I have an old P-bass that my friend gave me a while back. I'm not much into playing bass but I'm sorta learning on this one. (I already play the guitar)

So I did some research on this thing to see just how old it is and I figured out that it was made in 1978 or 1979.

I looked on the fender website and my serial number matched that time period. (S9*****).

So I started to look online to find one that looked similar to mine. Now mines not in the best of shape (a few spots on the body are nicked and paint is missing in some tiny spots.) but I can't seem to find a match. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have a pick guard on it (mine doesn't have one, nor does it have the holes for one to be installed). I wanna see how much this bass might be worth though because if it's enough, then I just may sell it and buy me a new guitar.

I haven't actually showed it to any professional or anything. I've never taken it to a music shop to be looked at either. But I know that when I got the thing, the strings were old as hell (maybe even original? lol) and when I got it, I went to tune it up and the G string broke instantly, and so this thing just sat around in my room for a good 5 or 6 months before I got around to getting new strings for it.

So yeah,
Any ideas?
I'll get on the pics asap. Gotta find batterys for my cam.

But yeah I already talked to him about it. He said he's cool with it, seeing as he doesn't play, nor does he plan to.
The thing with Fender serial numbers with S8 or S9, it could even go up to 1983. I had an S9 Fender Precision, and when I looked at the neck heel, it was clearly an '83.

Fender was going through a lot of rough patches at that time, and just before the FMIC takeover, a lot of old parts were reused. My S9 Precision had the most weirdest neck profile I have ever seen on a bass, and most likely thrown out, but re-used and sold on.

The only good way to date a Fender of this era is to take off the neck and look at the heel. It is a simple operation, but if you feel a bit nervous doing it, just take it in to your nearest luthier to do it for tou.
I'm going to be honest - I'm not 100% sure (or a fan of CBS era Fenders), but if my history is right, 78 and 79 were the dark ages of Fender. That's when their quality control was at it's worst ever and many of the instruments were just horrible playing and unreliable - especially those long-necked basses with 3 neck bolts and microtilt. The quality was so bad a group of investors bought Fender off of CBS to salvage it's reputation and start building better instruments again.

However, I could have my timelines wrong. This bass COULD possibly be a Fullerton bass, which are commanding a great price - however, I thought Fullerton basses started in '82.

Either way, there's a chance it's either a Fullerton, a decent dark-age Fender, or an awful dark-age Fender.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Here are some pictures.

I think I will take my chances and take the neck off to see the date. I'll get back to you on that in a little while.
Quote by thefitz
I'm going to be honest - I'm not 100% sure (or a fan of CBS era Fenders), but if my history is right, 78 and 79 were the dark ages of Fender. That's when their quality control was at it's worst ever and many of the instruments were just horrible playing and unreliable - especially those long-necked basses with 3 neck bolts and microtilt. The quality was so bad a group of investors bought Fender off of CBS to salvage it's reputation and start building better instruments again.

However, I could have my timelines wrong. This bass COULD possibly be a Fullerton bass, which are commanding a great price - however, I thought Fullerton basses started in '82.

Either way, there's a chance it's either a Fullerton, a decent dark-age Fender, or an awful dark-age Fender.

1978-1979 was pretty much crap, though a few people swear by basses from this era. I had an old '79, and QC was awful (sounded fantastic though).

I believe the only decent Fullerton basses at the beginning of FMIC's takeover in 1982 were the Custom Shop re-issues. 1982/83 was pretty much still a transition period of Fender, and miracles can't happen overnight I guess. My old '83 certainly wasn't of a good enough QC. Bad neck pocket, too heavy, weird neck profile... basically junk. But the Fullerton re-issues are starting to command high prices.

But people will still pay over the odd prices for 1976-82 basses, because of the stylings, etc. Though I personally wouldn't after bad experiences.
Quote by 67shelbyguy
Here are some pictures.

I think I will take my chances and take the neck off to see the date. I'll get back to you on that in a little while.

Ahh... Does it say this was made in Japan?

I think this might be an early Squire Japan... highly reputable basses.

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/index.htm

I don't know too much about them, but I've provided you a link so you can do more reading up. Like I said, they are highly regarded and can fetch around £500 in Britain.
It's a squier... aw MAN. I was going to ask just how much you'd sell it for :P: But honestly, my guesstimation would give you a price of about $500 MAX.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
It says under the Fender logo that it's made in Korea.... but yeah so I took the neck off and on the very bottom it says 90 5 03.

Whats this mean??
Quote by 67shelbyguy
It says under the Fender logo that it's made in Korea.... but yeah so I took the neck off and on the very bottom it says 90 5 03.

Whats this mean??

I'm pretty sure that means it was made on May 3, 1990.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

May 5th, 1990 is when the bass was made. It's a Korean Squier - well after the valueable MIJ basses. What you have there is fun, but not worth more than a few hundred Dollars.

HINT: if it says SQUIER in big letters and Fender in small letters, preceded by BY, it's a Squier.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm... well then I guess it's not as old as I was told. But I still don't get why I've never seen one like it, without the pick guard and everything.

But yeah sorry I forgot to mentchain (sp?) that it's a Squier...
Drats... I got too excited. Yeah, if it was made in Korea it is your regular Squire. But it does look interesting though.

Sorry if I may have got your hopes up 67shelbyguy.
But one thing that I don't get is why does the serial number begin with the S9, but that doesn't match up with the korean dates at all....
Yeah, in the late 80s and early 90s, pickguards were for old hacks. That was the sign o' the times. Most non-pickguard Fenders without fancy tops are from, say, 1985 to 1993.

Quote by 67shelbyguy
But one thing that I don't get is why does the serial number begin with the S9, but that doesn't match up with the korean dates at all....

Those are probably Korean FENDER serial numbers you're looking at, not Squier.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i was completly sucked in by this thread. i was ready to launch a nuclear attack,
"meh" my friend just gave me a vinatge bass, i think i'll sell it for a new epiphone guitar, "meh". and then i saw Squier! lol
i say, if you don't want to play it, give it to someone who does. didn't cost you nothin', so pass it on!

Edit: it is a damn nice looking bass. btw
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i was completly sucked in by this thread. i was ready to launch a nuclear attack,
"meh" my friend just gave me a vinatge bass, i think i'll sell it for a new epiphone guitar, "meh". and then i saw Squier! lol
i say, if you don't want to play it, give it to someone who does. didn't cost you nothin', so pass it on!

I'm with you, man. I'm gladly taking donations, by the way
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Well see the thing is, I wanted to learn bass, shortly after I started playing guitar. But then eventually I got way better at guitar and so I decided that I would just stick with it instead of playing the bass. But I'd like to sell it to buy me a better guitar then what I play on now.

Sorry for getting your hopes up guys. I could have sworn that I put the Squier name on my original post, but apparently not.

This bass has just always confused me... just looks odd to me. thats not to say that I don't like it though. It has a semi-vintage look to it, which is what I like. If it was worth way more then what I thought it was though, then I would have gotten it restored maybe, then sold it.

Edit

This one looks exactly like mine, except that it has a pick guard, and different style tuner knobs. Everything else, yes even the serial number is similar to mine.

One of the small differences I also noticed is that the "II" in the Squier logo is smaller then the logo itself. But on mine it is proportional to the Squier logo.
Last edited by 67shelbyguy at Feb 10, 2008,
Yeah, that could have been a later 90's model, when grunge made vintage looks have a comeback. Yours is trademark late-80s-early-90s.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Cody_Grey102