My stuff is nothing flashy but some of it is a bit quirky...anyway after being a member here for three years this week I figured I ought to do a UROTM at last so here you go...

Ashdown MAG400 410. It's pretty beat up and the speakers are soon to be replaced by Trace Elliot spec Celestions but I love the sound. Some of you would hate it since it really colours the tone, but the MAG sound is what I fell in love with. The cab is ported at the front unlike modern Ashdowns. It's from the first series of MAGs and was recently serviced by Ashdown - apparently it'll go up to 490W before any clipping. I love it.

It's very hard to photograph this bass - it looks black in most light but the blue tint looks really stunning at certain angles. For comparison there's the same pic without flash here . It's an Ibanez ATK400. I chose this one over other ATK models because of the J pickup, the 24 frets, the lighter body and that unique finish. I'm not a big fan of slap but this bass always makes me have a go! There's some great variety in the pickup selection and the 3 band EQ is a lot more powerful than some. I believe it's the same preamp as the SRs. It's the only instrument with a maple fretboard I own so it's good to get that brighter, snappier tone. Also apart from my starter bass it's the only one with a single coil pickup.

Mania VTB-5 or something...not sure on the exact model name. I read a review of these in some mag a while back and it was a pretty glowing review, and when on a drunken binge in Bath I came across this one I couldn't put it down. It was a bit overpriced, but I had to have it there and then! It's my only neck-through instrument. The two band pre-amp is a little noisy when you turn the treble right up but it's decent enough (I'll replace it some time though). It's one of my most mellow sounding basses but it sounds great with effects.

Ibanez AGB140. You can only get one sound out of this bass (they used the wrong capacitor on the passive tone control, but you try soldering through the f-holes!) but it's a huge, rich sound with so much midrange it's the perfect combination with my Ashdown. This bass gets the most playing time by far. When I bought it I was after a Fender P but after playing loads and loads I couldn't find one that felt right so I tried a load of other basses and fell in love with this one. I saved up the pennies and eventually bought it. It's got it's faults but I can't see me ever selling it.

My starter bass - Tenson branded P/J. The pickups aren't great and the action is pretty high (the neck is funked tbh) but at the time I just wanted to look like Nick Oliveri and it was good enough to get my technique down. It's played a few parties and served me well - I passed it on to my sister but she's more into her 1970s Kay acoustic. Ah well!

Starter bass amp - Coxx branded 15W. Still does the job when I'm jamming somewhere and can't move my Ashdown. Came in pretty handy for my A2 physics coursework when I made an EQ!

I've left out my Yamaha keyboard and SG clone for obvious reasons. I've also got a 1982 Aria overdrive pedal (next to nothing on Ebay, turned out to be an exact tubescreamer clone so sucks for bass except as a boost) and a Danelectro distortion pedal which sounds like a cheap Muff.

Group shot:

Questions, comments or photo requests...go ahead
Very nice setup you've got, I've been looking at the ATKs recently, I wish they still did them with 2 pickups and that awesome finish!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm really liking the look of that Ibanez AGB140! Do you have any sound clips or anything?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I shall see if I have any soundclips recorded before I funked my laptop sound card...you may be in luck
Quote by indie-bassist
Very nice setup you've got, I've been looking at the ATKs recently, I wish they still did them with 2 pickups and that awesome finish!

Since the ATK was re-issued the price on these has gone right down - keep your eye out on ebay and you could have your own 400 at a bargain price! When I heard Ibanez were re-issuing I held off on buying one until prices dropped. I bought it while drunkenly ebaying (really not wise) but I don't regret it. My sister's boyfriend at the time had his eye on the same one so I had to persuade him not to bid!
Last edited by smb at Feb 10, 2008,
Boyce, the AGB140 is quite nice, I never knew Ibanez put something like that out. Overall, a good UROTM!
Knowing you I'm not sure you'd like it Bales - it's warm and mushy...I think you're more of a guy that wants an amp that takes the sound of your bass exactly and makes it loud...could be wrong though. The MAG makes much more of a difference to tone than the instrument plugged in to it.
Pretty impresive variety of basses and I third the notion of that AGB 140 looking really interesting. I was looking at them online alot about a year ago, but sadly have never gotten to try one out. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous.

Hope there are sound clips to follow. You mentioned the few guitar effects pedals that really didn't work well with bass. Do you have a preference for a more direct sound without effects, or just don't happen to have any in use currently?
The ATK400 looks gorgoues, I mean, not the bass I'd play, because of the neck, but downright sexy to look at, that finish is quite similair to one you can get in certain Sandbergs, but it's darker and richer....Man, I just keep staring at it...and the Ibanez is pretty hot too...and the Mania aint exactly ugly.... nice set up chap, very nice
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Very Nice Bass's dude, i have to say i like the 5 string and the maple finger board.

Great UROTM

PS: Nice Ashdown!
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by dullsilver_mike
You mentioned the few guitar effects pedals that really didn't work well with bass. Do you have a preference for a more direct sound without effects, or just don't happen to have any in use currently?

I basically never use effects though it's nice to have distortion for if you want it! I'm looking for a wah pedal at the moment though. The bassists I aim to sound most like don't use effects so I've never really felt a want. I wouldn't mind a DFA79 sound but which bass would I use? They're all totally different sounding to Jesse's Ric.
I'm glad this is appreciated - thanks for the nice comments guys!

Tam: they only do these in a shortscale version now - these 34" ones were only made for a year or two. It's not exactly an old Guild but I am very attached to it. It's getting flatwounds soon I think...for the real old-school sound.

Bales: :P try one and you'll want one haha

Skippy: the neck is one of it's best features! Great solid feel without the stupid shape of Warwick (it's my thread...I can slag Warwick if I want to!) I presume you've got a SR or something similar?

Everyone else: thanks for reading and taking the time to comment...keep 'em coming
Hahaha, not an SR, no, I own a Milestone and a reissue Mustang

go ahead people, mock!!

hehehe, I just can't deal with P-style/chunky/wide necks, I have little hands, but its more than that, they just feel uncomfortable, it's quite irritating, becuase so many basses I like the sound of I really struggle to play, I think I'll buy one at a point and force myself to get used to it!

I do love the SR necks though
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
i would kill for a Ibanez AGB140! how do you like it?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
i would kill for a Ibanez AGB140! how do you like it?

I did kill for it:

I love it - it's a tonal beast. More midrange than you can shake a large stick at.
I gotta ask, does that semi-hollow balance well? Because even short scale semi-hollows tend to dive. Or is that the angle you typically play it at?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I gotta ask, does that semi-hollow balance well? Because even short scale semi-hollows tend to dive. Or is that the angle you typically play it at?

Haha no typically I don't play it at that angle or while standing on some girl from uni...it balances better than you'd expect, because the tune-o-matic bridge is quite high mass, there's a block of wood down through the middle of the body (as you'd expect) which adds mass and the neck feels surprisingly light (I don't know how I judge that, but I get that feeling.) Also I think the position of the strap button right on the neck join helps a lot.

Last edited by smb at Feb 14, 2008,
Nice collection! I must admit, I'm going a little green, 'cos I've been having GASful thoughts of a semi-acoustic for the QOTSA vibe. And I'm trying to pry my bro-in-law's tobacco burst ATK 400 from his grip. Very nice basses. I know what you mean about the slappability of them, it didn't take me long to go there when he asked me to try it in the shop.
I think you've said about the Mania the same things I've read. We haven't a dealer for them up here, or I'd try it out.
Class amp; bet the ATK sounds Godly with the deeps all on!