Does anyone know what exactly the game is like? Is it similar to Age of Empires? What are it's good sides and bad sides? Should I buy this game or Age of Empires 3?

Thanks for any help guys =D
It's a great game. But, it's not at all like Age of Empires.

You don't like command troops on the battle field, you basicly tell them to attack, and there's a batle.

It's more logistics. Still great fun.

EDIT: There both a few years old. So you could prolly pick-up a copy of both for under 50 bucks, or so I'm guessing.

MORE EDIT: The last edit could be total wrong/irrelavent, if get the bundles with the expansion packs.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 10, 2008,
It is a great and addicting game for about three days. Then I got bored of it. It was still fun as hell for those three days though.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
I've played most the Civs up to an including the 3rd one, so much better than AoE, if you like that kind of thing.

It's not really a very similar game tho, despite the obvious similarities.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
They are not the same at all. AOE is an action-focused fastpaced rts. Civilization however is a turnbased game that puts a lot of importance on strategy. It's a hell of a lot deeper and much more fun, but it's also harder and takes longer time to learn.
Buy Civilization 4!
¯|(°_o)/¯
So is it more like, you have to build up your civilization and become the best in the world (in a nutshell) rather than build up an army and fight others?
totally sucks - the combat is turn based, not real, not representative, but the civs are v good so kinda 3.9/5
Quote by michal23
So is it more like, you have to build up your civilization and become the best in the world (in a nutshell) rather than build up an army and fight others?

you do that too
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Civ 3 is the best of the 4 games imo...I can never seem to get into the 4th game as much. Plus it's dirt cheap for what a great game you get.

BTW - it's nothing like age of empires
AoE3 is pretty dissapointing, and far less enjoyable than the previous two games. The combat is boring, very arcady and the direction they took with the campaign was a big step backwards.

Civilization 4 on the other hand is one of my favourite games. I played it for well over a year consistently. It's very challenging and has a insane amount of depth. It's also very addicting as well as relaxing which makes is especially nice to play. The only downside is that turns take longer to load in the late game, but it's something that's easy to live with.

Quote by michal23

Military is a big part of the game. The combat system is pretty unusual, but very challenging. The ai is also really good which makes the game last longer. And wars aren't won in a minute, sometimes you have to have several to completely destroy a civilization.
Civ 4 is crack in game form. The first day I got it I played for hours, and I still do play it a lot. Very good game, but not like AoE.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
I downloaded it. The torrents are fairly active still, so go for it. I got the Beyond the Sword expansion too.
well all i can say is when civ2 came out i played it non-stop for hours (and civ4 is basically a better version of that). it may be turn based but thats where all the real strategy comes in. The action level would be much greater in AoE3 so depending on what you're after that might be a better option.

does ci4 still have the great wall and leonardo's workshop? those wonders rulled... all my obsolete phalanx's to musketeers? yes please
Quote by HedBanger24/7
It is a great and addicting game for about three days. Then I got bored of it. It was still fun as hell for those three days though.

You can keep it fresh by playing scenarios. I personally don't enjoy playing all the way up to the nukes and modern weapons. There's one where you have to battle it out greco-roman style.
The huge downfall in Civ games is that you're always like "okay, one more turn," or "I'll stop after I do this," but then you just keep playing.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by Diamond Dave

does ci4 still have the great wall and leonardo's workshop? those wonders rulled... all my obsolete phalanx's to musketeers? yes please

Pfft. Women's Suffrage is where it's at. Democratic governments monster economy plus military flexibility? If you settle the right places early in the game under Monarchy and don't drop the ball with defence, you can't fail.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.