Basically, my friend and bandmate is looking to get a certain distortion tone. Similar to that of The Offspring or The Pillows (Japanese band), a sort of punk and/or grunge sound.

His current setup is a Johnson Strat copy (he hopes to upgrade soon), a Fender Frontman amp of some sort (again, hope to upgrade soon), a Vox wah, and I'm not sure if he's using a distortion pedal currently or not.

So, hmm, I guess this is both an amp and effect pedal thread....

But yeah, any recommendations on an amp and a pedal to get him the sound he wants?

I was thinking possibly a Big Muff or some sort, or a Digitech Grunge distorion or Bad Monkey or something similar. However, I'm not experienced with pedals, so other opinions are needed.

Help is greatly appreciated.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
theres a boss punk distortion pedal out there, i think

it's reall just some good overdrive, so you COULD just get like a marshall or crate amp or some thing... (NOT AN MG!!!)---------------------------------------------------------------^^^^
Last edited by doomed1 at Feb 10, 2008,
I own the Digitech Grunge, and I really don't like it.

I'd suggest something like the Digitech Hot Head or Hot Rod, or a Boss DS-1.

As for an amp, try a Peavey Valveking.
Well, dunno. He's not exactly rich or anything (neither am I, but not quite to the same extent he is), no disrespect to him or his family of course, but it'd be a fairly low price range.

Speaking solely in regards to the pedal, say under $100. That's a very rough estimate, of course, and as far under that as possible the better.

Dunno about the amp.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Okay, on the matter of the amp....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-15-Combo-Amp?sku=480521

That's the amp he has. Obviously not gig-worthy (maybe miced up, but even then....), but it's apparently a discontinued model. that surprised me. Will this do him well enough for now? We don't plan to be gigging until at least the summer and stuff.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
i still say a new amp is more important. you will get laughed at if you try to gig with that. thats one of the amps you get in the beginner starter packs. not to say its a ad amp its just a begginer amp. maybe look into a vox amp or maybe the roland cube. what he should do is get a job and work until summer and save up to get a new amp. if he is too young to get a job go mow lawns, pull weeds, clean houses thats what me and my brother did when we were little and you can really make a killing once you get a client base
Well yeah, I'm gonna press him to get a new amp whenever he gets a job. Maybe one of those new Blackheart tube amps, whenever they come out. (I plan on getting one.) If you have another suggestion, feel free to suggest.

For now, I'd just like to know of a decent pedal to suit his needs. I'm already looking at the ones suggested, open to more ideas.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
depend on the price and what kind of amp he wants (solid state or tube)
ss- i say go for the roland cube- easy to use great sound for a Solid State or even a peavey bandit
tube-valveking,classic 30 somthing in that range should do him good
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
oh wait, come to think of it he's expressed interest in a Vox Valvetronix of some sort.....think he'd be able to get the tone he wants from that?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

Either this one or the 30 watt version, maybe?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Feb 11, 2008,
I'm trying to sell an upgraded vox 30 watt valvetronix. I used it for about a year and its still in great condition. I have the footswitch to go with it and I also upgraded the speaker to a celestion. It would definitely suit your friend well if he is interested. PM me!
if ur gonna get a valvetronix bear in mind u wont b able to use a gain/boost or pretty much any sort of pedal with it as it has a gain limiter
Bumping this, because I need your opinion again.

I showed him a bunch of sound clips online, mainly of the Digitech pedals. He liked the Bad Monkey a lot, but he also took a liking to the Boss DS-1 Distortion. That being cheaper, that's the one I'm looking at.

What's the general opinion of the DS-1?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Bumping this, because I need your opinion again.

I showed him a bunch of sound clips online, mainly of the Digitech pedals. He liked the Bad Monkey a lot, but he also took a liking to the Boss DS-1 Distortion. That being cheaper, that's the one I'm looking at.

What's the general opinion of the DS-1?

I don't know, but his priority should be new amp.

By the way, I have a Johnson Strat as well. I have a soft spot for it, I actually think they're really good guitars (at least for the price, that is).
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Bad monkey won't do crap for that amp he has now. It's meant for tube amps (as all overdrives are) and would just cause an SS like your friends to clip in a very horrid fashion.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Fair point. DS-1 would be the best option, maybe?

And I know full-well he needs a new amp. None of us (us being his friends) have the cash for a new amp at the moment (we were trying to get a Vox DA5 for him, but we didn't have enough cash), so this is just to make him happy temporarily.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
DON'T get the Bad Monkey for his current amp.
New amp is his best bet- He's taken a right step to look at Vox Valvetronix's, but for punk/grunge I'd look at Roland Cubes

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
instead of buying a pedal just save that money and put it towards a new amp, and a vox DA5 isn't going to be gig able...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Amps account for almost all of the tone (70% I believe) so he is going to want to look into a tube combo. maybe a valveking would be good for him.
*sigh*

I know what you're saying with this, and I know a new amp is what he needs. However, we're just looking for something for a birthday gift for him, and, well, it's really his girlfriend that's getting it, so it's really just the idea of it. We don't have enough for an amp. We want to get him something for the meantime, which will also serve as a symbolic gesture with the whole girlfriend thing, and that's all I'm asking for with the DS-1.

Under those circumstances, is it really a good idea to just give him a wad of cash and say "that's for whenever you get an amp"?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
*sigh*

I know what you're saying with this, and I know a new amp is what he needs. However, we're just looking for something for a birthday gift for him, and, well, it's really his girlfriend that's getting it, so it's really just the idea of it. We don't have enough for an amp. We want to get him something for the meantime, which will also serve as a symbolic gesture with the whole girlfriend thing, and that's all I'm asking for with the DS-1.

Under those circumstances, is it really a good idea to just give him a wad of cash and say "that's for whenever you get an amp"?

If he spends it on something stupid thats his fault. Tell him if he saves it it will pay off in the long run. IF his girlfriend wants to give him a good gift, get him like a pick necklace or something, buying a crappy pedal is certainly not going to strengthen his relationship! tell him to be economic and think about how much better he could have it if he saved for his amp!
Is it pointless arguing here? I know full well this is going against logic, but as a symbolic gesture, it WILL strengthen their relationship to get an "expensive" gift like that for him. She's trying to make a point to her mother about the whole thing, and I think this'll say something.

Besides, he's not really gigging or preforming yet, and the clean channel on his Fender is good enough (to my ear) to last him until he does. Not the best, but it'll do.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay