Hey guys i was just wondering:

1) Whats the advantages of having Bolt on necks?
2) Whats the disadvantage of having Bolt on necks?
3) Whats the advantages of having Set necks?
4) Whats the disadvtanges of having Set Necks?
5) Know Ibanez Edge 3 (III) have got a bad reputation, but is Edge 2 (II) any good for the tunning?

Sorry if this exsists if so please lemme know in advance!

Thanks!
if it snaps you can just buy a new one... not as good of sound quality.....for the bolt on and for the set neck.....amazing quality ...better than the bolt ion....but if it ever snaped...which will most likely not happen ever you would have to pay alot to fix it....
Quote by syyz1
I'm on my period, wearing no sort of protection, naked on a white chair

Quote by *Juno*
I put my balls inside the sound hole and strummed myself to ectasy

Quote by °☻°
I like it hairy, that way i can play welcome to the jungle while i have sex!
1) it's easy to replace and can come in handy during maintenance.

2) they can have bulky neck joints.

3) some people claim that neck through and set neck designs offer mor sustain, although I do not support this.

4) the opposite of the points under number 1, plus the fact that a set neck doesn't guarantee a comfortable neck joint.

5) The Edge pro II is not a better trem. That being said, neither are very good, but not as bad as some people say they are.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
1.) Bolt on necks are cheaper, and easier to replace the neck if it breaks and have a brighter tone.
2.) Bolt ons don't have as strong connection to the body or as good fret access as set necks.
3.) Set necks have stronger connection, a warmer tone, and more sustain.
4.) Set necks are harder to make & harder to repair.
5.) I heard only the first generation edge ones from Ibanez were good.

And neck through is like a set neck, except it's glued all the way through the guitar, not just at the front of the body. The pickups, bridge, strings, and fretboard are all attached to the one piece. It has better sustain and easier fret access than both but if the neck breaks, you might as well buy a new guitar.
Quote by Geartrigger
1.) Bolt on necks are cheaper, and easier to replace the neck if it breaks and have a brighter tone.

Their not always the cheaper option.

Quote by Geartrigger
2.) Bolt ons don't have as strong connection to the body or as good fret access as set necks.

A good bolt on joint can be incredibly solid and many companies like Ibanez with their All Access Neck Joint have bolt on joints with upper fret access similar to set necks or neck throughs.

Also, a neck through or set neck does not equal good upper fret access.

Quote by Geartrigger
3.) Set necks have stronger connection, a warmer tone, and more sustain.

I have set neck, bolt on and neck through guitars in my rig and I don't think any of those joints are supreme when it comes to sustain.

Quote by Geartrigger
4.) Set necks are harder to make & harder to repair.

They're not necessarily harder to make. It depends on the joint and the attention to detail a luthier puts into it.

Quote by Geartrigger
5.) I heard only the first generation edge ones from Ibanez were good.

There are many great Ibanez trems, like the Lo-Pro, the Edge, the ZR, the Edge Pro and the Double Edge to name some.

The wood the guitar is made out of, the way the joint is carved and the workmanship are far more infuential on the tone, sustain and upper fret access than the actual joint itself.

On top of that, with today's amplifiers, the minor differences in sustain are usually barely noticeable.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 10, 2008,