Hey,
For a science thing I have to build something similar to a lap steel.
Only problem is... I can't use any thing that would be on a regular instrument (regular tuning machines, bridge). So I must make everything by hand. I was thinking of using those big screws with the big loop on the end for crude tuners, and i'd carve a hardtail bridge out of wood (it works decently).
Can you point me to anything which helps me with this, or do one of you have some light to shed on this? I need it done in 2 weeks.

also... I tried googling, it had schematics with regular tuning machines and TOM bridges and stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'd try to make the bridge out of a peice of metal. I think that would work much better than wood.
And with the loop-ended screws (I think I know what you're talking about... they're usually screwed into the cieling to hang things, right?), I think that you'd have a hard time keeping tension on the strings without any sort of geared tuning system. I'd imagine that the tension would just cause the string to unwind off of it without gears/something to kep the screw from rotaing backwards.
Quote by james4
I'd try to make the bridge out of a peice of metal. I think that would work much better than wood.
And with the loop-ended screws (I think I know what you're talking about... they're usually screwed into the cieling to hang things, right?), I think that you'd have a hard time keeping tension on the strings without any sort of geared tuning system. I'd imagine that the tension would just cause the string to unwind off of it without gears/something to kep the screw from rotaing backwards.

All right, i'll look for a chunk of metal to use. And yeah, that's what i'm talking about with the screws. I'd be using the BIG HONKIN ones, the ones that weigh like a quarter of a pound each. I had bad experiences with the smaller ones.
Also, this is a bit off topic, but since I want to keep this instrument fairly simple, I was thinking of only having 3 strings, but having it tuned to play chords (I'm playing it with a slide).
Also, is there some place where's there a good schematic for frets (I'm gonna pencil them off, not using frets)?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
www.stewmac.com has a fret calculator, if that's what you mean.

And with the tuning, I'd guess that tuning it to the lowest 3 strings of a standard guitar in drop D would be your best bet (essentially a 'd power chord', so any chord you play across all the strings at any point will be root-5th-octave)
id tune it c-g-e if i were you
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I'd recommend tuning it A-D-F or G-C-Eb with the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings of a regular guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
make friction pegs

They have the added bonus of sounding better than geared machines and they're gloriously simple (but so very difficult to make well)
Oh, it has to be able to play a g major scale. i'll probably tune it so that it'll play a G power chord when all strings are open.
Also, thanks for the fret calculator.
Any more info on building one?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Use something like tru oil, tung oil, or danish oil to finish it, maybe? Since intonation doesn't matter, just use some kind of wood block for the bridge.

I'd make it a string through, and then just make the "ferrule" part in the back of the guitar a piece of metal with holes drilled through it.

How's the pickup going to work? Is it going to have a pickup??
I recently made something similar. I made a metal bracket to clamp the strings down at one end and bent two strips of metal to draw handle shapes for bridges. At the other end I pulled the strings as tight as possible and then screwed another bracket down to lock them. To tune them I screwed a small bracket like the retainer bar behind a locking nut, for each string. Screwing down increased the tension and could be used to tune very crudely