i got a seven string guitar a few months ago, and it just looks really boring.

so i'd like some suggestions as to what i can do to it.
must be cost effective aswell, i have minimal funds.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
thin the neck, reshape cutaway, thats what id do
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
i'd say just paint the body some colour other than black, maybe change one of the pickups
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
stickers. cool ones. they are cheap and easily removed with a blow dryer if you decide to go back for whatever reason. i myself am not really into modding my instruments.
I had no idea Peavey made 7-stringers with Floyds...

Anyways, I don't really like stickers. I find they make a guitar look tacky. A custom paint job might be a good fix, though. Pickup swapping can alter the look and tone of your guitar too, sometimes for the better in both cases. Perhaps you can find a pickguard for it that's a different color too.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
if done correctly stickers would not look tacky. my friend covered his yamaha bass in stickers and it looks awesome. i'm not talking mr yuck and smiley faces. they are way more interesting than plain black. custom paint jobs are expensive if you want to do it right. he said it it to be pretty cheap.
You know, my first though when I read the title of this thread was "burn it" but I doubt that's the advice you were looking for.

Anyway, I'd change the pickups (Seymour Duncans), and paint it a different color (but only if you can take your time and do a master job). And I like t heff's idea about thinning the neck. ... If you like skinny necks.
the neck on it is beautiful. i have no problems there.
i have no idea where to start with body work.
i was thinking i could sand the paint off the body and stain the wood, but then i have no idea what the wood looks like under the paint...
i'm definetely not going to cover it in stickers.
the pickups are dimarzios (UP700's) that was the first thing i checked when i got it. and they sound ok, i might change them at a later date.
what do you think of the sanding and staining idea? any tips?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
reshape body contours to make it more comfy id do
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
rape it

wait...what?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by danielrobbyshor
the neck on it is beautiful. i have no problems there.
i have no idea where to start with body work.
i was thinking i could sand the paint off the body and stain the wood, but then i have no idea what the wood looks like under the paint...
i'm definetely not going to cover it in stickers.
the pickups are dimarzios (UP700's) that was the first thing i checked when i got it. and they sound ok, i might change them at a later date.
what do you think of the sanding and staining idea? any tips?

yeah do that, if it looks crap then just paint it a solid colour. Otherwise a blue burst might look cool. Also if you do a trans finish a see-thru pickguard would look bitchin'.
You'd have to make it yourself. Obviously you can just use the old guard for that. You could even change the shape if you wanted to make it more intresting, as well as sticking a design on it.

Quote by jborden07
sell it and buy a six string, seven strings don't make you more metal!!!

who's saying they do? There are other reasons people use them.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Feb 11, 2008,
Get some Dimazio pickups, your choice, in green+black (make sure that two of the same colour face eachother in the middle) then get green knobs and switch that pickguard for a Black/green/black one, looks awesome now!
Polish it.... just kiddin! I think you should probably refinish it but im not sure about a stain unless its got a nice grain cos it might not look that nice.. Try and do some kind of interesting paint job though. Nice Ibanez too!
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Paint Godzilla on it

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.