Hi,
I'm in the market for a new amp, only problem is I really haven't a clue about what to get.
At the moment I'm playing through a microcube, which really isn't loud enough when having band practice in my friends garage.

I really do like my microcube so maybe a cube 30/60 would be a good choice?
Does anyone have any other recommendations?

How many watts should I go for? would 30 be sufficient, or would I be better going for 40/50/60?

I will just be playing rock, nothing too heavy through the amp. Would also like the amps to have decent cleans.

I have €400 to spend(580$) but would really like to spend lower

Thanks .
If you're not playing metal, the Vox Valvetronix series is widely considered superior to the microcube. The cleans and low-mid gain sounds are better, though it lacks "t3h br00talz."
Some recommendations:

Palomino V32 (the.spine.surfs uses a V16 w/ his jam band and holds his own)
Peavey Valveking (I don't like them, some users swear by them)

or, what I would do:

Blues Jr. (Only $400!) + Tube Screamer (~$100)

Fender cleans. Great overdrive. Awesome blues-rock rig for $500. With the TS, it's effectively 2-channel as well. Not to mention the Reverb. Yum. Fender.

All that to say... GO PLAY THEM YOURSELF!
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous

Blues Jr. (Only $400!) + Tube Screamer (~$100)

But here in Ireland a blues junior would cost me 1088$ from here , or at the cheapest 725$ from here
I think that the Crate Palomino V16 would be a good choice. The cleans are nice, but might be lacking if you need them at gigging volume. With humbuckers at high volume, with the gain all the way or mostly down, you can dig in and get some distortion. But that's what volume knobs are for!

Shame about not being able to get a Blues Junior.

If you end up going SS, I think 50 or 60 watts will be about right. 15 or 30 is the right number, if you're able to go tube.
Quote by Dmullar
But here in Ireland a blues junior would cost me 1088$ from here , or at the cheapest 725$ from here

The answer is.................................go used.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by carniferous
Palomino V32

Can't get them in UK mate and I think Ireland is the same. However should TS find one, good idea.
EDIT: Found this one ebay, they ship worldwide and I think it is just in your price range including shipping. Linky
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Can't get them in UK mate and I think Ireland is the same. However should TS find one, good idea.

Tosh! Then a used Blues Junior, or a TRAYNOR. Yea, one of those, I just thought of that.
Wow. Rarely am I really thankful I can call myself an American....

No Crate?

No Fender?

Shoot me in the face.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Give the Fender Superchamp XD a try, its about $300 US I just got one I love it. It is all 15w Tube (valve) Amp but has a Solid State circuit on the Second Channel for different models.