Hey guys,

So... before someone says "noobs should learn how to use the search function!!!"
I have searched, and have read a few threads on the Marshall amp and why people shouldn't get it

But this is where I think my situation's a tad different

People mostly recommended either a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix in those Marshall threads.
However, I already have a Boss GT-6, so I don't need the effects (which I THINK is partly why people recommended those amps?)
Are these amps good for "everything else" meaning it'll sound good with my GT-6 plugged in? From what I remember from reading all those threads, people seem to praise its clean channel, but I do like to play with distortion... do these amps sound good with distortion? Also, someone said something about not being able to use his pedals with the Cube... is that true?

And also, are the 30 watt versions of the Cube/Valvetronix loud enough to be able to be heard among my drumset and 50 watt bass amp (Crate BT-50) in my basement?
I'm going to use it as a practice amp since I'm not in a band or anything, BUT I also want to be prepared in case I do need to play at a small gig (most probably just at church or something)

And lastly, I think I've found someone selling his Roland Cube 30 (not sure if it's 30x... is it a big difference?) for $125CDN, good deal? Anything to look out for when buying a used amp? (Don't exactly want to spend $200 to fix a $125 amp lol)

Thanks for reading this super long question!
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
POS drum set + better cymbals/hardware lol
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
E-MU 0404 Audio Interface
MXL 990 Condenser Microphone
does the gt6 have amp models?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Epiphone valve junior combo, especially since you've got a GT-6.

to get over a drumset?

if you dont want even a hint of cleans maybe
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
does the gt6 have amp models?

according to the Boss website, the GT-6 has "30 COSM amp models, plus new Distortion/Overdrive Pedal Modeling (15 types) and Wah Modeling (5 types)"
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
gah, a Roland Cube 30 is a good amp. I had one! I don't see why people here think that tube is ALWAYS better than solid state. He won't suffice with a 5 watt tube amp. 30 watts SS probably wouldnt do too good against a drum set either. I say go for Cube or save more money and get a 60 to be heard well over drums
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

^ i think we're suggesting not to go for the cube because that multifx pedal thingy he has might already have most of (if not more than) the amp models the cube has. and the amp models (and to a lesser extent, the fx, which that unit presumably also has) are the major reason that most people recommend the cube... take those away and you don't have very much... (thanks to mushy eyes for the info)

i agree, a 5 watt tube amp probably isn't what he wants, but with the cube there's a reasonable chance he's paying for something he already has... some kinda high-ish headroom solid state or valve amp is probably a cool idea. of course, i can't think of any...

what kind of budget are you talking, mushy eyes?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hm... well, I was hoping to get a decent amp for around $300

And I'm still a noob, so I don't think I need a tube amp just yet, since I probably won't be able to hear the difference anyways :P
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
aye. if you could swing something like a valveking, that'd be cool, but that's a bit more cash i think. cheaper tube amps tend to be lower wattage and probably won't have the headroom (ability to sound clean) that you need for gigs and getting over drums etc.

it's really up to you. assuming that gt6 you have is of similar quality to a cube's fx and modelling (if not better), it doesn't really make sense to waste money on one of the cheaper modelling amps, if you ask me.

i'm not sure to be honest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ht666
Get an Epihpone Valve Junior then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Valve Junior I see is 5 watts (on Musician's Friend), and I don't think I'll be able to hear that above my drum set...
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
Quote by Dave_Mc
aye. if you could swing something like a valveking, that'd be cool, but that's a bit more cash i think. cheaper tube amps tend to be lower wattage and probably won't have the headroom (ability to sound clean) that you need for gigs and getting over drums etc.

it's really up to you. assuming that gt6 you have is of similar quality to a cube's fx and modelling (if not better), it doesn't really make sense to waste money on one of the cheaper modelling amps, if you ask me.

i'm not sure to be honest.

Do you recommend any amp other than the Valveking, which I believe is a tube amp?
Because I don't think I should spend money on a tube amp when I most probably won't be able to hear the difference between a tube amp and a solid state (or w/e is the opposite of a tube amp)
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
Quote by mushy_eyes
Do you recommend any amp other than the Valveking, which I believe is a tube amp?
Because I don't think I should spend money on a tube amp when I most probably won't be able to hear the difference between a tube amp and a solid state (or w/e is the opposite of a tube amp)

You will hear the difference, trust me. I thought that too, for a long time. But you do.
Quote by PeavyXXXman
crate palmino

+1

You can't get them here in Britain, but I've only heard good things about them.

5w tube isn't loud enough for band practice, especially if you want cleans.

Unless you want to wait until April, when the bigger Blackheart comes out. It is a 15 watt head which is switchable between 7 and 15 watts, like the Tiny Terror from Orange. I think it's also compatible with the current cab on my Blackheart, which can handle up to 75w, and I doubt the new head will be more than $200 and the cab is around $100 in the USA (I think). This will be more than enough for band practice, with great tone at the same time!

You will notice the difference between tube and solid state, believe me.

You have some good gear there for a self confessed n00b. Don't compromise with a cr*p amp that will have you kicking yourself like so many others in years to come.
Quote by mushy_eyes
Hm... well, I was hoping to get a decent amp for around $300

And I'm still a noob, so I don't think I need a tube amp just yet, since I probably won't be able to hear the difference anyways :P

dude...
save up 100 more and get a valveking, you wont be disapointed.
Or find a valveking used.

Your ears will appreciate it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by uldhppi
Tube is always better than solid state!

not true, but in most cases your right

Id take a Jazz Chorus over a Valveking anyday but I hate valvekings so...
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by kool98769
dude...
save up 100 more and get a valveking, you wont be disapointed.
Or find a valveking used.

Your ears will appreciate it.

I did a quick Google-search on it, and initial impressions seem to say that the Valveking is unreliable and that Peavey has bad quality control?
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
Quote by mushy_eyes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Valve Junior I see is 5 watts (on Musician's Friend), and I don't think I'll be able to hear that above my drum set...

Wrong.
5W Tube

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
Quote by OctoberWind
Wrong.
5W Tube

Oh, is there a difference between 5 watts and 5W tube? Sorry, didn't know...
My noob gear :
Jackson DKMG
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez GSR200
Akai MPK49
Boss GT-6
Crate BT-50
Quote by uldhppi
Tube is always better than solid state!

Ampeg and Randall both make solid-states that sound better then alot of tube amps.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
^you wish. most tube amps are not what you hear about here. no one talks about the boutique brands because everyone's price range is like $4 and a pack of gum and wants a nice amp.

5 watts tube won't get you cleanly over a drummer
Quote by mushy_eyes

i'm not sure about high wattage solid states.

if you could get a vk for a decent price, i'd say it's worth it. the only way you get used to hearing the difference is by using one. and its resale would probably be better than a solid state (don't quote me on that).

Quote by OctoberWind
Wrong.
5W Tube

what's your point? it has no clean headroom at all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?