my church band asked me to help them run the sound board for services and for when they practice during the week, but i have zero experience with this.

any tips or tricks that i should keep in mind

thanks
put all setting on full, unhook all the band microphones, attach an mp3 player loaded with black metal

Job Done.
Quote by freedoms_stain
put all setting on full, unhook all the band microphones, attach an mp3 player loaded with black metal

Job Done.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Quote by freedoms_stain

Job Done.
How funny...
Its not very hard for church. Are they expecting you to set everything up too? If they arent, its just a matter of making sure the gain on each individual mic isnt too high, as that'll feed back, and then keeping everything hearable. Just dont push any of the individual volumes above 0 (or much above, anyway) and you should be fine. If you need to adjust the soundlevel then use you're master control. If you need to adjust how well you can hear someone, adjust they're particular volume.

Beyond that eventually you'll learn that mids- How far the sound travels, Lows-How much body the sound has and Hi- The definition of the sound. These are useful for fixing peoples voices, because chances are you dont have super awesome singers.

Thats a simplified version. If they have frequency adjusters under them (IE mid freq. or something would be the label) then dont touch those, keep them centered, or down a little. These can feedback when pushed too high, and arent really needed for a church service.

Make sure the leader of the group is the main one that can be heard, or the leader of that particular song. No one else really matters as long as you can tell they're doing something.

~It sounds hard, but its really simple. good place to start too for any kind of sound things.

If they expect you to set up everything, then you need to have them show you what you need to do for they're system a few times, not just once. It takes awhile to get the hang of where everything needs to go.

Other then that, congrats, Its fun to do. Just learn to ignore people that think they know how it could be set up better despite never having touched a soundboard before. The nod an smile works wounders for this. You'll get blamed for the bands mistakes, and the band will get congradulated for sounding awesome when you did you're job right, so its a thankless job.

Meh, at least the band will like you

Also, most bands are moniter *****s.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Feb 10, 2008,