I didn't think this should go in the ska/punk forum because it has to do with the technique and not music discussion. Anyway, I was wondering about a certain technique that is used in a lot of ska and punk songs, playing a chord while muting the downstrokes and playing the upstrokes. an example of this is the song "time bomb" by rancid. the tabs look like this:

e:--------5----5----x----5----x----5----x
B:--------5----5----x----5----x----5----x
G:--------6----6----x----6----x----6----x
D:--------7----7----x----7----x----7----x
A:--------7----7----x----7----x----7----x
E:--------5----5----x----5----x----5----x

thanks in advance for your help
I can play it, and I can't see what I'm doing wrong, but i cant get the same sound as the actual song.
Seems like you understand it pretty well...you mute on the downstroke, then press down on the upstroke, usually only hitting the three highest strings. That's how most ska/reggae is played. Don't mute with you palm, though, mute with your fretting hand, it sounds much better that way. Do you have a more specific question? This is my main playing style, and it's fairly simple, so I'd be glad to help if you have any questions.

edit: okay, I see the problem now. Focus on only hitting the high strings, but fret the entire chord. Mute with you fretting hand, and not your palm, and play on the clean channel. Let me know if it's still not working for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah, that helped quite a bit, i guess i was hitting mostly the lower strings, also i had distortion on. Thanks a lot! (:
No problem! Any more questions, feel free to PM me or something.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite