There's probably a million of these threads.. oh well.

I'm willing to spend up to $800 on my next guitar and I'm set on getting a strat. I've looked at a bunch, everything from MIM's, to Highway One's, Classic Player 50's, MIJ's and last years MIA's (prices are marked down). Obviously in the end it comes down to my own feeling from playing the guitars, but I like outside opinions too. What would you guys recommend for a strat in the $800 (or lower) price ranger? used or new.

I'm in a bit of the dilemma because all the strats are nice.. I like the CP50's V neck and 50's features, the MIA's build quality and parts, the Highway One's nitro finish etc etc
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
i cant see why not. The only thing better than those would be the american specials and hot rods. Strats are great instruments if you play blues, rock, punk etc. I once tried an amazing american strat and it was only 650.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Don't forget to look at the Classic Player 60's. It comes with Custom Shop '69 pickups which are very nice.

If I had the money I guess I would go with the MIA no matter what. If you want a Strat that is basically built to be something you should have for the rest of your life it's a good bet. They have great pickups too. The Highway One's pickups are noticeably hotter. I have a Highway One, one of the $388 deals from GC, and love it. Cost not being a factor I would prefer a regular MIA but I love what I've got.

If you like the V-neck then it might be worth trying a Jimmy Vaughn too. It has a soft-V and tex-mex pups which are pretty good.
The CP60 doesn't have a maple fretboard though.. which I really want on the strat.

As far as the Highway One vs. standard MIA.. what are the main differences, since they are both made in the USA? Also, $388???
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
So I can get either a CP50s, a Highway 1 or an American Std (last years model is about $800 now).

My ideal guitar would be the American Vintage Reissue '57, so with that in mind which out of those three listed above would you recommend? Obviously the CP50s has the closest specs, but I'm also looking for a quality built guitar that will last as my main guitar for a whiiile.
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Rapishorrid
So I can get either a CP50s, a Highway 1 or an American Std (last years model is about $800 now).

My ideal guitar would be the American Vintage Reissue '57, so with that in mind which out of those three listed above would you recommend? Obviously the CP50s has the closest specs, but I'm also looking for a quality built guitar that will last as my main guitar for a whiiile.

Personally, out of the 3 you have identified, I would go for the American Standard with maple neck purely because it has 22 frets. However, if that's not important to you then go for the CP50's with the '57/'62 vintage-style single-coil pickups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by Comfortablylomb
Don't forget to look at the Classic Player 60's. It comes with Custom Shop '69 pickups which are very nice.

it doesnt have the custom shop 69' pu's
they are custom 69 different from the american custom fender pickups
id go for the american standard there too, but all 3 are nice you cant really go wrong, whichever you like best
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Theres a difference between the Classic Player 50's Strat and the 50's Strat (Mexican). The Classic Player's got a 2-point bridge while the 50's Strat (Mexican) has the classic bridge. I'd love to own an American Vintage Reissue 50's Strat but $1500 is quite a lot. I'd say the Mexican 50's Strat is the next best thing.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by BirdHouse
it doesnt have the custom shop 69' pu's
they are custom 69 different from the american custom fender pickups

Hmm, just double-checked the specs, you're right. They seem to made very similar to the CS ones though.
What's the difference between the CP50s and an American standard as far as build quality and hardware quality? Obviously the CP50s has vintage styled hardware and specs, but how is it quality-wise?
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Rapishorrid
What's the difference between the CP50s and an American standard as far as build quality and hardware quality? Obviously the CP50s has vintage styled hardware and specs, but how is it quality-wise?

I went through the same deal as you between the CP50 and the Standard(old model). I ended up with the CP50 and could not possibly be happier. It's got the exact 50's tone i was looking for and is one of the most versatile guitars i've played. I can't recommend it enough.

The CP50 hardware is just as good if not better than the standard because it has locking tuners as well. Build quality, i think most will agree that the Standard has an edge but it's not that much. Just look around a bit. Every guitar center i've gone to has at least 2 of these so it shouldn't be that hard to pick one out. I got my two tone for 500 at GC but just today i saw 3 shoreline gold for $400 on clearance at GC.

It's up to you to figure out which guitar you like better. I'd say it mostly comes down to tone. If a 57 American Vintage is what you really want you won't be able to come any closer to it than a CP50's.
I have heard the MIM Strat deluxe is good for the money, and I believe it's about 750 or so. Also, I ordered an American Standard Strat for $999, but that's out of your price range.
The CP50 hardware is just as good if not better than the standard because it has locking tuners as well. Build quality, i think most will agree that the Standard has an edge but it's not that much. Just look around a bit. Every guitar center i've gone to has at least 2 of these so it shouldn't be that hard to pick one out. I got my two tone for 500 at GC but just today i saw 3 shoreline gold for $400 on clearance at GC.

$400?? Wow I need to get out to my local guitar center. Even $500 is a steal, if these usually go for 750 new. Funny you say that though because my guitar center had everything but the CP50s last time I went. Either way, I think I'm pretty set on the CP50s over the American standard, but I have to go try them all out again for myself. For $400 or even $500 its no question though!
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Rapishorrid
$400?? Wow I need to get out to my local guitar center. Even $500 is a steal, if these usually go for 750 new. Funny you say that though because my guitar center had everything but the CP50s last time I went. Either way, I think I'm pretty set on the CP50s over the American standard, but I have to go try them all out again for myself. For $400 or even $500 its no question though!

I feel obligated to mention that my two tone was a "blem". A tiny scratch on the back that i eventually buffed out. Still thought it was a great deal. The 3 i saw today(yes today, i went again I'm sure they're sick of me) were all in great condition though.
So I finally go to a guitar center that had the CP50. Took me a bit to find it, but I did and i got to plug it into a peavey classic 30 (i have a classic 50). It was even 2 tone sunburst (what I want), the only problem was - it was set up like ****. The action was jacked, the neck slightly bowed, and the high E string saddle was bent so there was a huge space between the B and E string. So.. it felt like crap to play. The tone was nice though from what I could hear through the usual guitar center "music".

That all kind of pisses me off because I could tell if it was set up nicely I probably would've fell in love, plus it was for $500. And it had a nice scratch in the back so I probably could've walked out with it for $400. So once I get my cash sorted out, I'm thinking I'll buy it, get it set up to my liking and test it with my own equipment at real volumes. Then if I dont like it.. i return it.
Agile AL-3000
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by ste993
Personally, out of the 3 you have identified, I would go for the American Standard with maple neck purely because it has 22 frets. However, if that's not important to you then go for the CP50's with the '57/'62 vintage-style single-coil pickups.

I just ordered one, and I'm glad there are 22 frets. If you had $1000ish TS, I would recommend this.