Hello.I'm using a Epiphone Les Paul Studio with a Boss Mega Distortion MD2 Pedal at the time.It's not bad but i really need a better amp (got a cheap Fender one with 35W).I'm looking for a Amp with a Hard Rock sound (Velvet Revolver, Guns N' Roses) and some Grunge Tunes (Alice in Chains etc). i have like 400-500€ and it should be enough Watt for playing in a Band and for Gigs. Should it be a combo or i need more?

Peace
try a line 6 spider 3. really good amps. very durable. alot of built in effects. i own and gig with a line 6 spider 3 150 watt 2x12 combo. its more than sufficient to gig with.
hope i could help.
Quote by 6atreyu9
try a line 6 spider 3. really good amps. very durable. alot of built in effects. i own and gig with a line 6 spider 3 150 watt 2x12 combo. its more than sufficient to gig with.
hope i could help.

look at laneys
Do NOT even think of Line 6 for that price range, that's just complete garbage.
I'd say, check out some used Marshall's, some Laney's or even the Peavey Valveking.
Quote by 6atreyu9
hope i could help.

Unless you're looking to model A LOT of different bands aside from the more calssic ones you're listed, DO NOT get a Line 6.

Especially if you're gigging.

I suggest.....

Crate Palomino
Peavey Valveking
Fender Blues Junior

EDIT (again):

ACtually, just click this. *clicky*
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 10, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
hes talking euros...

Oh.........

whoops. Forgot

Allow me to change this....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
damn didn't see your price range, my bad. but with your price range marshall, peavy, or kustom.

actually the line 6 tube amps arent to bad.
Thanks guys.what about a LANEY TF300?

Price : 413,08 €

- 120W RMS
- 12' (Custom Designed Premier)
- overdrive, reverb
- Vibe switch
- ECC83 Tube for True Tube Override
- FX Loop

witch marshall would be fair for the cash?
Last edited by hitl at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by 6atreyu9
damn didn't see your price range, my bad. but with your price range marshall, peavy, or kustom.

actually the line 6 tube amps arent to bad.

dude, stop with ur bull**** advice. by saying u didnt see his price range, are u saying that line 6s are too expensive for him? cuz theyre not, but that doesnt make them good at all. dont just throw out a few famous brand names and say "theyre good", say what theyre good for and stuff. you wouldnt be trying to get "fendery cleans" with a marshall now, would u?

TS, at ur price range, i'd say try to find a used JCM 800, you won't go wrong with it for that hard rock tone. and maybe an EQ for Grunge.
If not, then try out a Peavey Windsor head, these are also supposed to replicate that Marshall sound

edit: and if u dont wanna go used, u can always try a Marshall DSL, but these wont be as good for hard rock as the JCM 800
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
I'm currently browsing and testing amps to get a new one myself.
I use Boss effects pedals, and the MD-2 Mega Distortion is one of them.

I'm going for a halfstack. Here are my favourites so far:

- Laney LX 120 H = less than 300€
- Marshall MG 100 HDFX = less than 400€
- Peavey Windsor Top = less than 400€
- Peavey ValveKing Top = less than 500€

All of these amps are nice. They all have more than 100 watts, that's enough to your band gig needs. Obviously, they're not amazing, but for the price, they're good.
I believe you can get the tone you referred (grunge/hard rock) without a problem with any of these heads.
Throw in a 4x12" cabinet (you can get one 4x12" cabinet for a cheap price), and you're ready to rock'n'roll!
I like all of them, and maybe i'll get the Laney just because of its particular tone. I liked it very much.
I'd recommend any of these to you.

Just remember: before buying an amplifier, try it with your own guitar.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 11, 2008,
What about a marshall mg100dfx? i'm from slovenia so it's hard to get a JCM800 or a Laney

thanks for all your posts!
how bout a DSL? i've tried one before and it seems ok for Gn'R, just not much heavier. the marshall mg100dfx...um...this should answer any questions about marshalls
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499224&highlight=Marshall+MG

the marshall mg100dfx is just not a good amp and really overpriced, and should only be just a practice amp (the smalelr ones like the mg15 and stuff)
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by musicfreak003
how bout a DSL? i've tried one before and it seems ok for Gn'R, just not much heavier. the marshall mg100dfx...um...this should answer any questions about marshalls
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499224&highlight=Marshall+MG

the marshall mg100dfx is just not a good amp and really overpriced, and should only be just a practice amp (the smalelr ones like the mg15 and stuff)
mhm.seems no problem. got the boss MD2.the only DSL i can get at the time is 401 witch is 40W and a DSL 100W AMP HEAD for 1,150€+
hitl, from my own experience, i know almost everyone around here will advice you to buy better, more expensive amps. And they're right!

