Hey guys, I'm in a predicament here, have been trying forever to fix this thing, and been all over the internet looking for people who had the same problem with this pedal, but everyone gives it a 10/10 for reliability.

Here is the problem, A Couple weeks ago, i bought a BOSS Metal Zone MT-2 from Guitar Center. It was their last one. I brought it home, it worked for a few days. I woke up, went to play guitar (i make sure and unplug and turn everything off at night) and i turned on my amp. I got the clean sound, and then turned on the pedal, and the sound stopped, as if nothing was plugged in, i thought something disconnected. I turned off the pedal and the sound went back to my clean tone, perfectly though the amp. So i figured it was the pedal and the volume was down, so for around an hour i worked with the pedal knobs, and my amp levels to no avail. It just stopped working so i returned it to Guitar Center and had to order one off line. A Boss pedal has never let me down before, so i thought it was a fluke.

My order from online comes in a box, brand new, pedal smells new, wrapped up and all that. Plug it in, and it does the same thing. I put my ears up to the amp and here a tiny tiny bit of distortion or fuzz or feedback through the amp that i don't here when the pedal was off. I just didn't get it, everyone said these pedals are reliable and that noone has had a problem with them. So i spend an hour messing with it, take it to my bro's bass amp in a different room, and work it with no other pedals, just the amp, to the metal zone, to my guitar, and it just doesn't work. I mess with the battery (even though it was n ew) plugged it in to a 9V power adapter that i have for all my 16 pedals (i know i have a lot, and not one has not worked) it just isn't working. When it is off everything is good, when i turn it on, no sound goes through at all, even with every volume knob on my amp turned to max, and on the pedal turned to max. The pedal just doesn't work, and i don't get it. 2 pedals don't just do that.

Anyway, i know it is a long post, and i spent a long tim eon the internet looking for answers but noone had a problem with it. Boss help line is closed on weekends, and it was my B-day recently and the pedal was part of the new board my dad made and it isn't workin' again.

If anyone has had this problem with this or any other pedal, please help. I really don't want to have to ship this back and get another new pedal, i'm thinkin' something with the wireless stuff in the room make the pedal malfunction, or somethin' i am missing, that was on with the first pedal for the first couple of days before it just stopped working.

Anyway, help is appreciated. Sorry about the long post. It is a great pedal when it works, it just sucks now.

If you need a better description or to ask questions just say so. Thanks.
rIp
Your sig REALLY REALLY gets me depressed, like, theres someone who is proud of posting in threads on a guitar forum....
Diezel, Motherfucker
Wow that's 577 words

But anyway, there's always the batteries which makes the engaging it and silence thing more likely, or something in there's fried
Just return it and get a metal muff.
Anyways, go to Gear building and customizing, they may have some help there for you.
Check for a loose connection inside. When I was modding my DOD YJM308, I ran into a problem where I had no sound. I was touching random connections (not safe, I know, but I didn't get shocked or anything, I had it on battery), and I found out that two soldering connections (about half an inch away from eachother) just needed a jumper going from the connections. Fixed the problem.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Your sig REALLY REALLY gets me depressed, like, theres someone who is proud of posting in threads on a guitar forum....

hey man, i'm sorry. I'm usually in the modern rock community on this site, but i check around the electric guitar and pedal parts of the forum to see if there is anything i can pick up.

Maybe it's your leads or amp/guitar jack sockets

well all my other 15 pedals (3 wah's) work, 12 boss pedals, some i bought used out of box, never had a problem wit a boss pedal.

Wow that's 577 words

But anyway, there's always the batteries which makes the engaging it and silence thing more likely, or something in there's fried

yea i know, long post . i'm just really frustrated and wanted to make sure i got all it out, so anyone who has had this problem would know what i'm talking about. And it came with a new battery, didn't work, then i plugged it in my power adapter that i use for my boss pedals, and it didin't work, then i took out the battery and plugged it in, and it didn't work. its wierd cuz the one i got from guitar center at first worked for a couple days, and i really do love the pedal. Then it just stopped working.

I did initially think somethin' fried with the first one, but the fact that it happened with 2 pedals in a row, both new, is just weird, considering it hasn't happened to any other pedal of mine.

Just return it and get a metal muff.

heh.

Anyways, go to Gear building and customizing, they may have some help there for you.
Check for a loose connection inside. When I was modding my DOD YJM308, I ran into a problem where I had no sound. I was touching random connections (not safe, I know, but I didn't get shocked or anything, I had it on battery), and I found out that two soldering connections (about half an inch away from eachother) just needed a jumper going from the connections. Fixed the problem.

yea, i'm thinkin' it has somethin' to do with the inside, but like i said, i find it weird that 2 of the same pedals in a row had the same thing wrong. I'm thinkin' maybe i'm doing something wrong? and yea, i will go try over there also, thanks a lot man.

