Alright, so I've been looking for a new guitar for some time now, and every time I think I've found the right one, I can never really settle on it. So I'm looking for some opinions. I like to "try" and play a lot of different stuff.

John Petrucci is my fav guitarist but I like a lot of other too. Some stuff I listen to are: Dream Theater, The Beatles, John Mayer, Weezer, Coheed and Cambria, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dragon Force, Audioslave, Boston, The Fall of Troy, Foo Fighters, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Madien, Gun's n Rose's, The Killers, KillRadio, Led Zeppelin, OK Go, Pink Floyd, Rush, The Used.

The top five of those are: Dream Theater/John Petrucci), Pink Floyd, John Mayer, Jimi Hendrix, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
And to complicate things more I would like to keep things under $600 (U.S.)
well dude, I don't know about you, but I would go for a schecter c-1 hell-raiser avenger
Originally Posted by: Colgate Total
"Trim and lube your nut, and your g string should fit in just fine with no friction".
everyone in your top (exept petrucci) is well known for playing a strat, but I'd reccomend an HSS one, cause you ususally need a humbucker to do dream theater stuff.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by frig
go to GC and play a few guitars that you like, if you have a friend thats into guitars take him/her too.

I knew that was coming. I do agree with you, but the only problem is that the closest guitar shop is an hour away, and the closest guitar center is two hours the other direction. I just wanted a few ideas before I took the time (and gas) to drive down and try them out.
fat strat w/ a floyd

what amp are you playing through?

an ibanez S series wouldn't be bad either..
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Yeah standard strat... you can still get the heavy tones of a humbucker from it... I do.

Switch the pickups to bridge and middle or rhythm and middle and you got a humbucker. On your amp just turn the gain all the way up, turn treble about halfway, and turn mids to about a quarter... I can play heavy heavy metal with that plus I play through a Crate RFX... dude if you play around with your setup, most of the time you can get a tone to suit a lot of stuff...
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
my bad.

i meant to type Frusciante instead of Petrucci anyways.
I dont really pay attention to Petrucci or Gilmour so i wouldnt know....

But yeah, if all of them play a strat then definatly do with that.
Quote by thebroken
I knew that was coming. I do agree with you, but the only problem is that the closest guitar shop is an hour away, and the closest guitar center is two hours the other direction. I just wanted a few ideas before I took the time (and gas) to drive down and try them out.

Try out EVERY single (or humbucking ) guitar you see.
Then make a decision.
Quote by deathbyawesome
everyone in your top (exept petrucci) is well known for playing a strat, but I'd reccomend an HSS one, cause you ususally need a humbucker to do dream theater stuff.

I once managed to get some really brutal sounds out of the neck pickup on a strat, no lie, so yeah, they're pretty versitile machines they are.