Page 1 of 2
Man wtf I put in hours and I dunno how much more patience I can be. I've been playing for 7 months I still can't shred, impro still sucks, still can't play certain songs, certain tapping solos are hard. Seriously wtf do I have to do? I'm lost at this point. I've done exercises but I feel like they're not working. My picking hand just can't keep up. I dunno if it's my technique or what. But it's just pissing me off now. Seriously sometimes I just can't motivate myself to play. People always say practice makes perfect, well wtf am I doing wrong then?
Dude it is 7 months........To be a good shredder you need about 2 years experience...but if you are not patient don't play the guitar.

and I'm serious if you are not a patient don't play the guitar.
keep practicing man, its all you can do, i still suck at everything too, but all you can do is practice
you could play for 20 years and still not shred. if you want it that bad you can have it.
Last edited by deathpidgeon at Feb 10, 2008,
Patience. my friends say I can "shred" but what I really think it's just a bunch of random notes I play.

Don't worry, I've been frustated with the guitar too, just practice and practice at your own pace.
Last edited by esp1234 at Feb 10, 2008,
7 months...Lol.

Sorry, you cant learn to play like Kirk in 7 months.
theres no such thing as human perfection so they're wrong thats a good thing)
but 7 months isn't very long.
best thing you could do for confidence is record yourself playing and listen ti it the same way ud listen to a cd not inspecting it but relaxing and enjoying it.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Oh man, not another one of these posts....

7 months is nothing!! Nobody can shred after 7 months of playing! Hell, a guy I know, can only barely play a handful of chords, and he's been playing longer. You WILL get better, and practice does make perfect!! And as a final bit: Improv is the bit everyone wants to be great at, and trust me, only now is mine starting to look up, and I've been playing going on 1 + 1/2 years.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and I can't shred. (maybe 'cause I don't want to but still) You've been playing for seven months, don't worry about it. It'll come, just keep practicing.
wtf?? you expected after 7 months of playing to be able to shred? ive been playing 4 years and still cant do it, granted i dont actually play much shred but whatever... do you really think all the pro shredders could do what they do within 7 months of them pickup up a guitar? a clue, no
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Lol I've been playing for about 3 and there is still plenty of **** that blows my mind when I try to play it. Don't Worry. I still have a hard time sweeping. Keep on Keepin' on.
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
Quote by Ze_Metal
7 months...Lol.

Sorry, you cant learn to play like Kirk in 7 months.

I beg to differ. But Kirk sucks anyway.

At any rate, dude, it's just seven months. Keep practicing if you want to get better. Everyone else had to. Only a few people can really pick something up in a short amount of time.

But if it really frustrates you that much, then maybe the guitar isn't for you. Perhaps you should try something else? Either way, good luck in what you do.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
I beg to differ. But Kirk sucks anyway.

At any rate, dude, it's just seven months. Keep practicing if you want to get better. Everyone else had to. Only a few people can really pick something up in a short amount of time.

But if it really frustrates you that much, then maybe the guitar isn't for you. Perhaps you should try something else? Either way, good luck in what you do.

Thats the truth my brother
if you quit can i have ur guitar and amp
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Your expectations are too high. Everyone wants to take giant leaps but most of us can only take baby steps. Realize that the guitar is an extremely difficult skill to master and rushing it will only cause frustration.
Before I started playing guitar, I knew going in that it was very challenging so I expected to learn very slowly. When I struggle playing something new and got frustrated, I put it on the back burner for a while and learned something a little easier but not too easy. There's been several times when suddenly something just 'clicked' and I was able to play that song I struggled with.

If you can't play something, either slow down (no really...slow the 'F' down more then you think!) or try something else for a bit. Lack of patience will have your guitar collecting dust in no time.
Quote by giantsfanftw
7 months
*Cough*
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Why do you say Kirk sucks? He may be past his prime and not the fastest player of all time. He may overuse wah. He may do alot of things that people don't like but the point is he has written some really great stuff and has accomplished things you will never do.

You could compare kirk to people who play similar music at the top-tier level metallica is, and say he is not as skilled at guitar as the competition. But he has inspired alot of people, he HAS written very good music, sold millions of albums, and is praised by millions of people for his work with Metallica. I guess you could still say that he sucks at guitar, but is a good musician in general, but to me that is just splitting hairs.

That being said, I'm not a metallica loving fanboy. I enjoyed their older music, but not the newer stuff. I certainly don't hail Kirk as a god, nor do I think he deserves it, but I can say that he is better than you will ever be, so you don't have the credibility to dub him as a sucky guitarist, and I challenge you to try to prove me wrong.
Quote by Don223
Your expectations are too high. Everyone wants to take giant leaps but most of us can only take baby steps. Realize that the guitar is an extremely difficult skill to master and rushing it will only cause frustration.
Before I started playing guitar, I knew going in that it was very challenging so I expected to learn very slowly. When I struggle playing something new and got frustrated, I put it on the back burner for a while and learned something a little easier but not too easy. There's been several times when suddenly something just 'clicked' and I was able to play that song I struggled with.

If you can't play something, either slow down (no really...slow the 'F' down more then you think!) or try something else for a bit. Lack of patience will have your guitar collecting dust in no time.

Ya you're right my expectations are really high now that I think about it. But most of the bands I like have very talented musicians. Only thing I can play that i listen to is burzum. So what am I suppose to practice other then music theory?

Ya I guess I should slow it down a bit.
Quote by Techtonic
Dude it is 7 months........To be a good shredder you need about 2 years experience...but if you are not patient don't play the guitar.

Or any other instrument.
Quote by Hezix
Why do you say Kirk sucks? He may be past his prime and not the fastest player of all time. He may overuse wah. He may do alot of things that people don't like but the point is he has written some really great stuff and has accomplished things you will never do.

You could compare kirk to people who play similar music at the top-tier level metallica is, and say he is not as skilled at guitar as the competition. But he has inspired alot of people, he HAS written very good music, sold millions of albums, and is praised by millions of people for his work with Metallica. I guess you could still say that he sucks at guitar, but is a good musician in general, but to me that is just splitting hairs.

That being said, I'm not a metallica loving fanboy. I enjoyed their older music, but not the newer stuff. I certainly don't hail Kirk as a god, nor do I think he deserves it, but I can say that he is better than you will ever be, so you don't have the credibility to dub him as a sucky guitarist, and I challenge you to try to prove me wrong.

There are and were a lot of players that are far better then kirk. Metallica isn't really my cup of tea. I use to like them when I was a metal noob. But when I discovered better bands metallica just wasn't the same for me.
Quote by Hezix

I don't hate Metallica. I just hate post-Dave Metallica. Worst mistake that band ever made. And when they made the Black Album, it really didn't help their situation any.

And no, he's not better than I will ever be. He may be better than me now, but he's been playing just a TAD longer, I'd say. Me, I've been playing a year and a half, and my band's already pretty big where we're at. We've actually been invited to play at some Battle of the Bands competitions around here. So yeah, you can diss me to make yourself feel better about Kirk sucking, but it doesn't change the fact that Kirk sucks, and that there just may be a shot that I'll be bigger than him someday. Not saying it will happen, but there's always the chance. I just need to keep up the practicing. Just like the thread poster. You're never really done practicing, never really done learning.

I'm not going to start a flame war over whether or not Kirk is a "good" guitarist or not. I just came to give this guy some advice.
Quote by Hezix
Why do you say Kirk sucks? He may be past his prime and not the fastest player of all time. He may overuse wah. He may do alot of things that people don't like but the point is he has written some really great stuff and has accomplished things you will never do. I bet in 2-3 three years I will run circles around kirk.

Trust me kid if it wasn't for Dave Mustaine or Cliff Metallica wouldn't be the giants they are now.People are forgetting the amount of work Dave mustaine put into Metallica and I think that people should really be thanking Cliff and Mustaine for what Metallica was.Didn't James do make solos for Kirk?

Dude all I need to do is is live off the Metallica name and I'm as good as Kirk cause that is what he did.

The tools I need to become as good as Kirk.

1.A lot of wah wah pedals

2.Make James make my solos

3.Make Kill em all solos my guide line

4.and more wah wah

5.Make more crappy solos with blues scales and penatonic scales.

6.Make alot of mistakes live

7.Create the best ALBUM EVER ST.ANGER!

8.more wah
Quote by giantsfanftw
Man wtf I put in hours and I dunno how much more patience I can be. I've been playing for 7 months I still can't shred, impro still sucks, still can't play certain songs, certain tapping solos are hard. Seriously wtf do I have to do? I'm lost at this point. I've done exercises but I feel like they're not working. My picking hand just can't keep up. I dunno if it's my technique or what. But it's just pissing me off now. Seriously sometimes I just can't motivate myself to play. People always say practice makes perfect, well wtf am I doing wrong then?

oh im sorry mr perfect were you expecting to be able to play cliffs of dover and canon rock by sight reading??

P
R
A
C
T
I
C
E
all i can say is practice. the way i (kind of) got even semi-good is just sitting on the couch and watching tv and working on going up and down strings and just do that. its a step to sweeps and whatnot.

Im not amazing and ive been playing for 2 years.

practice practice practice.
Dude, I've been playing 2 years and I can't... plus I played bass for 5 years before that so I had the hand strength plus some of the skills a total beginner wouldn't have...

Just keep playing... although I'm not trying to be a shredder... I'm more of a classic rock type guitarist... but even with that I don't have the speed that they have...
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
ye i've been playing for 4 years and i still cant shred, it takes time, be patient.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Hezix

+1

Kirk doesn't suck, he's not !!AWESOME!!, but he is pretty good.
Quote by Techtonic

2 years??? Im preety sure Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Petrucci, Gilbert etc have played for longer then two years.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Ok I'm sorry but I refuse to believe it's gonna take years before I shred

I'll practice hours a day if I have too just doing exercises.
Quote by giantsfanftw

If you refuse to believe it'll take years before you'll be good at guitar, stop playing now.
Quote by giantsfanftw

Believe what you want, just remember to practice.
Quote by Hezix

Kirk may not be the greatest guitarist ever, but hes made alot more money and inspired alot more people to pick up the guitar then most other guys, so he still has respect from me.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
I shouldn't have been so close-minded in my post, since that was the exact thing i was criticizing you for. I did not intend to discourage you from striving from your goals. However I still stand by what I said, but not soley for the reason that he has a skill that is unreachable to other people. There is alot more bands out there to compete with and alot of people sharing music on the internet, so it's nearly impossible to do what metallica did, because they had it easier.

Congratulations on your invites to battle of the bands. I played a couple but never got big in the band i was in at the time. Keep playing and maybe one day you'll make it.

And to the thread starter, it will take a lot longer than 7 months to gain any respectable skills. Everybody struggles through the first year, and that first year is what will make or break a guitarist. The ones who push through are the ones you see on music videos and youtube playing excellent stuff. The ones who give up are the guys who have a guitar in their basement and still wish they would have kept practicing. Patience is the most important thing to learn in music. So after 7 months you are learning the most important lesson, you have to be patient, and it will come. Once you understand that, you will later notice that your practice payed off. Try other genres of music, especially blues. To be good at improv you have to feel the music, and it will pour out of you. Blues will teach you to do that. Shredding is the absolute worst thing you can start off practicing. Set that as an ultimate goal, and set smaller goals to achieve that will lead to your ultimate goal.
So for the guys that have played for years and can't shred. How many hours you guys practice a day?
Quote by giantsfanftw
So for the guys that have played for years and can't shred. How many hours you guys practice a day?

At least 2. I play while I'm on the computer, phone, etc. When I'm at home, I almost always have a guitar with me.

I CAN shred, but I don't have uber mega omg epic shred skills like Vai. I can do pretty good sweeping, and other stuff used in shred, but I'm not incredible. My friends say I am, but they aren't guitarists, and think anything I play is.
umm, what are you guys talking about? 7 montha is pretty long, and it depends what song your playing. If it's through the fire anf flames then yes, it will take years to shred like that, but if your talking about the shredding in the sweet child o mine solo kind of thing then that only takes a little while.

I started guitar last year and played it for 3 months, stopped, and started playing again 2 weeks ago. and i play pretty well, i can play scom solo, lots of queen and acdc solos too. I practise very long every day, so you've gotta put everything into guitar.

But if your trying to get something like the master oof puppets solo, that'll take longer
Page 1 of 2