hi, ive been playing guitar now for almost 3 years and i am completely self taught. ive managed to get myself to the point were i can sit down and learn kick ass rock songs like GNR etc, learned many scales and started to put together my own songs, riffs, solos etc but i have come to a certain point in my playing.

i know that i have advanced pretty well and picked up a lot of stuff but i feel like i want to also take a different path. think of what ive done as reading a good action novel, its exciting and huge fun but i feel i need to get deeper into music as a whole, like instead of a good action book maybe pick up shakespeare, if you know what i mean. lol. and get into a whole different light and understand where music comes from.

2 questions now

1 can it be done without going to a guitar teacher

2 can anybody give me some pointers

i would love to really get in deep with the music and try acoustic/classical stuff like that, i know ive not really explained it that well but hopefully you get the point of it lol.

all the help would be gratefully appreciated

thanks
I would recommend a teacher, first and foremost, myself, as long as the teacher was a good teacher. If you take pride in the fact that your were self taught or whatever, that's fine, but it's okay to ask for help with something like music. The difference could be huge if you had a teacher. One thing that happens is you draw more influences and get better just because you're jamming with your teacher every week. That is, of course, if you have a good teacher.

Another advantage to having a teacher is you see where you're flawed in your technique and theory, provided that they know what they're talking about.

Also, you may want to check out the blues and Jazz a bit, not just classical music. There's a lot to learn in those two genres, and they've produced many many beautiful songs, like George Benson's Breezin', or Jonny Lang's "When I Come to You" and "Breakin' Me." Check them out in addition to classical music.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I would recommend a teacher, first and foremost, myself, as long as the teacher was a good teacher. If you take pride in the fact that your were self taught or whatever, that's fine, but it's okay to ask for help with something like music. The difference could be huge if you had a teacher. One thing that happens is you draw more influences and get better just because you're jamming with your teacher every week. That is, of course, if you have a good teacher.

Another advantage to having a teacher is you see where you're flawed in your technique and theory, provided that they know what they're talking about.

Also, you may want to check out the blues and Jazz a bit, not just classical music. There's a lot to learn in those two genres, and they've produced many many beautiful songs, like George Benson's Breezin', or Jonny Lang's "When I Come to You" and "Breakin' Me." Check them out in addition to classical music.

thanks for the reply.

i thought i better put that im self taught just so people would know where i was at. I have considered getting help before but the need was never really there before. Now i feel i have got to the point where i want to go alot deeper into things.

I did have a feeling a teacher would be the way to go after looking at the articles on this site. it seems to be very difficult. i just wondered how possible it was to go for it on your own.

thank you for the advice and thanks for your suggestions on styles and what to look into
id say **** the teacher waiste of money personally im completly self taught my freinds who have taken lessons all failed.. starting just jamming with peeps ud be suprised how much better yr sense of rythem will get... most pple seem to have there own flurs and style (if there any good) u can pick up on pples strong points it will help u become a better muscian and u should read as much theory as possible... think of theory as yr shakespeare
^
The problem is that everyone thinks that they're a ****ing God on the guitar, lessons or not, so it's hard to say who's good and who just has an ego on this site. Plus, your friends either lacked a good teacher or lacked motivation. If you are lacking either of those then you're setting yourself up to fail if taking formal lessons. A big problem that a lot of people have is that they think they'll be playing Kirk Hammett and everything else that they love within a week's time, and don't consider that it takes time and patience. I've been playing for two years and I still find myself growing exponentially as a musician, and it was even more when I had a teacher to guide me.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)