Im about to get a new amp head the only problem is I don't have a cab for it or the money for one. What Im wondering is if I get a speaker from a stereo system that can handle the wattage from the head can I use that as a cab?
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
yes... same ohmage needed though
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
No, if you play too loud, the speaker will shatter, even if it is within the wattage of the amp. Guitar speakers and stereo speakers are made differently, guitar speakers are made to work in a certain frequency spectrum while stereo speakers are made to work in a broader frequency spectrum. Because of this, it takes less wattage of the frequency range electric guitars produce to ruin a stereo speaker. For the same reason, you shouldn't run a bass through a guitar amp, because the speakers will break.

In short, it won't work.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
But would it work if the speakers were rated for 200W and the amp is 60W?
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by avenged_7_fold
Im about to get a new amp head the only problem is I don't have a cab for it or the money for one. What Im wondering is if I get a speaker from a stereo system that can handle the wattage from the head can I use that as a cab?
Can you? Yes.

Should you? Maybe not.

If you just want something to play through for practice in your bedroom, it will make sound, but it probably won't sound too great.

Will you destroy the "200 watt" speaker with a 60 watt amp? Very possible.
Keep the volume at modest levels, and you'll be okay.
Otherwise, expect the worst.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i guess
its okay to use the amp head with a stereo as long as the volume is too low
Okay best case scenario it works alls good. Get it wrong and the speakers will be the least of your problems cos if you get the speaker hookup wrong you can even blow up your head.

Odds are those 200Watt speakers are rated in pmpo not rms like amps are and are really around 30w rms if that plus odds are they wont have an ohmage rating anywhere on em.

Personally I wouldn't do it, just not worth the risk.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso