I've been looking at one for a while, and tried to read up on it but I don't get it
is it a tube amp or solid state? and whats a hybrid amp?
Its both... its a hybrid amp. It has a tube in it and it works with solid state. The valvetronix XL's are some of the best hybrids ive heard.
Quote by paranormal5150
Its both... its a hybrid amp. It has a tube in it and it works with solid state. The valvetronix XL's are some of the best hybrids ive heard.

LOTS of people on here say that the XL versions suck at the high-gain stuff they were made for as they get muddy wayy too fast.
Hybrid just means one preamp (i think preamp...) valve- it's more of a marketing scam than anything else
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
No ive tried both.... the xl blew me away. The other didnt. But i dont know about the smaller XL's. It was a 100 watt.
There is a preamptube in the poweramplifikation chain. Although no one seems to know exactly how it works, but from my understandings it's different from the valvestate technology.
Quote by paranormal5150
No ive tried both.... the xl blew me away. The other didnt. But i dont know about the smaller XL's. It was a 100 watt.

I have the complete opposite opinion to you, to my ears, the XL were horrible. No usable clean tones at all, and about 3 usable distorted channels, the rest were over saturated and lifeless. The standard vox does metal well enough and does everything else 30432089 times better.

Anyway, the valve in the amp does very very little for the sound, it runs pretty cold, and pretty much all of the tone for the amp just comes from the preamp itself.
^Yeah, my main issue with the XL were that the modells didn't have any "personality", they almost sounded the same. Which certainly wasn't the case on my old AD.
Most hybrid amps use a tube in the preamp and SS in the power amp. The Valvetronix doesn't use a tube in the preamp as a gain stage. It uses the tube to model a power amp. A lot of people like them. If you want an all-in-one solution to FX and modeling then they are pretty good. But if you want to use pedals or a multiFX then you are better getting something else.
Quote by bdragob
so won't really have to replace the tube?

Any tube will wear out eventually, but judging on how cool that tube runs, u probably won't have to replace it for a LONG time. You will probably have moved on to a better amp by the time the tube will need changing.
Quote by bdragob
I've been looking at one for a while, and tried to read up on it but I don't get it
is it a tube amp or solid state? and whats a hybrid amp?

Two very common (and fairly accurate) answers:

1. A marketing gimmick.

2. Some of the best-sounding SS amps on the market, well outfitted with a plethora of effects and ideal for guitarists who are still trying to find their sound.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.