Page 1 of 2
A simple question really. I'm intruiged to know what you think.

Please dont post daft answers like Wikipedia links, or google.com. I want to know your view on it.

Be as ellaborate as you want.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Music is everywhere, created by nature, people, animals, instruments. It's the sound of the world.
tough question, i guess i would go with my music teacher's definition of "Organized Sound", although that definition clearly has a few holes in it it seems to fit overall.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Sounds arranged in an intelligent and artful manner so as to be pleasing to other people.

not all other people tho as fall out boy's record sales vs their level of pit flame-age shows.
Music: Controlled sound.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds arranged in an intelligent and artful manner so as to be pleasing to other people.

Too vague. What is 'intelligent' and 'artful'?
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Charles Ives, and then anything with more instrumentation.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Music is the arrangement of sound, or the intention of arranging sound made by a self-conscious being.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sounds you go out of your way to sit down and make a concious effort to listen to.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Intresting thoughts so far... If anyone says "Music is Art", then define what Art is.

My tutor asked me once and I said somthing along the lines of, it was a task by the way "Music is a collection of sounds arranged in way that the listner is able to interpret the artists work as they want"
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by Xiaoxi
Music is the arrangement of sound, or the intention of arranging sound made by a self-conscious being.

Agreed. There's got to be someone behind it, because I wouldn't consider any natural noise music, unless it's been arranged by someone to sound musical.
I'd say an arrangement of sound, that brings joy to it's listeners. Could be the sound of saws or the sounds made by movements of an audience, but whatever one likes the sound of.
It's sound made specifically for the entertainment (although it can be made for other purposes) of an audience, where the key focus is the dynamics, pitch and arrangement of the sounds themselves.
Music is that which is audible and intended to be appreciated by a listener.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Has anyone ever sat and listened to John Cages "4:33"?, its beautifully brillaint
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by doggy_hat
you could say that it's organized sound, but then genres like noizecore eliminate that as a possible answer. I guess any sound thats someone calls music is music.

How is noisecore an exception?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
music is different for everyone. I think music is intentionally placed pitches of sound to create a melodic piece.
Quote by nick dixon
Has anyone ever sat and listened to John Cages "4:33"?, its beautifully brillaint

I've been in an orchestra whilst performing it.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
music is what your heart says and what you bevileve
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Music is power and life
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

even silence is music in its own way really, anything that makes a sound, arranged or not, its music.
I'd just like to say I fall into the 5% of us on this site who aren't metalheads.

I am UG's resident Communist.
Quote by doggy_hat
Noizecore is pretty much supposed to be chaotic and noisey, not exactly very organized.

If it has a beginning and end, it is organized.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
^^Beginning and an end does not make something organized..

I think we have to reconsider the use of "organized" in a definition of music.. I mean look at freeform jazz. Not really "organized" by definition... Arranged maybe, but even some jam bands don't have a defined beginning and ending point. Often time the music evolves, and builds upon itself through the direction of the musicians at the time.

Organized Sound seems so sterile to me. I had an argument about this with another member in a different thread.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by doggy_hat
Noizecore is pretty much supposed to be chaotic and noisey, not exactly very organized.

That's the thing though, music does not have to be organized. John Cage was a good example of that.
Quote by AthenasGhost
Sounds that appeal to your emotions, that can generally be appreciated

That's probably the best definition you can give music.
Music is noise that sounds good or makes you horny

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Noise that is pleasing to the listeners ears.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Page 1 of 2