I really appreciate the help guys, sorry about the long post. If anyone knows the exact problem or has had a similar problem with a boss pedal (doesn't have to be the MT-2 in particular) let me know!
rIp
Well, at least pop in a new battery to at least rule that out; then contact both Boss and GC

2 pedals is rather dodgy
^ yea, let me do that now. thanks good idea, to make sure a rule that out. But pluggin' in a power adapter to it would rule it out right? cuz i have power adapters that i plug into all my pedals (12 of them are boss) and it works.

Let me switch batteries though.
rIp
didn't work. I turned my amp to 10 (max) then every knob on the pedal to max, and i heard a little feedback on the amp, and could almost here myself play the notes, it was really fuzzed out... the pedal is just messed up.

I am wondering if opening the pedal voids the warranty. The box said 5 year warrenty so... wanna see if something is messed up.
rIp
Quote by MrJayremmie
didn't work. I turned my amp to 10 (max) then every knob on the pedal to max, and i heard a little feedback on the amp, and could almost here myself play the notes, it was really fuzzed out... the pedal is just messed up.

I am wondering if opening the pedal voids the warranty. The box said 5 year warrenty so... wanna see if something is messed up.

Hrm it sounds like somethings dead in it then
Contact boss and redeem the warrantee or contact where you bought it from; it was new right?
maybe you accidently turned the level all the way down on the mt-2

it happenz and you feel retarded when you discover that
maybe you accidently turned the level all the way down on the mt-2

it happenz and you feel retarded when you discover that

yea, i thought that was what i did, but all the knobs are turned to the max, the volume on my amp is turned to the max on both channels. I hear noise, and here the pedal a bit, i can sorta here my notes being played, turned on the wah, and heard a tiny bit, but even when i have other pedals on, then i hit the MT2, it just stops making noise, then i turn it off and it is back. I thought it was the volume also.

Hrm it sounds like somethings dead in it then
Contact boss and redeem the warrantee or contact where you bought it from; it was new right?

yea it was new. I just don't get why it happened to 2 new ones in a row. Sounds like somethin' is dead, but why to 2 different new ones? maybe it doesn't go with somethin' in my pedal board, or amp, even though the first one i got worked for a couple days before stopping. Maybe something on my board, or connecters makes it short out. Either way, i'm gonna return it, get a new one, and if that doesn't work, i'm just gettin' my money back and gettin' another pedal. I really like this one, but it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone has had this problem before and knows what to do or how to describe it better or what is wrong, plz post! would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rIp
Hrm, what do you have before it on your board? If it's in front of something with a very high output it could be something in there has fried; and checking your gear list (a suprising ammount of Boss gear you have) it could be one of them

And aye return it for the Metal Muff if you're still after a disortion pedal in that price bracket (even though it's been the noobs answer in here)
^ heh, yea i think it has fried. My setup is weird, cuz i haven't really payed any attention to it, but let me list it, that might actually solve a lot of my problems, cuz if i return it for a new one, i'm gonna need to place it in a different place and not fry the 3rd one in a row.

OK, Amp - Fender FM 212R (it has a footswitch, PRE OUT and PWR IN inputs i don't use, idk if i should, no idea what they are)

From the amp goes into a BOSS DD-6 Delay then to BOSS Digital Reverb RV-5 then to a BOSS Noise Supresser NS-2. From the send jack from my noise supresser i go to a BOSS Dynamic Wah AW-3 (auto wah) to a BOSS Super Shifter PS-5 to a BOSS Super Chorus CH-1 to a BOSS Compression Sustainer CS-3 to a BOSS Equalizer GE-7 to a BOSS Super Overdrive SD-1 to a BOSS Distortion DS-1 to a BOSS distortion DS-2 to THE BOSS METAL ZONE to my BOSS Blues Driver BD-2 to my Dunlop Crybaby Wah to my Ibanez` WH-10 to myDigitech JHE then that wraps around into the return jack in my noise supresser. The input jack of my noise supresser is where i connect my guitar in.

BOSS DD-6 >> BOSS RV-5 (Reverb) >> BOSS NS-2 (noise supresser output) >> BOSS AW-3 (auto wah from the Noise supresser send jack) >> BOSS PS-5 (Super Shifter) >> BOSS CH-1 (chorus) >> BOSS CS-3 (Comp. Sustainer) >> BOSS GE-7 (EQ) >> BOSS SD-1 (Overdrive) >> BOSS DS-1 >> BOSS DS-2 >> BOSS MT-2 METAL ZONE >> BOSS BD-2 (Blues) >> Crybaby >> WH-10 Wah >> DIGITECH JHE (Jimi Hendrix Experience Expression pedal) >> BOSS NS-2 (Noise Supresser Return Jack)

2nd one is the simplified version, i know it is a lot to handle, lol. I also understand that probably noone will either get it, or know how to help, but i am throwin' this out there with a prayer that maybe someone will find it and fine me a part that should go after/before each other.

