurethane, unfinished feel to the neck makes sliding long distances
a breese. and coming from on eof those high gloss finishes that feel like rubber its all the better. it comes in 6cm at the 21st fret and 4.2 cm at the newly designed
compensated nut. The purpose of this new nut design is to improve note accuracy all over the fretboard. Each string has an individual intonation pocket that slightly changes the effective string length,
causing notes that traditionally play sharp to be more in tune. the neck is fairly wide but its very thin. personally i think it has a perfect comonation of the two. The neck has contours higher up towards the body
for less streinuous playing of the higher frets. i have no problem reaching the 21st fret on the G and the D i have to stretch a little bit for the A or E. Its fairly light, my old bass was very small therefor light,
but this one is not much heavier at all. its all around great for tapping, fingerstyle, and slap, i play alot of slap on it.

the compensated nut

the neck contour

How Moon sounds.
Now, given i have s **** amp. (beheringer BX300) i can get a preety awesome sound out of this bad boy. With the 3band Eq, its easily adjustable right from the bass itself. It has a great slap sound, just boost lows and highs,
cut the mids like alwase. The active pickups give it a very punchy in your face sound as they alwase do. and with the brightness of the earnie ball super slikies on it. it very bright. Personally i like to try and go for that old no doubt tone.
tho i havent quite figured it out yet i can still get a preety mean sounding bass. or if you want to sound like flea, thi is the ideal bass to do so on. well, flea back in the day. I also like to get a very bassey tone cut everythign but the bass.
and it shakes everything as a bass guitar should. The bass is at 30Hz giving that monsterous punching low end rumble to everything. THe high is at 12 kHz so it can pierce through the lows and be heard, for normal playing or lead. (how ever avante-garde it may be *caugh*NSD*caugh*). and the mid is centered at around 500Hz for a rolling roary sound that is just cool :p. all around this bass is extremly versitil for all tyes of play and sound.

the knobs

the pickup

Complaints about Moon
well, coming from a very bad bass before her, i have almost no complaints. i wish it had all 24 frets tho, i became acustomed to the full double octave neck on my old one, but its a sacrifice im willing to make for everything else thats amazing with this beauty.
I Named her after the moonstone pickguard

All around pics.

that hardy musicman bridge

the neck plate

the whole thing......and my toes

the head stock with that logo

now y dont you guys have one yet?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Aug 19, 2007,
Ok since no one has done a bass of the month since August (its November btw) i decided i should do one, since i'm always talking about my bass, and since everyone is always asking about schecter (for instance there have been three threads on them in the past few days)

SCHECTER STILLETO CUSTOM 5
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: 6 Bolt-on / 35”
BODY: Mahogany w/ Flamed Maple
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Multi-Laminate Maple & Walnut /Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Offset Dots
PICKUPS: EMG HZ
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Blend/Active 2-Band EQ (w/ selectable treble frequencies)
BRIDGE: S-Tek
TUNERS: Schecter
HARDWARE: Satin Gold
COLOR: Natural Satin

The Bass:

The Schecter Stilleto 5 is a great all around bass, with the 2 band EQ and the EMG-Hzs I'm able to dial in all kinds of tones, good for any style of music, I can even get a nice sounding slap tone. very versatile

yes i know i need to vacuum my carpet

The Playability:

Is amazing, the neck is so slim for a five string, and the neck itself fits like a glove. I know what you're thinking, what slim five string neck? Those strings must be unplayable, because they are so close together, well that isn't the case. The strings being close actually makes the bass easier to play i love that. The back of the neck is coated, which some people don't like, but i personally don't find a problem with it. The bass isn't very heavy, but it doesn't feel cheap either, its very comfortable to play standing or sitting. There is perfect access to all 24 of the frets, and I have never had any fret buzzing on any of them since i had it set up. which brings me to the Bridge

close string spacing is nice

THE NITTY GRITTY
The Bridge:
The S-Tek bridge, looks complicated, but is actually extremely easy to understand and works well. It gives the bass great sustain, and overall sounds great. Its very easy to change the intonation, and the action with those saddles, but there are also a few negatives to them. If you don't tighten up the black pieces after you set the action, theres a possibility that they, along with the whole gold saddle, will fall off if there is no string in place, although this would happen close to never, since the strings are only off the bass when they're being changed, and then its mostly on a flat surface. Also the other bad thing about the bridge is that when replacing the strings, you need to hold the string in place at the bottom, otherwise it has a tendency to fall out of place, and this can get difficult when putting on strings that require being carefully hand wound such as DRs

The Pickups:
As mentioned the EMG H-zs have a wonderful tone, and are very versatile when coupled with the 2 Band EQ. They have a wonderfully punchy sound thats good for anything from punk to jazz. Plus they look really nice on the bass itself.With the two band EQ you can actually hear the difference between the two pickups, and overall I like their positioning

The 5th String:

I've had this bass tuned both EADGC and BEADG, and I've liked it both ways, i felt that they've both come in handy in certain situations, and both have fitted my playing needs. From reviews I've read it says that the 35 in scale helps the B string from being too floppy and i find that for the most part this is true, while the string is still pretty floppy, its not nearly as bad, or have as muddy a tone as most 5ers i've played

The Construction:

This bass is built like a beast. I've had it for over a year, and the most i can say is wrong with it, is the small chip in the headstock i got when i smacked it into a cymbal pretty hard once at a gig. The front of the body doesn't scratch at all, even when using a pick (on occasion I've even used a metal pick and it still looks factory fresh) the same can't be said about the back, as it is slightly easier to scratch, as my back has a few nicks. The 6 bolt on neck is very nice as well, it give it almost the same sustain as a neck through because its fastened so well.
(Invalid img)

The Look:
Ok it may seem like i have been over gratifying this to an extreme extent, but that's going to seem like nothing when i'm done talking abut this bass visually. IMO this is the sexiest looking bass on the market. Don't get me wrong, i love the look of a white p bass with black pick guard, or that natural tone of a Warwick Thumb, but in my mind nothing compares the look of this bass. It has a two tone natural finish that just blows my mind every time i look at it. It has satin gold hardware, those EMG pickups which i mentioned look very nice. The S-Tek bridge, the offset dot inlays( i love these so much) a beautiful rosewood fretboard, neck with two mahogany racing stripes, and the fact that the body itself is almost impossible to scratch. Bottom Line this bass is the most beautiful bass i have ever seen in my life, i don't care what custom shop, or however many stringed bass you show me, nothing compares to this. Schecter's pictures don't do this bass justice, so i'll give you some of mine

More pics in next post

Cliff Notes:
I wrote a lot, so if you didn't read it all heres a summary
Pros:
Very comfortable
EMG Hzs
2 Band EQ
S-Tek Bridge
The Look

Cons:
Some people don't like the neck finishing
S-Tek Bridge (can be difficult when changing strings)
B string could be a little less floppy

Overall: I'd say this is an amazing bass especially for the price, and i would check it out, espcially if you've been looking for an upgrade
Last edited by Zar938 at Nov 8, 2007,

Technical Description
Finish: Black Open Pore Low Gloss
Body Shape: EW Body w/Cutaway
Neck: Mahogany
Top: Figured Ash Body
Rosette: Abalone Rosette
Tuners: Ibanez Chrome Die-Cast
Pickup: Fishman Sonicore Pickup
Electronics: Ibanez AEQ-SST Shape Shifter Preamp with Onboard Tuner
Outputs: Balanced 1/4" and XLR
Fretboard: Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard
Saddle: Ivorex II Nut and Saddle
Bridge Pins: Advantage
Strings: D'Addario® EXP
Scale: 34"

The story behind the bass:
Some may ask why would someone get a AEB? (acoustic-electric bass for you noobs) I've always like the sounds of acoustic from the first time I played a breedlove at GC. I love the mellow sound they provide and the convenience; such as when I feel like playing bass at my living room I don't have to drag my big a** amp. with me or I can just have it beside my bed at late nights when I can't go to bed and can't wake up the neighbors. Yes, it may not be as loud as a guitar but I didn't buy it because of that. I don't play in a band nor plan on playing in band. I just want to sit in my room and play my bass, not caring for the world. Also this may be the reason why I didn't get me a MIA J-bass. Stupid of me? Sometimes. So far I am in love with my AEB.

NOTE: The reason for the angled pictures,sepia, and b/w is so that you guys can see the wood detail on the bass. Sorry if it annoys you.

Playability: Ibanez is famous for it's thin necks, and this bass is no different. I feel that my hands are very confortable while holding and playing this bass. No stress what so ever. I feel that his bass can be used with any playing style. Rock, blues, and even slap and pop if you don't fear that you'll damage the bass. But sadly I will mention that a AEB is a novelty versus a neccesity. For instance I would not get it if it was my first bass, or if it was my only bass. This bass can be seen as having NOS in your car. You might not use it everyday, but when you do you will be glad you did.

Sound: The sound of the bass is quite a deep and mellow sound. A sound in which I think can't be heard, nor produced with a amp. Now while it is in a amp, the sound is very good. With active electronics the tone is amazingly refreshing. Not a shoe box and some string, the bass deff. some soul in it. But the bass could sound better with new strings. God knows how long this bass has had the same string. But that's not the bass's fault, it's my own.

Construction: The bass is very sturdy feeling. It's not a tank or anything, but it's not balsa wood either. It also seems well built-there are no glue marks or joints that I can see, nor was this bass made in a late Friday. The quality is there once you hold it. The tuners lock smooth and turn smooth. It is a joy to play.

Look:It is also a very unique instrument, with the open pore paint, and its satin-like touch. There are no dot inlays, only a "cyclone" in the 10-14th fret and side-dot inlays to guide you. And and the reach to the strings is a decent one. Not that bad at all, and if tilted there is no noticed differnece. One complaint though, if you have sweaty hands the sweat just leaves a wet mark on the matte finish and it dosen't "evaporate" it just stays there until whipped off.

A video review is going to be accompanied with this written reviewed as soon as I gain excess to my cousins guitar, so that the sounds can be compared, but its not louder. Can it be heard? I'll let you guys decide that once the video gets posted. Overall though it is a very good bass. I'm not a true musician, I'm just a hobbiest so I really dont mind that it's not louder than a acoustic guitar, I don't plan on jamming out with other people. A problem that I see with AEB is that certain companies just make one so they have a niche in that market. They dont care if it sounds good or bad, they just want a AEB to say they have one. And the quality is so bad that it scares bassists away thinking that all AEBs are evil beings. Also I believe that AEBs dont have the "soul" a acoustic guitar does. Since an AEB is recently "new" I dont expect it to have a soul like an AEG. I feel is that it's our jobs as bassists to give the AEB a soul. Not neglect it as if it was a shameful offspring, we should make it our own. Take a second look, and at least try to revive our acoustic friends. And that's how I leave off. I'm going resuscitate a over-looked acoustic in hope that you guys will do the same.

Additional Photos:

Yea these are quite nice, deff. check them Ibanex EW series. it seems to be a "A" brace maybe It's deff no "X". I can do a sound clip but no guitar. I'm wating for my cousin to come back from Florida, but until then just the bass itself. Any body want to see any specific pictures? I can't do inside the bass itself because my cam. is too big to fit in the sound hole. I need to get this stickyed.
It appears to intonate well. It stays in tune a while too. But I like to tune it every time I take it out of the bag.
^ Thanks man. i have more artsy shots if you want. Angle shots are really pretty. And I'm working on the sound clips. I;m trying to have a nice finished progress.
UPDATE- Ive made a vid. of how the bass sounds next to a guitar. Sorry for the musicanship though, my cuz is a very limited guitar player and his playing is rather limited. Skip around if you guys want. Also thanks Zar, your BOTM was a good guideline to a good review. I apreciate the nice words. I also have new pictures of how it looks like next to the guitar. Sexy Time:
The link to the vid, enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4pKqOCivI

Last edited by bxcarracer at Jan 20, 2008,
This is on My schools bass

its a 1972 Fender Precision bass

20 frets
maple neck/fretboard
Clear, translucent, natural finish (what ever you call it)
originally had a black pickguard
now has a white pearloid one

this is my uncle playing it when he was in high school in like 75 or something round there

Hardware
it has all of its original hardware....not in good condition
the original pickups are still in it (one single coil split pickup)
but the adjustment screws are very rusted and can not be moved leaving the p ups very crooked

Playability
amazing..... iv' never ever played a bass that plays better. over the years the fretse have been so chewed down there almost flush with the fretboard....therefore you can have very very low action....but this bass is played by lie 10 ppl a day and is always being played....so the strings are very dead all the time.

Tone
the tone is that classic precision tone......i dont really like it unless there is lots of treble and a pick...

this is me playing it in mid 07

The sad part
This bass is so incredibly mistreated. There are only like 5 kids who treat it properly.
even the guitar teacher doesn't really care....he does the whole, its just a bass thing.
the finish is chipped and chewed away all over the place, right down to the wood in some places...it has like a grime on it that i have tried to and can not get off... in its life im willing to bet it has been dropped well over 30 times... (ive seen it dropped 7 times). 4 years ago it was totally out of commision....someone did something to it that broke both of the rods going from the knobs to the pots (they are now made of plastic)...all the wiring was somehow torn out....now been all re soldered not replaced....and 3 of the tuning pegs jiggle making a very annoying rattling when you play..

but all in all this is still a very solid bass its just in rough shape

more pics to come

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....