Alright, lets turn to....

I have been looking at solid state amps to replace my Cube (15W).

Everyone on here says forget the SS and go tube. Agreed tube sounds better, but are more expensive, high-maintenance, and are usually pretty heavy.

People have also said that its easier to fix a tube than a SS.

How is this? Its my understanding that SS are nothing but a speaker, and a few circuit boards wired up in a cabinet.

Tube however have the actual tubes that you have to replace every so often, and are real finicky electrical-wise. And you can damage them easily just by lugging them to gigs and stuff, also the tubes can be unreliable sometimes.

Whereas with SS, you just fix the boards, and worst case scenario, just replace the board or faulty component. And if you have to buy a new amp all together, its easier to replace a $300 SS 30W, than a $800 tube 50W. (IMO)

Anyway, post whether my theories are correct or just argue between SS vs Tube.
as long as you let your tubes warmup you won't have to replace your tubes much
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Tubes don't require maintenance, and the tubes can last 2 years or more.

Tube circuits are generally less complicated than SS, or so I am led to believe.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
1) you dont just 'fix' a circuit board.

2) you dont compare a 30W SS to a 50W tube.

3) sure, their high maintenance, if you count not throwing them down a fire escape as high maintenance.

4) tubes need replacing every 3 years or so. little less if your gigging.

5) tube is better
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Circuits in amps like Vox and Line6 have VERY complicated electronics in them. They are essentially computers built into the amp and are quite difficult to fix if it all goes tits up.

The circuits on valve amps are a lot simpler as they have no presets, modelling or built in effect to worry about (apart from reverb but that is usually analogue in valve amps) so the circuitry is a lot simpler.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Tubes amps don't take much more looking after than SS really, you just need to change the tubes every couple of years depending how much/loud you play. As has already been said, if you plan on throwing it out a 5 story window then it doesn't matter which you get, it's gonna break. Also so many people have this rediculous preconceived idea that if they want a tube amp they have to spend £($)100000000000. YOU DON'T.
You also compared 30w SS to 50w Tube, not all tube amps are 50w and over you know.....a 15w Tube amp will blow most 30w SS out of the water and will probably cost the same price if not less.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
i never have anyproblems with my tube amps and i lug them around to play all the time ( i even made one and it hasnt given me a problem yet)...as for the tubes i play all my amps on 10 and never have to change tubes ( 3 years ) and when you do its only like 40 bucks
Gear:
too much to list

Soldering iron:15 dollars
Amp kit: 500 dollars
solder: 5 dollars
Burning the crap outta your fingers: priceless
Tube = natural, warm, tone - no filters.

SS = slightly compressed, cold, tone - have filters which cut off some of the low & high frequencies.

Answer = personal preference, your choice!!!
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Tube = natural, warm, tone - no filters.

SS = slightly compressed, cold, tone - have filters which cut off some of the low & high frequencies.

Answer = personal preference, your choice!!!

You have finally learned
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
My friend dropped his 5150 combo at the top of his stairs because one of the handles fell off (it was loose and he didn't notice it), it fell down the stairs and was completely fine, not even a broken tube. That's easily damagable?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO tube amps are well worth the price and maintenance. And you can get tube amps for pretty good prices, of course there are a lot that are super expensive.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
We need to put a sticky up telling people that tubes are not high maintenance.

Apparently it is no different from changing a lightbulb and if that's too hard every year then you deserve to own a Marshall MG100DFX. Realisitcally, if you are a SS user like I was up until last month, then there is no viable upgrade in that category (If you are a VOX or Roland owner) until you start paying the prices that they ask for a Roland Jazz Chorus, Vox VTX, or a Line 6 Vetta, and I think personally, at that price range, unless you are a professional with a studio, that you should consider a valve amp.
Tube amps:
Easier to fix, worth the repair costs and retubes.
Sound much better.
SS amps:
Usually not worth the repair cost, throw away.
Do not sound as good.
Take a look around on ebay, craigslist, pawn shops, etc. How many 20-30 year old ss amps you see setting around?
Saying SS is better than tube is like saying Easy Mac is better than fettucini alfredo because it's easier to make.
Quote by bananaboy
Saying SS is better than tube is like saying Easy Mac is better than fettucini alfredo because it's easier to make.

it is easier...though oddly enough I HATE mac'n'cheese. <probably only person in the world.

The Roland Jazz Chorus seems to be pretty neat. I saw they have a SS version on musiciansfriend, though reviews say it sucks compared to the tube version. Duh! But, would it be alright for small gigs?
Tubes are like $15 each, to replace a whole set of tubes on like a 40W amp will only be around $50-65. Plus You only have to do this every 2 Years or so.
1) use the search bar man. their was a huge thread on this.
Quote by neptune1988

The Roland Jazz Chorus seems to be pretty neat. I saw they have a SS version on musiciansfriend, though reviews say it sucks compared to the tube version. Duh! But, would it be alright for small gigs?

link to the tube version?
^Yup

This is subjective, but for what it's worth, I think the JC 120 is awesome.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by neptune1988
it is easier...though oddly enough I HATE mac'n'cheese. <probably only person in the world.

ah... makes perfect sense now.

don't trust musician's friend reviews... majority are idiots
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
ah... makes perfect sense now.

don't trust musician's friend reviews... majority are idiots

I hear you!

The whole Tube vs Solid State thing gets severely knocked out of proportion, especially on forums like these. Sometimes, we like to compare cheap transistor amplifiers to expensive valve amplifiers. I mean, of course there's going to be a huge difference between them. You'd have to be an idiot to not notice them.

Then we get into the expensive ones. Expensive transistor amps could probably hold their own quite well against valve amps sound wise so long as you have a blind test and you don't have to play. The one thing that transistors will probably not be able to do are the things that differentiate transistor amplifiers from valve amplifiers. The responsiveness and dynamics. You can tell a transistor amp right away if you're playing through one. Pick attack doesn't matter all that much on them too. If you pick lightly, you'll probably get roughly the same sound as playing hard on a transistor amp. Valve amps respond well to picking dynamics and volume levels. Turn down the volume on the guitar, the amplifier cleans up, turn it up, the amp starts to get raunchy. Pick softly and the amp will be soft, pick hard and the amp will bite your head off.

Feel free to pwn me, I'm tired and I was babbling. I'll probably wake up tomorrow, read this over and go 'what the bloody hell was I thinking?'

Cheers :P
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I hear you!

[big ramble ]

haha, yeah it does tend to get a bit ridiculous. but as for the dynamics thing, some ss amps clean up better than some tube amps.

don't hurt me, this is a true story. i was playing through this mg someone abandoned at my house, i got an almost clean sound by turning down the volume knob on my guitar. and picking lightly cleans it up too.

i was disappointed with my sister's palomino v50, as it didn't respond very well at all to picking dynamics and the guitar's volume knob.

hell, even my blues driver (ss) cleans up better. shocking, i know
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
haha, yeah it does tend to get a bit ridiculous. but as for the dynamics thing, some ss amps clean up better than some tube amps.

[something or other about a Marshall MG]

Yeah MG amps are crushing! [/didn't read]

That's kind of surprising about the Palomino. Oh well, at least it sounds good.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
oh come on, i read your whole wall of text
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
oh come on, i read your whole wall of text

That's the difference between you and I Jon. You underestimate my laziness! I know I should take the initiative, but then I realize I'm a lazy sod so I just piss off and rifle through everything.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
ah... i see. learn somethin everyday haha.

... *cough* mg cleans up better than palomino v50 *cough*
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah MG amps are crushing! [/didn't read]

That's kind of surprising about the Palomino. Oh well, at least it sounds good.

Haha The mg is slammin, the overdrive is crushing, Like what can compel someone to do that to there fellow guitarist, convincing noobs that Mgs are crushing haha
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
hey tubes aren't so great.... dimebag used ss amps for most of his of career because he thought that tube amps sound too warm and he couldn't get enough gain.

its really just a matter of opinion and what type of music you play
^ And the result was a horribly thin screechy tone IMO. You can't justify either type of amp by saying 'this guy used it, it must be good'.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by led+metallica
hey tubes aren't so great.... dimebag used ss amps for most of his of career because he thought that tube amps sound too warm and he couldn't get enough gain.

If I didn't already, that might convince me to only play tube amps.
Quote by neptune1988
Everyone on here says forget the SS and go tube. Agreed tube sounds better, but are more expensive, high-maintenance, and are usually pretty heavy.

People have also said that its easier to fix a tube than a SS.

How is this? Its my understanding that SS are nothing but a speaker, and a few circuit boards wired up in a cabinet.

Tube however have the actual tubes that you have to replace every so often, and are real finicky electrical-wise. And you can damage them easily just by lugging them to gigs and stuff, also the tubes can be unreliable sometimes.

Whereas with SS, you just fix the boards, and worst case scenario, just replace the board or faulty component. And if you have to buy a new amp all together, its easier to replace a $300 SS 30W, than a $800 tube 50W. (IMO)

Anyway, post whether my theories are correct or just argue between SS vs Tube.

These aren't theories, they're misconceptions.

Tube amps ARE easier to fix. Tube circuits are less complex, and often a repair is as simple as replacing a tube. I know of no SS amp techs, either. You break a SS amp, it's pretty much a paper weight unless you happen to be a SS amp tech.

Tube amps are no more fragile than SS amps. I could take my 1971 Traynor Bassmate and repeatedly beat great tube tone into your skull with it, then sit it on a small cab and blow away a much larger SS amp. A good manufacturer makes a durable product, whether it's tube or SS doesn't matter.

Finicky electrical-wise? What the hell does that mean? More misconception trying to masquerade as fact?

And why are you comparing a 30W SS amp to a 50W tube amp? The reality is that a 15W tube amp will get very close in perceived volume to a 50W SS amp. "Fender Blues Jr. or Vox AD50VT," is a legitimate choice between comparable amps volume-wise. Price-wise, too.

Quote by led+metallica

Didn't Dimebag die in a bad tone related incident?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Tubes don't require maintenance, and the tubes can last 2 years or more.

Tube circuits are generally less complicated than SS, or so I am led to believe.

The Loon is correct. I've had my Spider Valve (AWESOME AMP, get one ) for ages and it's never gone wrong, it's still as sparkling as it was when I got it.
Quote by mr_hankey
If I didn't already, that might convince me to only play tube amps.

Ooooh...it's funny cos it's true
Quote by slatsmania
Tube amps are no more fragile than SS amps. I could take my 1971 Traynor Bassmate and repeatedly beat great tube tone into your skull with it, then sit it on a small cab and blow away a much larger SS amp. A good manufacturer makes a durable product, whether it's tube or SS doesn't matter.

I agree, but I don't think it's really fair to compare old non-pcb amps with new pcb SS amps (good luck finding a SS amp which isn't made on pcb, though!). I know my Bassman can survive a tumble down the stairs, but I wouldn't expect a Hot Rod Deluxe to do the same.

Quote by slatsmania
Didn't Dimebag die in a bad tone related incident?

I consider ss amps for the most part as practice amps. I've got a big old Crate 212 and a 412 cab which I hardly ever use. It sounds pretty good for high-gain and clean, but nothing in between, so I couldn't use it to gig because of my genres. It is my opinion that the older Crates sound better than the newer Flexwaves. My practice amp is an old Peavey Backstage Plus, which could fool less experienced ears into thinking its a tube amp. I would risk gigging with it mic'd up.
For my large gig-sized jams with friends or when I sit in with bands I use my 50 watt tube combo which sounds wonderful. So here's how I break it down:
If you have to play super quiet ss amps are ok and sometimes better (Peavey Transtubes are my favorite ss amps) than tubes. If you want to jam with a band or are gigging you owe it to your audience and to yourself to use tube amps.
Don't go and buy an oversized practice amp that's going to clip nastily if you crank it.