Anyways, if anyone has any more questions plz ask, any ideas, plz say, and if it has ever happened to any of your guys' BOSS pedals, plz let me know what you found out about it!

I will call customer service tomarrow, and probably return it, i just don't want to short out my 3rd one, cuz the pedal is badass!

Anyway, thanks guys, sorry for the bump and for the long post. Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are a great bunch of ppl!

Thanks.
rIp
You have alot more overdrive/distortion pedals than you need IMO.

You are probably loosing some of the signal from your guitar, you should get a signal booster.
^ yea, you are right, i'm gonna be gettin' rid of my DS-1 asap for a Phaser, as soon as i get my next paycheck.

Anyway, thanks for allt he input guys, someone had the same problem as me and told me what to do.

For anyone who has had the same problem, you pretty much need to get the MT-2 its own power supply, it can't share it with others on the 5 split power supply.

Anyway, thanks guys for everything! really appreciate the help i got.
rIp
Yeah that is a hell of a lot of OD; plus put your noise supressor at the end of the chain next to the amp, so it cuts out the noise from pedals etc

It does look like you may have fried it by putting in a higher signal than it can handle; although i've not heard of this multiplier effect being that much of a problem
It could be because the noise supressor is at the front of the chain - for it do have any noticeable effect you'll have to have it turned up way higher than usual and all it's actually doing is choking your actual guitar signal....with it being at the front there isn't really any "noise" to be supressed!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
wait, so even if i have all the pedals in the return jack of the noise supresser, and it is goin' around my whole board, having every pedal all the way to my last wah, and then it plugs into the send jack. Doesn't that count as having all the pedals hooked up into the noise supresser?

If not, what do you suggest i do, i want the best sound i can possibly get, even if it ruins my pedal board cuz i have them placed perfectly, i'd rather care about sound right now. The manual said the Delay and Reverb effects must go between the amp and the NS, so i have amp, then delay, then reverb, then the NS, then my guitar afte rthe supresser. THen the manual said to loop/chain all the pedals through the return jack all the way around and end in the send jack, so i have the NS goin' from the return jack, then 13 pedals all connected to each other, all the way to the last wah, then i have a long cable from that goin' into the send jack of the NS, so i figured it didn't matter where the supresser was placed as long as all the pedals go through it.

If i'm wrong could anyone help me out? i've been readin' up on the NS for a while, but am really not familiar with it. Help would be appreciated.

And if anyone had the problem with the MT-2, if you could let me know what happened and how you fixed it, that woul dbe awesome. Would love for more opinions because i have a while before the 30 days is up to return, so i can try stuff out, even though it sounded like the guy who told me what happened earlier was right on the money.

Thanks guys, help is appreciated and welcome!

BTW, the UG community out of the Modern Rock section is awesome! ya'll are badass and very helpful and knowledgable.
rIp
The loop on the NS-2 is only really for particularly noisy effects, you're not supposed to run your entire pedalboard through it. It should be at the very end of your FX chain - if you have any pedals that are particularly noisy like an old phaser or an Echoplex then you'd put those in the loop.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ wow, got it. Thanks a bunch dude, will do that. Good lookin' out. I'm reallyl really really not understanding the Noise Supresser, but i think i get it more thanks to you.

So pretty much just use it more like a regular pedal, at the end of my chain, and then some of the noisier pedals i should look through the send and return jack.

All my pedals are new, do you think i should loop my distortions/OD's through there?
rIp
I'd simply stick the NS2 at the end of the chain and see how it performs, but maybe experiment with different effects in the loop to see how that affects the overall tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

take ur mt-2 back and get a metal muff or vox bulldog. the mt-2 sounds soo thin and tinny its not worth nothering with.
your problem sound alot like a problem I have with my ****ty switchcraft on my guitar, it sometimes loses it's signal and I have to flip it up and down until I get sound again. bad soldering job inside I guess. but as you say, it seems unlikely to happen in two pedals, of which one is brand new.
Quit sayin he should get something else and concentrate on the issue in hand here guys!

Might be you just got really unlucky and got 2 duff ones in a row... I've never had any issues with mine :S

Try it on its own with a diff amp/guitar if possible. Might be a problem somewere else in your effects loop/guitar/amp.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Have you tried the MT-2 by simply going guitar - mt-2 - amp ?
HAve you checked all your cables are working properly? Have you tried it both with a new battery in it and using the power supply? I've tried using random power supplies (all seeming to fit the specs) and the problem you described occurs. So I bought a rechargeable NI MH 9 volt.
You could just be losing signal over the massive number of effects. Try running through them all seperately if you can, just for testing purposes.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo