Ok so I've started many threads about these amps but I figured I'd compare all three of them together and see what people think is the best.

I currently have a flextone III plus with a FBv express pedal, and what I want to know is how will this amp compare in overall tone with:

a peavey valveking with a tube swap and a speaker swap?

or a

Traynor YCV50 blue

Which will sound better at louder volumes? Which has better cleans? Which has better high gainish modern sounding distortion? Which has better overall tone in general? Which one takes pedals better? etc...

I'll probably end up trying them out sooner or later but I'd just like to know what UG thinks first

Thanks
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I don't have a lot of experience with the Flextone. That said...

The Valveking is a budget amp, and given the love I see here for the Flextones, I'd imagine that you'd be better off with what you've got.

The VK has more gain on tap than the Traynor YCV Blue, but that Traynor is one of my p-et amps on this board. I think it's the best "Marshall sounding" amp on the market for the price, with excellent cleans and a terrific classic rock crunch. It's not a metal amp, but will take pedals very well. Tube amps, in general, will take pedals better than even the best SS amps.

If you're looking for modern gain, rather than buying a VK and upgrading it, I'd suggest you look for a better amp in the first place. The YCV 40 actually has a more modern voice than the 50, and is an amp you should look into, too. But maybe a second-hand/leftover Mesa F50 would be better, though. Or a Rivera, Genz Benz, etc.

A lot to look at.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
what exactly do you consider "high gain"?
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
i guess high gain would be your typical "mesa dual recto metal sound" thats problably the farthest i'd push it though, I play mostly punk, pop-punk and some screamo/emo and metal
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
i guess high gain would be your typical "mesa dual recto metal sound" thats problably the farthest i'd push it though, I play mostly punk, pop-punk and some screamo/emo and metal

yeah id listen to what slats said then.

i mean, i was trying to decide between the traynor and the valveking but i play classic rock and stuff a lot softer than you do.

how much money were you thinking about spending?
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
I was thinking something around $600-850 CAD I could go a bit more but I really don't want to.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by slatsmania
Tube amps, in general, will take pedals better than even the best SS amps.

If you're looking for modern gain, rather than buying a VK and upgrading it, I'd suggest you look for a better amp in the first place. The YCV 40 actually has a more modern voice than the 50, and is an amp you should look into, too. But maybe a second-hand/leftover Mesa F50 would be better, though. Or a Rivera, Genz Benz, etc.

A lot to look at.

I definatly disagree with the statement about tube amps taking pedals better. There are quite a few solid state amps on the market that have basically 0 color to their tone, Crate is a big one. The Marshall MG is pretty colorless too. If you throw a good preamp in front of these things it can sounds pretty good.

IMO, nothing sounds worse than a Fender amp (usually it's the hotrod which is recommended) trying to do metal. The highs are out the roof and it has the naturally scooped tone on top of a distortion pedals naturally scooped tone...might as well listen to an alarm clock's beeping.

As for the recommendations of amps I'm behind you 100%. I do believe the Mesa F series, if you can find the extra dough, would be a much better choice over the Valveking. The traynor would be a nice amp as well, very versatile, gets a great rock tone and a good metal tone with the right pedals.

But in your situation right now, you have a versatile amp. A quite nice one at that. It seems as though you want to switch to a tube amp just because you've been on UG too long. I would hold off a while and get a pro level tube amp, not just something to fit between the Flextone III and the high gain amp that you really really want.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm going to chime in with my obligatory post...

The YCV40 will not be able to do the Modern recto sound, while it can get pretty dark.

MesaExplorer, I think what slats meant by tube amps taking pedals better, is different from what you mean. If taking pedals well meant having zero color to the tone, you might as well just use a power amp alone. For me, how well an amp takes pedals is how an amp colors the tone of the pedals (if your using them before the preamp.)

In my experience, tube amps take distortion pedals better because of the high end roll off at higher volumes, cutting out lots of fizz you'd usually hear. With delay and chorus, my amps are sensitive to volume changes, and tone changes slightly in tandem with volume, generally getting fatter sounding than on my flextone when I boost the volume a bit.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by MESAexplorer

But in your situation right now, you have a versatile amp. A quite nice one at that. It seems as though you want to switch to a tube amp just because you've been on UG too long.

I agree 100%. The Flextone is a damn good amp, and I wouldn't swap that for a cheap tube amp jut because it's tube. Hold on the the Line6, that's my advice.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
I just recently got rid of my Flextone III for a Fender Metal Head MH-500 which actually has TONS of gain for a Fender & a solid state amp and doesn't sound like a beeping alarm clock. The trick was finding the right cabinet. I would have never believed you could put Fender & metal in the same sentence until now.

For the longest time, I wouldn't part with my Flextone III and my POD XT Live. The owner of the store where I give lessons tried for a long time to make me see what I realize now - Line 6's stuff is processed and will never sound real no matter what you do because it's all computer chips. I set up my POD with a Peavey 5150 setting next to my friend's REAL 5150 and while they were close you couldn't say it sounded like a real 5150...beacause it wasn't. I also ditched the Flextone because it wasn't gig worthy... after 3-4 years of hard gigging it started crapping out in different ways and I needed something more reliable.

That being said, I still kept my POD XT Live only for recording song ideas at home (the computer interface is much easier) and I take it to gigs as backup incase my amp craps out...I can run the POD direct to the board which sounds better anyway. Not the best fix in the world, but if it gets me thru the night then so be it. I'm not cramming up my car with two amps...just NOT happening.

Do yourself a favor and find yourself a "real" amp...you ears will thank you.
i dont think the fender metalhead is a "real" amp, though, cuz its wayyy overpriced. im pretty sure a 5150 will have better gain, and at half the price too
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
ok so the valveking is definitly out, tried it today and wasn't to impressed.

but wouldn't a traynor ycv50blue or a ycv 40 be better than the flextone?

Also what about a peavey classic 30? I heard those are great and I could just stick a dist. pedal to get higher gain.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
ok so the valveking is definitly out, tried it today and wasn't to impressed.

but wouldn't a traynor ycv50blue or a ycv 40 be better than the flextone?

Also what about a peavey classic 30? I heard those are great and I could just stick a dist. pedal to get higher gain.

Why buy an amp that can't suit you unless you put something else in front of it? You can only doctor up a tube amp so much before it's going to sound thin and well...solid state. It's not a metal amp. Sure a distortion pedal can take it into metal territory but I still say you would be disappointed.

If you play metal, save up for an amp that can do metal on its own. You just can't get the thickness out of pedals...unless of course you're talking about those distortion pedals with the preamp tubes. But for the price of those (say anywhere from $100-$300) on top of the classic 30 price ($599) you would have had anywhere from $700-$1,000 to spend on an amp that can do metal as is. For $1,000 you can find 5150/6505 halfstacks, for $100 more you can buy a Mesa F-100 halfstack...options really open up.

I say keep your flextone. It seems as though you just want to switch to tube because thats what everyone on UG constantly recommends despite there being little improvement in tone unless you plan on spending good money on a tube amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ok so I'll keep the flextone for now. Yea I guess UG did kinda push me to get a tube but I have tried some good ones and it really made a difference to my ears. I'm gonna look around for a 5150/6560 combo or halfstack, look at the traynors if I can, then maybe look at some mesa and marshall combos and stacks. Do the recto's come in combo version?

So thanks for helping me NOT get an amp, which sounds kind of wierd haha. I'm pretty sure I would have not been satisfyed with a budget tube amp and will be much better off with a good tube amp. Thanks guys and gals!!
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Do the recto's come in combo version?

Yeah, the Rectoverb:

You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
nice. How much do these cost? also I noticed it says single recto, does it come in dual or triple recto versions?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
I think there's a dual recto combo, the Tremoverb, as for the triple, I don't think so.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

YEAAAAAAAA! While my school team had a hockey practice today, (I'm not playing because I'm hurt but the coach wanted me to be there:S, I jumped a fence and cut through a school yard so I could get to a music store, I wasn't even sure where the store was but I knew it was around the area, thank god it was close So anyways I walk in and the first thing I see is a Traynor YCV40 used for $400, barely used to...like someone bought it didn't like it and returned it!!

Anyways bottom line is this is one of the amps I've been looking for and I have yet to try it (cause I had to run back to the arena in like 5 mins) but I've heard good things and the salesperson gave me a lowdown and I was pretty inpressed. Now People have been telling me to save up for a mesa or marshall or something but they are really expensive and I don't think I'll need a 2000$ amp. So how good is the YCV40? Compared to ss, like my flextone, or compared to a marshall or single recto combo?

Thank you!!
Gear:
Line6 UX2
you were too hurt to play hockey but you could jump over a fence? nice

on topic: that is a very very very good bang for the buck. Aside from it being a very good amp, I'd buy it just for the notion that maybe when I do want a different amp in the future, I could always sell this one for more than I paid for it. Well, I being you.
haha well there was like a snowhill that I climbed up to and just jumped over over the fence, and its my shoulder thats hurt so yah, I'm not bull****ing my coach though haha.

yea I felt it was a good buy too, any other suggestions?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
I thought you liked your Flextone again since you were able to get rid of the treble problem?

I like my YCV40, but I put KT77's in there to get a more British tone. Great amp, though. Bottom line, if you can get the tones you want out of it, I'd say it's well worth the money.

Just remember to always use the boost on the distortion channel. It sounds thin without it.
yea well its kinda on and off. Like sometimes I'll be super happy with my tone and then other times I'll want to throw the amp off a cliff. Its weird, I just want an amp that I can be happy with all the time, without dishing out $2000.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Trust me, you'll be searching for a long time to find that tone. Ask Forsakn how many amps and pedals I have, yet I'm still always on the look out for something new. Hell, I have an overdrive pedal that costs almost as much as a flextone III.

It's nigh impossible to find a tone that you will be happy with every single day, without ever wanting anything new.

My Quickrod has great tone for days, but some days, I find I'm not feeling it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
Hell, I have an overdrive pedal that costs almost as much as a flextone III.

wow, that must be a damn good pedal!

but I see you have a ycv40, do you think you could tell me what you think of it?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
I'd go with the flextone actually
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by mrxtreme_4
wow, that must be a damn good pedal!

but I see you have a ycv40, do you think you could tell me what you think of it?

It is a damned good pedal, it's a Klon.

Yeah, I love this amp, it holds a special place because it's so cheap, and beats out the classic 30, hotrod and similar amps. I love separate EQ's and the contruction, even the autobiasing feature, where you can mix and match 6L6's. I'm sure you can do that on the YCV50blue as well, but with EL34's. IT really is almost boutique.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

klon? never knew they existed, im still kind of a noob:S just did a search though and it seems like its the holy grail of overdrives.

Thanks for the advice too.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
So I tried the traynor today and loved the cleans and the OD was good. However I think I'll just buy it (store has a 30 day return policy) to try it and then return it if I don't like it.

And my budget has gone up to 900$ so keep the suggestions coming
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Feb 15, 2008,
if you need gain and still want to go tranyor, i'd look into the YCS series. surprising amount of gain on those things. stock with Vintage 30's as well.

the 50 watt combo goes for about $800 right now i think.. switchable to 15 watt.

quick edit: in fact that ycs50 is going to be my next amp purchase. its really damn good for metal.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^YCV40 or YCV50?

ycv40

and I never even thought of any other types of traynors^^ because everyone keeps saying great things about the ycv series. But I don't need to stay with traynor, its just I've heard they're great for the price. Any other brands are good too.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
the ycs is commonly overlooked and i think its because its pretty new. the YCV has been around for awhile so they've established themselves and great amps. But i must say the YCS do a better job at the hi gain stuff than the YCV series. but its got some great clean and mid gain settings as well. its just wanna those things you gotta sit down with for a good 20 minutes to explore all of its options.

what kinda music are you playing btw?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well I used to play a lot of punk+pop punk (blink 182, taking back sunday, sum 41, the ramones) but I am starting to get into some heavier emo/sreamo and metal styles. While I do like to play some ac dc and GNR every once and a while.

I'll look into the ycs and see if any shops have it, thanks for the reccomendation
Gear:
Line6 UX2