But in my own opinion, if you are on a budget, there's nothing wrong in buying a intermediate amp, not too expensive, and not top-quality (of course).

The Marshall MG 100 DFX is okay for you. Just try it and hear for yourself.

Are there better amps? Hell yeah.
For the same price? With the same quality, just Peaveys and Laneys (from my experiences).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
thanks m8.i will ask for the Laney LX 120 H. Do you know witch box would fit for it?
Don't get a stack...

Generally, they'll end up being a lot more expensive for the same amp than a smaller, more affordable and more practical combo. Can you get a Randall RG50TC/RG50+ combo where you are?

And remember, tube amps are a lot louder than SS amps. A 30w tube will keep up with a 100w Solid State amp in terms of volume. And as a general rule, tubes tend to have a better tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by hitl
thanks m8.i will ask for the Laney LX 120 H. Do you know witch box would fit for it?

Box? I assume you're talking about the cabinet...
I would recommend any cabinet with 4 speakers of 12 inches each (commonly referred to as 4x12" cabs). You can get a cheap 4x12 cabinet, like a Rockson, for 150€.

If you prefer, you can buy a Laney, or a Marshall cabinet for around 350€.

EDIT: by the way, good choice about the Laney LX 120 H.
When i tried it with my Squier Affinity Series Strat, i was amazed. I think you will too, when you try it.
You can really get multiple tones from it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 11, 2008,
^ DON'T DO THIS.

Cheap cabs are poorly contructed and have poor speakers... And plus remember a 4x12 weighs about 90 pounds.

You'd honestly be better off buying a combo at that pricerange to save cash. Plus a Randall RG50TC has far superior tone to a Laney LX120H.

Edit: Also, you would be impressed by the LX120H, seeing as you have a Frontman. I have a Frontman, it's honestly a disgustingly bad amp. Sterile, ****e. I've built an amp - literally - that costed nothing, and sounds better than that POS.

Point is, the LX120H isn't that impressive an amp anyway... generally high-wattage SS amps are a big no-no.
Quote by MrCarrot
You'd honestly be better off buying a combo at that pricerange to save cash. Plus a Randall RG50TC has far superior tone to a Laney LX120H.

Ahahahahahahah
The Randall doesn't have a "far superior tone"! They sound totally different! They are equally good, but you obviously can't get the Randall tone on a Laney and vice-versa!

I already tried various Randall amps, and for my style of playing (grunge/metal/rock) i just can't use a Randall. I need a Laney, Peavey or Marshall tone.

Also, cabs are great for gigging with your band. Combos doesn't spread your sound good enough, not even in a small club.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Ahahahahahahah
The Randall doesn't have a "far superior tone"! They sound totally different! They are equally good, but you obviously can't get the Randall tone on a Laney and vice-versa!

I already tried various Randall amps, and for my style of playing (grunge/metal/rock) i just can't use a Randall. I need a Laney, Peavey or Marshall tone.

Also, cabs are great for gigging with your band. Combos doesn't spread your sound good enough, not even in a small club.
....EPIC FAIL.

I have a Laney VC30 - an All-tube, 30w 1x12 Combo. And I've gigged with it 4 times recently. One gig was in said small club, two gigs were in a huge hall seating 400 people, and another was in a sports hall with 800 people in it. At the 'small club', my Volume never broke 2.5, in the 400-person hall I got it to Volume 3.5, in the Gymnasium I got it to 4.5 - that's not even cranked. So don't spout that BS that a combo won't cut it.

And the Laney LH120 doesn't even represent 'Laney tone'. The Laney tone is a Trebly British Classic Rock tube tone, not a cheapo Hybrid amp.

The Randall RG50TC is a 50w Tube combo, and has a far superior quality of tone to the LH120 in every way. It's a different tone - as you point out - but it's better.
Quote by MrCarrot
The Randall RG50TC is a 50w Tube combo, and has a far superior quality of tone to the LH120 in every way. It's a different tone - as you point out - but it's better.

I beg to differ. You see, the best thing in this world, is that different people can enjoy different things. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for me.

THAT'S WHY I ALWAYS START BY TELLING PEOPLE TO TRY DIFFERENT AMPS WITH THEIR OWN GUITAR BEFORE BUYING, AND THEN BUY THE ONES THEY LIKE THE MOST.

Then, i proceed to advice with my own experience, which is the intermediate amps, cheapish (since i've been trying amplifiers for a few months to prepare and decide which one to buy, and i'm on a tight budget -- my parents aren't rich).

But since i try to help, and you keep putting me down, i'm going to play in my guitar instead of sit here and talk about playing it.
Because i come here to seek help and share what i can, but it seems that it's not very appreciated.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
a crappy solidstate halfstack is NOT an "intermediate" amp. it's a huge gimmick by being a practice amp just made with more wattage. how's that any better tonewise? it's not.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
4-5oo Euros... I dunno, I'd probably recommend a Laney VC or LC 30. The LC's have a more hi-gain/modern American feel about them, whereas the VC's are more British amp sounds. Would've recommended a Marshall DSL401 but t'is out of your price range somewhat. However, a VC 30 will easily be loud enough for most gigs you'll need to do, and the price ain't too shabby either. Bear in mind a 15W valve/tube is equal to 50W in solid state terms, and that's loud enough to be gig-worthy. A 30W is equivalent more or less to a 100W solid state behemoth, so just stick with a combo. For one, they'll be lighter than picking something up like a Spider or MG half-stack and will sound far more professional.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
yeah i know the fender frontman is pure sh*t. hmm i know randall are more for the pantera, metallica tone (the RAN RG 100 G3 COMBO looks nice) but i'm more into the hard rock tone like slash uses.
if you're going for hard rock/metal and randall, go for the rg50tc.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
peavey valveking > JCM800 combo

also u said u favoured a lany lx120 stack- you should have a look at th LV head, its only a bit more expensive but its a tube hybrid with a great metal sound. the lx just comes with a unch of fx u probly wont ever use. get tube when possible and get hybrid when on a budget.
and sorry but
fender frontman > line 6 spider
i have owned both.
hehe, thx dude. i will try tha laney or just get 200€ more and buy a DSL401
get a laney LC30II...great tone and a ton of volume...i have the LC50II and i've never gigged with it using more than 4 on the volume knob....trust me with a 30 watt valve combo u'll get a lot of power...even if u play in huge clubs u still have enough power and if u don't than stick a mic in front of it and blast it out of ur pa system...i really like laney, great overdrive channel....i play hard rock/grunge and don't use any overdrive pedals. another thing i like about laney is the reverb it has,really warm and deep. the LC30II is around 450 euros...i don't think u need to spend more money on an amp this one should really do the trick...one thing i would change asap is ur guitar
Quote by bestscorer
get a laney LC30II...great tone and a ton of volume...i have the LC50II and i've never gigged with it using more than 4 on the volume knob....trust me with a 30 watt valve combo u'll get a lot of power...even if u play in huge clubs u still have enough power and if u don't than stick a mic in front of it and blast it out of ur pa system...i really like laney, great overdrive channel....i play hard rock/grunge and don't use any overdrive pedals. another thing i like about laney is the reverb it has,really warm and deep. the LC30II is around 450 euros...i don't think u need to spend more money on an amp this one should really do the trick...one thing i would change asap is ur guitar

I'd say a 30 Laney too - a 30W valve is close-ish to 100W of solid, and the LC's are more high gain than the VC's are, which give a lodu N' dirty british sound, whilst the LC's are more American-geared.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
a peavey valveking would be better than a DSL combo, iv read a load of reviews on the VK and practicly every one compares it to a DSL and says it buttrapes it for half the price. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA that more or less convinced me to buy it- the only reason i dont own one now is tha only places that sell them in my price range £200 or $400 dont ship to UK. Now im chasing some guy up about a laney vc30 for £180!
**** that im getting the VK for 280 instead!
i change my mind alot but i still say marshall are overpriced and peavey are underrated
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Most of this thread is full of fail.

just like you not doing anything